I just got a text from VZW telling me I can get a free Storm if I sign up for a 2 year contract and add a line.

What is stopping me from getting it - Unlocking it. Cancel the line/service. Pay the $175 ETF. Unlock it for $50. Sell it on eBay for $400. I make $175 on the deal.

Seems like an easy profit...
    02-25-09 10:40 AM
    Sounds easier than it sounds

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-25-09 10:58 AM
    Wait wtf! Is it online order?

02-25-09 11:00 AM
    I believe the contract states they will charge you the cost of the phone as well as the ETF.
    02-25-09 11:15 AM
    To me it doesn't seem like that good of a deal. too much to go through

02-25-09 11:43 AM
    to me...the question is what is wrong with your moral compass, if you think this is a correct thing to do
    02-25-09 11:47 AM
    Seems like a lot of trouble for $175.
    02-25-09 11:48 AM
    Seriously?

Capitalism reigns supreme. Its up to VZW to hedge their bets properly to discourage this.

to me...the question is what is wrong with your moral compass, if you think this is a correct thing to do
    02-25-09 12:11 PM
    Just called them...

I specifically asked them - Can you order a new line, order the Storm and cancel the next day? The CSR said yes, the only charge would be the ETF of $175. I even asked if the Storm would have to be returned or paid for...again the CSR said no.

I can understand VZW clearing out the 8130s, 8330s and 8830s to make room for the new Niagaras on their way in...but moving the Storm? What does that mean?

Interesting if you ask me.
    02-25-09 12:23 PM
    Pretty sure they charge you the full price of the phone if you back out of the contract and don't return the phone.
    02-25-09 12:27 PM
    Well, nevermind. Just read the previous post.
    02-25-09 12:28 PM
    Verizon has the blackberry storm on buy one get one for all customers that have purchased one from a corporate store since it launched. Meaning that anyone who has bought one, can get another free if they add a new line of service or upgrade an eligible line.
    02-25-09 12:28 PM
    Pretty sure they charge you the full price of the phone if you back out of the contract and don't return the phone.
    I believe you are right. If you cancel within 30 days, you won't be charged an ETF (30 day Worry Free Guarentee), so hence if you don't return the phone and you cancel within that period, you will be charged for the full retail price of the phone.
    02-25-09 12:30 PM
    I see nothing in the contract about cancelling the new line for the bogo resulting in retail being charged upon cancellation. I do see a possibility of being charged retail for cancelling within 30 days of activation with the whole worry free thing. The data plan is not contractual and is considered a feature. I removed the bogo storm off of my account and put a dumb phone on that line. It automatically removed the bb data plan. Havent got past the 30 days so I haven't eft'd the line yet.

haha...just read that last post...sweet
    02-25-09 12:48 PM
    No comment on all the static just for a couple hundred dollars, but the free BlackBerry offer is legit. I took advantage of it this past weekend and got my wife a free Storm by adding a line to my existing account.
    02-25-09 12:53 PM
    Just shady. I mean you might not even get $400 for it since your not the first to think of it. Supply and Demand.
    02-25-09 12:55 PM
    go for it! in this economy that sounds like a **** of a plan
    02-25-09 01:24 PM
    I believe the contract states they will charge you the cost of the phone as well as the ETF.
    That's what I always thought too...
    02-25-09 01:29 PM
    i wonder why the bold is staying stong.....o i knw why
    02-25-09 01:46 PM
    just for clarification...

if you get the phone and cancel the line at ANY point before the 2 year contract expires, then you only pay the ETF. The only thing that changes based on the time is how much the ETF is, since it lowers the longer you're active on the contract.

The only times you're charged full price for the phone is:
    1) if you order it online, or get it at a store, but do not activate it for 30 days.
    2) if you exchange the phone under warranty and do not return the defective phone.
    3) you opt to just pay full price instead of getting a contract discount.

based on that info, IF you feel the need to do this, then buy the phone and activate it... and cancel the line or put a regular phone back on it. If you have a line that is already active/eligible for upgrade and are going to keep it, but don't want/need a new phone for it, then upgrade it to the Storm and turn around and sell it. No ETF since you're not cancelling.
    02-25-09 02:02 PM
    I dont really think this is a good idea....
    02-25-09 02:10 PM
    Funny experience over all...

I called and asked the CSR, who happened to be a salesman, point-blank, what if I decide after one day, I don't like having an extra line. He said, return the phone, and all fees would be waved as if nothing happened.

I then asked, what if after 31 days, I decided I did not want the extra line. He told me I would be on the hook for the ETF. I asked about the phone and he said I SHOULD return it. I asked, should, or have to...He said he would have to direct me to customer service, since he did not 1.) feel comfortable answering that question AND 2.) he said he had never been asked that question. Before he quickly transferred me, he made a comment that canceling after 31 days is not really the intent of the program.

So I got the CSR, who told me, yes, the phone is yours after 30 days, minus the $29.99 data plan, $9.99 additional for the line and $25.00 one time activation fee. He said, if you cancel within the first 30 days and don't return the phone, you are charged full retail - which he said was over $500. So I said, "$175 + $29.99 + $9.99 + $25.00 is like $260 less than $500. What do I have to lose?" He said, "Nothing". I said, "Let's do it."

He transferred me back to a salesman. This is the part I thought was strange...I told him what I wanted, i.e. a new Storm, two year contract and a new line to my existing account...he then said the phone would be $199.99. I was like - I was under the impression it was free under the BOGO program. He said he was unaware I was able to get this...he even said something rude like, "how was I supposed to know this, we have only been talking for three and a half minutes." After he started checking my eligibility for said BOGO offer, I had to throw in, "so you're telling me, after inputting a customers account/cell number, you dont have a tab with special promotions on it or anything?" His reply, no. Before the deal was finalized, I had to listen to the automated message about establishing a new account...Again something jumped out at me...

Blah, blah blah...blah...if you cancel after 30 days, your ETF will be no more than $175, and will be reduced by $5 for every month you stay on...Additionally, you MAY be charged full retail for you device if you cancel before your contract is up"...blah blah blah...

So which is it...the CSR said one thing, the recording indicates another...

At any rate, I have another Storm coming to me, that will be worth $240 to me after 30 days. Only one of the three VZW employees I talked to care what I do with it after 30 days...probably mirroring the feelings of the readers of this forum...
    02-26-09 05:25 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD