Let's say I need to look up an address quickly. Of course we know that we can open the address book and type in the contact's name, and then view/edit the contact that way.

Disappointingly, what I cannot do is type in the contact's name on the home screen (which brings up the phone dialer), and then use the menu button to view the contact. Pushing the menu button on a contact's name brings up a lot of menu choices, but "View Contact" is not one of them.

Am I the only person who finds this annoying? I don't know why the phone dialer and the address book should be different applications - I think they should be one and the same.

Does anyone know a better way?

Mike
    02-20-09 02:22 PM
    I'm not sure what exactly you're looking for, but in options if you turn the Dial From Home Screen option off in the Phone Menu, then you should be able to use the "A" button as a shortcut to the address book.

To view a contact, just press A, and then the contact name. Isn't that what you were looking for?
    02-20-09 02:41 PM
    Or you could also set one of your side buttons to open up the address book.
    02-20-09 02:42 PM
    If you press the Call button once, the call log comes up. Then press the Call button again and KEEP it pressed down and the address book will open. Then type the name.

I agree though that it's annoying that typing from the home screen doesn't open the contact so you can edit it

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-20-09 09:01 PM
    Thanks for that hint, Davoid. Now if I could only remember all of the hints I've read!
    02-21-09 09:40 AM
    I have been wondering that for awhile now, thanks for the tip!

02-21-09 09:42 AM
    Thanks for the tip, Davoid. That's a great workaround.
    02-23-09 01:02 AM
    From the home screen, I just start typing in a name and this opens this address book on the Curve.
    02-23-09 05:35 PM
    I agree that this is super annoying. Why make me go through the extra step of opening the address book just to view/edit a contact?? Blackberry is all about efficiency and speed, but this is one of those things that just doesn't make sense. If I type a contact's name on the home screen, I should have an option to interact with any piece of that contact's info in any way I want.

02-23-09 09:46 PM
    Or have an option to open address book on that contact. I also wish is would search by first inital last name as that is the fastest way to consistantly widdle the list down with 2 or 3 keypresses. John Smith is a pain to find when you have 9 Johns and 4 Smiths. JSM brings up only one contact.
    02-25-09 10:15 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD