The new Android phone has an app that uses the GPS to change the sound profiles AUTOMATICALLY as you reach a certain address or pre set point. You can set a profile for work one for home etc and it changes back as soon as you exit the location. No more forgetting to set your phone to vibrate or mute when you enter your office and then like me forget to change it when you leave work or home until hours later when you see youve missed several calls.
    Now that Google maps is working I think this could be achieved and a GREAT addition to the BB experience.....
    02-19-09 08:46 AM
    very cool idea
    02-19-09 09:26 AM
    I would buy it if someone would develop it.
    02-19-09 10:04 AM
    that is cool. my friend has a g1, and it changes his sound profile to vibrate when he gets to work. very cool.
    02-19-09 11:02 AM
    I would buy it if someone would develop it.
    this IS one i might actually be willing to spend money on
    02-19-09 11:08 AM
    that is a brilliant app
    02-19-09 11:21 AM
    great idea! I would drop a couple dollars for that aswell.
    02-19-09 11:25 AM
    sounds really awesome
    02-19-09 12:43 PM
    You have my money
    02-19-09 12:45 PM
    Great idea! I could use something like this.
    02-19-09 12:46 PM
    I don't believe this is possible right now because the Sound profiles are not accessible using any software APIs right now. That is why there are no (or at least only one I know of) "auto-profile-switching" apps out there.

The one that is out there (BlackBerry Profile Scheduler - Handango) actually uses Keystroke Injection so you have to allow that program to control your BlackBerry. And it doesn't work if your BB is holstered or locked. So not an ideal solution although its as close as we have right now.

Bottom line - a good app to manipulate profiles won't happen until BlackBerry opens up their software to developers more...
    02-19-09 12:55 PM

sfw
    02-19-09 01:00 PM
    this was discussed on berryreview. it was listed under dreamberry apps.

check out this link:
    DreamBerry: Tie Your Profile & Wireless Settings & More To Your Location (Cell Tower or GPS) | BerryReview.com �

that would be a siick app.
    02-19-09 01:20 PM
    i had no idea that the G1 did this...i want that feature...and I want it NOWWWW!!! oh..and can i get a golden ticket too?
    02-19-09 01:25 PM
    This would be amazing. I forget to switch my sounds all the time and this would be amazing.
    02-19-09 02:17 PM
    I again saw this app on the Android today and know how GREAT this would be on the BB someone out there will make a fortune on this app that can work along with the sound profiles. Google enabling the GPS is the first step.
    Calling all Programers, please give it some thought!!!!
    02-19-09 04:31 PM
    Jump......
    02-19-09 10:43 PM
    someone out there has to be able to write something like this...no?
    02-20-09 02:28 PM
    guess.....not

that sucks!
    02-21-09 04:06 PM
    I have the G1 and i use this program and i love it. try contacting the developer of Locale for the G1.
    Last edited by branden3112; 02-24-09 at 07:41 PM.
    02-24-09 05:21 PM
    the developers were a group of students which only made this app to win a contest.... they've already said they do not plan on making it for any other platforms.
    03-01-09 08:32 PM
    the developers were a group of students which only made this app to win a contest.... they've already said they do not plan on making it for any other platforms.
    Those lazy *** bastards. Don't they realize how awesome that app would be?!?!?! I know when I'm standing in formation and realize I forgot to turn my phone off I get one of those "Oh Sh*t!" moments when I realize I forgot to set my phone to vibrate and hope that no one calls when The senior ranking individual is briefing us on something important.
    03-01-09 10:19 PM
    i was able to get a response when i contacted them... seems like a canned response as it refers to the iphone when my question didnt even mention the iphone. It specifically asked about BlackBerry and the Storm... here is what they said:

Thanks for your interest in Locale.

The goal is to reach version 1.0 of Locale on Android first, and then we may consider other platforms.

I'll also mention that Android is the first platform to make apps like Locale really possible. Most phones are very restrictive for developers. As an example, the iPhone doesn't allow 3rd party background apps. Since Blackberry isn't open source, developing something like Locale will be much more difficult.

You may find this interview helpful: Locale App for Android Phones “Wouldn’t Even Be Possible on the iPhone,” Says Winner of $275K Developer Challenge | Xconomy

Thanks and have a great day,
    Carter

So in other words...SOL on this one. They did it to make some money in the contest and I cant blame them for that... If i had the slightest clue how to begin to do this I would be all over it. Something like this could/would be invaluable
    Last edited by cipriani14; 03-01-09 at 10:42 PM. Reason: added more to it
    03-01-09 10:40 PM
    might not be relevant, but RIM released new development tools today, so /bump on this post. got my money too when it happens
    07-28-09 02:48 PM
    might not be relevant, but RIM released new development tools today, so /bump on this post. got my money too when it happens
    you can try our Location Profiler which uses cell tower vs gps.

here is the site Toysoft Development Inc.- Location profile for Blackberry

you need to gether all the cellid for each physical location and then create a new profile based on the cellids.

example would be have two profiles. one at home and one at the office.
    07-28-09 04:52 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD