Okay, suppose I'm traveling and I have only a wired (no wifi) Internet connection in my hotel which I connect my notebook to. I don't want to use my BB (Curve 8900) data plan because either there is no data access where I am or it will have costly roaming charges.

It would be nice to "reverse tether" my BB to my notebook via bluetooth, USB or WiFi to access the Internet through the notebook's Internet connection.

Any ideas?

02-22-09 12:31 PM
    Good question.

Even if "reverse" tethering existed, I don't think you can use BIS services since it has to go through your carrier.

Correct me if I'm wrong...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-22-09 12:39 PM
    Okay, suppose I'm traveling and I have only a wired (no wifi) Internet connection in my hotel which I connect my notebook to. I don't want to use my BB (Curve 8900) data plan because either there is no data access where I am or it will have costly roaming charges.

It would be nice to "reverse tether" my BB to my notebook via bluetooth, USB or WiFi to access the Internet through the notebook's Internet connection.

Any ideas?

There should be a way to use your laptop to turn a wired connection into a wireless hotspot. Check around on google for your specific system.
    02-22-09 12:57 PM
    Search Google for ad-hoc wireless networks

I carry this guy around with me every time I travel: Airport Extreme

I don't trust public wifi's to begin with so I create my own secure one.
    Last edited by elpresidente408; 02-22-09 at 01:33 PM.
    02-22-09 01:31 PM
    Thanks for the suggestions. I looked into setting up an adhoc network on my notebook and connecting to it from my BB. It sounds promising but unfortunately BB devices can not connect to adhoc networks ...

[
    I was going to post a link to the blackberry.com page here but I guess I am too new to the forums.
    Piece this address together if you want to read...
    .blackberry.com/btsc/search.do?cmd=displayKC&docType=kc&externalId=KB14 738&sliceId=SAL_Public&dialogID=97699707&stateId=1 %200%20202700911
    ]

I guess a wifi connection between the BB and notebook are out. Anyone think of a way to do with using a bluetooth or USB connection?
    02-22-09 06:04 PM
    gah...I actually had done something like this over a year ago using a winmo phone. You have to bridge the wifi connection to the wired connection so you can connect to your laptop via the wifi, which routes it through to the internet (however, this probably wouldnt have an effect on BIS and such). Search google for "using laptop as wireless router" or something along those lines.

I did it in windows and linux, but since i only use windows for OS updates anymore, I dont recall what I did. But if you need more info and can't find it, let me know, I'll boot back into windows and peek around. (i dont even have a wifi capable phone anymore, though.....)

Again, not going to work for BIS (though, can you recieve your emails when connected through wifi only normally? if so, then i'd figure you can through this method as well, hmmm, now i think i have to play with this when i get my 8900)
    02-22-09 10:14 PM
    Thanks Psionfenix. Its easy enough to set up my notebook as an adhoc wireless network. There is instructions on the Microsoft web site to do this. Most wifi devices could then connect to it and share the Internet connection. The problem is that Blackberry devices will not connect to "adhoc" wifi networks. Only to "access point" wifi networks.

ps. Get an 8900. You'll love it. My biggest problem is that I can't put it down. I'm coming from Windows mobile. This is light years ahead.
    02-23-09 11:27 AM
    Verizon and I think Sprint have an internet device for making your own cell connection. It's about $200 or so. Plug it into a network connection and have your own cell tower. My house is a "Dead Zone".

I didn't ask any questions. I don't know if there is a service fee for it. It would be cool if you only have to pay for the equipment. Also like to know if it works on the road. Anywhere there is a hard wire internet connection like the OP was referring to. (No international fees in Canada with a pocket cell tower?!)
    02-23-09 12:57 PM
    DLink has a travel router which isn't much bigger than a book of matches and is a versatile travel tool. You can power it over your USB, use it as an accesspoint (with or without NAT), and use it as a bridge. In your case, this would allow you to share the wired connection with your notebook by plugging it into the hotel's network and sharing the connection.

Suppose you only have wifi in the hotel and don't feel like popping 20 euros X2 for your PDA and your Blackberry. Enable internet sharing on your computer and share your wifi connection with the ethernet port on your computer and plug this puppy in to the ethernet port and the USB port. You now have instant internet.

BB should offer a way to use the internet connection off your laptop over USB like you do on a WinMo device.
    02-23-09 06:14 PM
    Solution is Apple Airport express. Not much bigger than a deck of cards, cost effective, and you can hard wire the hotel connection to it, to be used by both the laptop and BB.

Never travel on business without one in my case.
    02-23-09 07:58 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD