Hello, I'm new to crackberry, but I've had an 8100 Pearl for about 2 years now. I love it.. I had an 8820 but it got lost. Just wondering if anyone is in the Philippines and actually uses a blackberry. I would like to know where I can get one and the specifics on how internet and such work here. I'm here temporarily on an extended vacation. I really live in California. Let me know if anyone is out there.
    02-19-09 01:04 AM
    So no one in the Philippines uses crackberry.com?
    02-22-09 03:12 PM
    Hello,

I'll be in the Philippines for a month and would like to know if Smart or Globe has a prepaid BIS plan so I can access my emails. I can't part w/ my BB.

Thanks in advance!
    03-01-09 09:17 AM
    Good luck with that. I haven't been able to find any useful info on either provider's websites.
    03-01-09 09:25 AM
    crap.. same here.. Their site was so hard to navigate!
    03-01-09 09:28 AM
    If you're going to be in the Philippines and need to check emails just make a stop by one of the MANY internet shops where you can browse the web for under $0.50/hour usually. I know they also have prepaid internet cards or something but I'm not too sure how they work. I've never tried to ask the sales people at the malls because they might not understand me or can't explain sufficiently enough how it works.
    03-06-09 11:02 AM
    Did ur bb work there as a phone? I may just use mine as a regular cell phone.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 11:34 AM
    both globe telecom and smart communicatios have plans for blackberry users.
    i'm not sure with smart, but i know globe has a plan for 1700php.

hope that helps.
    03-15-09 08:16 PM
    I'm going to be in the Philippine province of Palawan for 3 months, where the infrastructure might not be well developed compared to Manila.

To give an estimate of coverage, I did not hear about internet cafes, but I heard some resorts may let you use their satelite phone!!

I looked at Globe and Smart sites but they didn't advertise a good deal or their coverage?

I'm not concerned with RIM BIS, but I would like 3G browsing.

Any ideas?

03-23-09 03:07 PM
    Mine was from smart. they have yet to connect me to blackberry email service.
    03-24-09 09:48 PM
    I found out that smart dominate palawan, rather than globe. I would rather not buy a new phone.

Do smart have a pay monthy SIM with no contract?

03-25-09 07:53 AM
    both globe telecom and smart communicatios have plans for blackberry users.
    i'm not sure with smart, but i know globe has a plan for 1700php.

hope that helps.
    Hi. I am a blackberry user subsribed to globe.

Here is the actual amount you have to pay for ( it is not 1700).

You need a basic voice plan which can range from 500 pesos to 10000.
    The BIS is 450 pesos per month and uevery kb of use is 15 centavos.
    BES is only provided to corporate accounts and never to individual accounts.

I am on a platinum plan 7000 and I pay additional 450 per month for BIS and 15 centavos for every kb of data received and sent.

For smart, the same rate applies except for the monthly BIS charge, they only charge 350 pesos per month.
    Last edited by blacklighter11; 05-07-09 at 03:38 AM.
    04-14-09 06:27 AM
    You can use your blackberry there in the Phils..I got my phone unlocked, and used a local sim card there(Globe)..I was on vacation there for 1 month last year and chose not to get a post paid account since I wasn't going to be there that long.

However, on occassion I did put my sim card (tmo) back in my bb to email pics and facebook them. I was able to do that
    while my phone picked up a tower signal. What suprised me was the bill when I got back to the states.

I have wifi on my 8320 so that helped a lot when surfing and checking and reply to emails. When I had a stop over in Korea, I used the wifi at the airport to email my family my status of my flight. Even my tmo sim didn't work there because of korea's network.

Using my tmo sim card for pics really inccured the additional roaming charges. Ym doesn't work on wifi as well as bbm since they need data/bis.

Just my $.02
    04-14-09 07:08 AM
    You said smart charge 350 pesos per month. Would I need to have a contract since I'll only be there for three months.

Also, when I arrive in Manila, would it be easy to find a Smart shop to buy just a SIM card by itself?

My phone is unlocked. I have never used BIS with my phone. Would I be given a new email address?

I normally pay for generic 3G data on my BlackBerry because its cheaper. Thanks

04-18-09 08:05 PM
    Hi. I am a blackberry user subsribed to globe.

Here is the actual amount you have to pay for ( it is not 1700).

You need a basic voice plan which can range from 500 pesos to 10000.
    The BIS is 450 pesos per month and uevery kb of use is 15 centavos.
    BES is only provided to corporate accounts and never to individual accounts.

I am on a platinum plan 5000 and I pay additional 450 per month for BIS and 15 centavos for every kb of data received and sent.

For smart, the same rate applies except for the monthly BIS charge, they only charge 350 pesos per month.

Thanks that's very useful info there..but I think I'll just keep using my unlocked Pearl as a "phone" lol those centavos might start adding up real quick. Assuming someone had an unlocked Blackberry could they walk into a Globe or Smart retail location and sign up for their services? Would they require a contract/time commitment?
    04-28-09 01:34 AM
    Thanks that's very useful info there..but I think I'll just keep using my unlocked Pearl as a "phone" lol those centavos might start adding up real quick. Assuming someone had an unlocked Blackberry could they walk into a Globe or Smart retail location and sign up for their services? Would they require a contract/time commitment?
    Afaik yes, BB service would require a contract from either companies...
    05-06-09 09:18 AM
    Afaik yes, BB service would require a contract from either companies...
    If you're not getting any phone, the shortest possible contract they will give you is 6 months.That will be your lock in period for the voice line. the BIS itself maybe disconnected anytime you want to since it is just an added service.
    05-07-09 03:39 AM
    I'm going to be in the Philippine province of Palawan for 3 months, where the infrastructure might not be well developed compared to Manila.

To give an estimate of coverage, I did not hear about internet cafes, but I heard some resorts may let you use their satelite phone!!

I looked at Globe and Smart sites but they didn't advertise a good deal or their coverage?

I'm not concerned with RIM BIS, but I would like 3G browsing.

Any ideas?

I had good reception with globe in Palawan. Which specific place/resort in palawan will you be staying? there were areas where signal was intermittent. I am using globe telcoms.
    05-07-09 03:43 AM
    BB users coming both from the US and the UK should take advantage of UMA while roaming in another country.

idk how if orange has a Intl BB plan since im in the US, but Tmobile in the US has a $20 international BB plan that is unlimited use and its prorated for the the length of your stay outside the united states

With UMA turned on everything via wifi is considered domestic in your country. TMobile is has UMA in the US, and Orange has UMA in the UK. Ill be in palawan next year and get a tmobile line and get the international BB addon.

the best for using BB in the philippines is roaming from another country and using wifi

for TMobile USA users
    the best plan is a voice plan with plenty of minutes, and the Unl BB and Unl sms addon.

When you go the Phils,
    1. FOrward all calls to your voicemail or youmail, youmail will send a text message to you while your abroad and just check via wifi

2. Make sure your sim is cleared for worldclass use

3. Call international services and have them replace the intl bb plan with ur domestic bb plan

4. Make sure u have an unl sms plan because you can receive sms abroad unlimited with an SMS plan

THat should cover you well, just call people back over wifi using UMA, using UMA will only take off your normal minutes since calling over UMA gets domestic rates, everything else also applies for the BB services and SMS. Its like youre in the United states

Just make sure the BB is on wifi mode.

im sure the same would apply to Orange UK users since UMA carriers charge the same thing.
    06-23-09 07:52 PM
    Both major providers Globe and Smart are now offering BIS prepaid which are unlimited data as of December 09....in the Philippines...
    Last edited by OneVille; 01-10-10 at 12:01 AM.
    01-09-10 11:21 AM
    Im currently a postpaid globe user. I was given a bold 9000 unlocked and i installed my Globe SIM in it.
    Can i use prepaid BB services for a postpaid line?
    Are the unlimited services of Globe applicable when you are roaming in other countries?
    The prepaid unlimited data of globe doesnt include internet surfing. If you do surf the net, you will get charged additional.
    01-17-10 10:28 PM
    Hi guys! Newbie here but not yet a BB owner.. well that's because Globe ran out of stock! Anyone knows which branch I can get one? I've been waiting 2 weeks already for their call.. I can't wait for my bb!!
    02-10-10 08:10 PM
    Im currently a postpaid globe user. I was given a bold 9000 unlocked and i installed my Globe SIM in it.
    Can i use prepaid BB services for a postpaid line?
    Are the unlimited services of Globe applicable when you are roaming in other countries?
    The prepaid unlimited data of globe doesnt include internet surfing. If you do surf the net, you will get charged additional.
    Yes u certainly can use ur BB with a prepaid card.. But it doesnt make sense your gona use a prepaid card coz ur a postpaid globe user.. i believe whn u got ur bold from them, it automatically gave u BB services w/c is locked for at least a year right? Thats what i heard if ur a postpaid plan subscriber.. a far as prepaid blackberry services is concerned, its not applicable for roaming in other countries.. hope i answered ur question..
    02-15-10 04:39 AM
    Hi guys! Newbie here but not yet a BB owner.. well that's because Globe ran out of stock! Anyone knows which branch I can get one? I've been waiting 2 weeks already for their call.. I can't wait for my bb!!
    Sory man, cant help u wid that coz Im from Cebu.. There are plenty of BB stocks here from globe coz there arent many BB users here.. Im sure theyl gona have a supply soon.. I know its not easy to wait but u wont regret it having a BB soon..
    02-15-10 04:43 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD