Many discussions on memory space [File Free space] along with tutorials and utilities to remove components to free up space. But, seems to me that in most cases, it is not the initial free memory after a battery pull or ALt-Shft-Bak, but how much stays open in use. For example, I am now on 4.5.0.127 with about 12 MB at reboot which gradually works down to as low as 3.5 Mb before recovering to, say 5-6 Mb on its own. Now, in spite of some warnings about losing things, I have seen no ill effects from this. Still, I am concerned, given all the talk about "memory leaks" and the bad things that will happen.

So, what methods or utilities are there to see what is taking up the "leaked" memory? Working on and managing the memory hogs would be of greater benefit than squeezing out the last few bytes of fresh-boot memory, especially after prudent trimming has already been done.

Thank you
    02-18-09 12:09 PM
    Many discussions on memory space [File Free space] along with tutorials and utilities to remove components to free up space. But, seems to me that in most cases, it is not the initial free memory after a battery pull or ALt-Shft-Bak, but how much stays open in use. For example, I am now on 4.5.0.127 with about 12 MB at reboot which gradually works down to as low as 3.5 Mb before recovering to, say 5-6 Mb on its own. Now, in spite of some warnings about losing things, I have seen no ill effects from this. Still, I am concerned, given all the talk about "memory leaks" and the bad things that will happen.

So, what methods or utilities are there to see what is taking up the "leaked" memory? Working on and managing the memory hogs would be of greater benefit than squeezing out the last few bytes of fresh-boot memory, especially after prudent trimming has already been done.

Thank you
    I think part of thie goes to what apps and themes are you using?? Then from there look at how often you use your phone and what you use it for?? My phone hasn't dropped below 11mb since ive had a BB but i also do regular mem clean and maint. SO what apps and themes do you currently have?
    02-18-09 05:17 PM

Thank you
    I think part of thie goes to what apps and themes are you using?? Then from there look at how often you use your phone and what you use it for?? My phone hasn't dropped below 11mb since ive had a BB but i also do regular mem clean and maint. SO what apps and themes do you currently have?
    02-18-09 05:18 PM
    I am in a very similar situation as Transmit. But to answer your questions, I tried every theme and I cannot get over 5.5 MB. I am using Google with the maps and all that, but it's switch off. I have Facebook and AIM but I never use AIM. I don't know what to do about this memory leak.
    02-18-09 10:50 PM
    When I was using 4.2, I found that if I dropped below 8MB, I would start seeing issues (first with the web browser). Since moving up to 4.5.0.127, I can go down to about 3.5MB and still use everything without issues. it look slike 4.5 can a handle memory a little better than 4.2 could.
    02-18-09 11:09 PM
    I am in a very similar situation as Transmit. But to answer your questions, I tried every theme and I cannot get over 5.5 MB. I am using Google with the maps and all that, but it's switch off. I have Facebook and AIM but I never use AIM. I don't know what to do about this memory leak.
    I have read other threads that state Facebook is a known memory hog with 4.5.0.xxx. I don't use Facebook so not really sure. I've been on 4.5.0.127 for 3 weeks now and only had 2 battery pulls. My memory hold between 26-31mb.
    02-19-09 08:51 AM
    That is very interesting on how you have that many apps and still have ALL that memory. Whats your secret?? haha
    02-19-09 11:19 AM
    That is very interesting on how you have that many apps and still have ALL that memory. Whats your secret?? haha
    to be honest I'm not really sure, dropped the 3rd party themes, and VAD. Battery Pull weekly.. running 29mg right now.
    02-19-09 11:23 AM
    As I mentioned at the top of this thread, I start out with about 12 Mb File Free memory and gradually lose memory down to as low as 3.5 Mb then on its own back up to, say, 6 Mb on its own. Again, this seems to cause no problems, but is a curiosity as to what is causing it. I am on 4.5.0.127, no extra themes, BB Dimension Today is active. Extra applications include Viigo, Google Maps, Beiks phrase books [with the books on media card], Mobi Reader [with the books on media card], Doc-to-go was installed with the 4.5 update. Sample videos that come with the system were removed.

Again, the 12 Mb starting point seems fine. I know Viigo activity uses memory, as does the included Browser. I believe I close other applications, including BB maps and Google maps properly. The memory clean utility under Options/Security, typically does not free up much memory.
    02-19-09 12:17 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD