Hey guys/gals,

Am curious if anyone else has seen this...while browsing through the BB website about 20 min ago, I came across the "Update to OS 4.5 now" link that I mentioned a week or so ago that noone really knew anything about ...

Decided to click it, to see if anything new was out there and lo and behold, there was an "Update Now" button on the website. Clicked it, and the screen below popped up.

Now, I am a bit confused here...As you can see in the photo, the box checked by defaut shows BlackBerry 4.5 (Preferred) and then follows with Version 4.5.0.135 HOWEVER the box below shows BlackBerry 4.5.0.138 and then goes on to say version 4.5.0.101

Now, I HAVE 4.5.0.101 installed on my berry currently...which I am assuming is what the latter means....but for whatever reason the two options are not making any sense to me...they seem to be conflicting? Or am I just tired? lol...I have been working for like 24 hours consecutively, and about to hit the rack...but has anyone else seen this...and what do you guys make of it? Ive been staring at the screen for 5 min trying to make some sense out of what the two options mean...and they dont make any sense..still. lol

On side note, I opted to install the first box (selected by default)...and am currently awaiting the results. I will report back.

Michael

**edit**
    cant post images, i forgot...sorry...heres the link

http://i25.photobucket.com/albums/c67/mconk/mail-1.jpg
    02-25-09 10:50 PM
    .135 is the most current version. It just became available yesterday.
    02-25-09 11:01 PM
    Right...I know this. Did you actually read my post, and view the photo that I linked at the bottom of the post??

.135 is the most current version. It just became available yesterday.
    02-25-09 11:07 PM
    Just got it myself hopefully it works.
    02-25-09 11:09 PM
    Downloaded, and installed. Running smoothly.

Now, when I went back to the same site - it STILL displays BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.138 in the second box, however it says "(Downgrade)" next to it, and under the version column it lists 4.5.0.101 ... I am so lost here. Going to bed. Hopefully I will wake up to someone slapping me for being so ignorant, cause I KNOW I am missing something here! heh
    Last edited by mconk; 02-25-09 at 11:15 PM.
    02-25-09 11:12 PM
    Correct. This one's actually by Sprint/RIM. That's why you see the options. It noticed the one from Bell Mobile already installed. It's asking if you want to keep the current one you have or update to the preferred.

If you are referring to the package number (4.5.0.138) Then the package number is always higher than the firmware number. (4.5.0.101) I think that's what you might be asking about.
    Last edited by AlwaysLostSometimes; 02-25-09 at 11:18 PM.
    02-25-09 11:15 PM
    I didn't have the Bell Mobility version installed previouslly...I had 4.5.0.101 prev installed...didn't bother to upgrade since until stumbling across this page on RIM's site...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 11:58 PM
    On another note-didnt receive the upgrade email others are mentioning either, just decided to checl out the page for updates...anyone else have any ideas?

02-26-09 12:00 AM
    I wonder how this direct download to the BB works when you attempt to sync with a second machine which does not have the new OS upgrade installed????

I want the actual executable. Maybe this is Rim's and vendor's way of making sure you only get the upgrade from your vendor????
    02-26-09 12:26 AM
    lol these phones stilll surface
    02-26-09 01:37 AM
    I have verizon....installed the Bell version so I'm running 4.5.0.127.

I have tried several times to update to the newer .135 verson using the apploader.msi file (about 27M dl) and thru the website BlackBerry - Update your Device Software , but either I get a application error or a message that says I'm runing the "the latest available software".

Apparently, other vzn customers are having the same issues. Aaaargh!!
    02-26-09 07:11 AM

I have tried several times to update to the newer .135 verson using the apploader.msi file (about 27M dl) and thru the website BlackBerry - Update your Device Software , but either I get a application error or a message that says I'm runing the "the latest available software".

I am seeing the same error.
    02-26-09 07:58 AM
    I didn't have the Bell Mobility version installed previouslly...I had 4.5.0.101 prev installed...didn't bother to upgrade since until stumbling across this page on RIM's site...

Yes. Well the name of the download package is EXE4.5.0.138 but the firmware within that package is FW4.5.0.101 With the new update for Sprint Customers the EXE is 4.5 but the firmware within the EXE is 4.5.0.135 Do you understand now? The EXE file will NEVER be correspondent to the firmware version. In other words, both will not have the same file names. The EXE will always have the higher number than the COD/ALX/FW Get it?
    02-26-09 09:10 AM
    so just to be clear i upgraded to the 4.5.0.127 is there a real upgrade to .177 or something higher than im already running and if so would it be any different than the os im running now? Thanks in advance!!
    02-26-09 09:40 AM
    The upgrade is to 4.5.0.135 (app version) from 4.5.0.127.
    02-26-09 09:43 AM
    Downloaded, and installed. Running smoothly.

Now, when I went back to the same site - it STILL displays BlackBerry Device Software 4.5.0.138 in the second box, however it says "(Downgrade)" next to it, and under the version column it lists 4.5.0.101 ... I am so lost here. Going to bed. Hopefully I will wake up to someone slapping me for being so ignorant, cause I KNOW I am missing something here! heh
    That is because the version you had installed was platform 4.5.0.138 and app version 4.5.0.101. When OS's are commented about on the forums we normally comment on the app version.
    02-26-09 09:45 AM
    so is that any better than .127?
    02-26-09 09:51 AM
    so just to be clear i upgraded to the 4.5.0.127 is there a real upgrade to .177 or something higher than im already running and if so would it be any different than the os im running now? Thanks in advance!!
    For some reason, RIM labels the file containing the OS with a different version number, in this case the BELL .177 value, while the OS version number is the .127 value. It sounds as if they may have the same thing going for the Sprint version - two different numbers. But I don't think the EXE file is available as a separate, independent program yet??
    02-26-09 10:12 AM
    Got it. Good.

Thanks for the breakdown...for whatever reason I wasnt getting it last night, but it makes sense now. It seems that most people are still unaware of this new web-upgrade' via RIM's website.

I will assume that the software automatically checks to see which vendor/model you have, and then feeds in the corresponding SW version...very cool. I would prefer updating this way, rather then traditionally having to download, unzip, install, and then update. This way, you plug in, head to the RIM site, hit a button, and the rest is auto-pilot.

Michael

Yes. Well the name of the download package is EXE4.5.0.138 but the firmware within that package is FW4.5.0.101 With the new update for Sprint Customers the EXE is 4.5 but the firmware within the EXE is 4.5.0.135 Do you understand now? The EXE file will NEVER be correspondent to the firmware version. In other words, both will not have the same file names. The EXE will always have the higher number than the COD/ALX/FW Get it?
    02-26-09 10:40 AM
    Thanks...I actually NEVER knew that....interesting

That is because the version you had installed was platform 4.5.0.138 and app version 4.5.0.101. When OS's are commented about on the forums we normally comment on the app version.
    02-26-09 10:45 AM
    Yea ive always done updates by physically downloading the corresponding file. I am switching back to my 8830 tomorrow and was curious on how i would have to go about this in order to update to .135. Im assuming i know exactly where to go on BB's site but im still running 4.2 on my 8830 and want to make sure that when i click to update that i will be able to complete the update.
    02-26-09 10:49 AM
    Yea ive always done updates by physically downloading the corresponding file. I am switching back to my 8830 tomorrow and was curious on how i would have to go about this in order to update to .135. Im assuming i know exactly where to go on BB's site but im still running 4.2 on my 8830 and want to make sure that when i click to update that i will be able to complete the update.
    sure hope someone can save .135 so those of us on VZW can "find and load" it.
    02-26-09 10:59 AM
    The upgrade is to 4.5.0.135 (app version) from 4.5.0.127.
    On another note-didnt receive the upgrade email others are mentioning either, just decided to checl out the page for updates...anyone else have any ideas?

could someone from Sprint/Nextel download .135 and lets those of us on VZW know!!
    02-26-09 11:15 AM

Yeah, and if you go into the "Options" screen to install all or part of the update manually, you'll see version 4.2 stuff in there. I wonder how to get around the Verizon idiocy with their "neanderthal" firmware availability?
    02-26-09 11:39 AM
    Yeah, and if you go into the "Options" screen to install all or part of the update manually, you'll see version 4.2 stuff in there. I wonder how to get around the Verizon idiocy with their "neanderthal" firmware availability?
    Cougar5.0 are you on 4.5.0.127 yet? there are steps to load that posted. right now it looks like those of us with VZW are holding for the .135 PM or IM me if you have questions
    02-26-09 11:50 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD