Hi.

Been a SE user for years. Finally took the plunge with BB buy getting some 8900 and 8320 from tmobile. First thing I can say is that the 8900 rocks! It's the first phone that can replace my trusty P1i (not even the iphone can touch it lol). That being said, here are a few questions which you guys might be able to help.

1. I have 1 TMobile plan, with BIS, which I upgraded to hosted BES. For 5 bucks more, I'm not sure what the differences between the two are since both are hosted.

2. If I purchase a BES professional license, and deploy our own BES server, will I still be required to have a BIS or hosted BES plan with TMobile? If so, then why do I need to setup our own BES server?

3. Our email servers are not exchange but zimbra, which should be compatible with BES using it's BES connector. Has anyone have any experience with this and got it to work with hosted BES?

I'm pretty new to BB and it's architecture so I apologize if some of my questions are noobies.

Thanks once again! Glad to have made the switch!

Francis
    02-17-09 04:14 PM
    BES is a direct connection between a mail server such as exchange or lotus notes and the BES server. It allows for two way sync of email, calendars, tasks, etc.

BIS allows a single user to get their email sent to their device from yahoo, gmail, etc. It syncs mail only.

In short, BES = company. BIS = personal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-17-09 06:29 PM
    Thanks for the info on BES. So if we deploy a BES Server for our company to connect to our Exchange/Zimbra Mailserver, which dataplan would I need for my BB phone? Can it be any dataplan, or does it have to be a TMobile BIS or TMobile hosted BES dataplan? BIS costs 24.9/mo and BES costs 29.99/mo. Then tmobile has other dataplans like tzones for a significatnly lower price than the other two.

Thanks again.

EDIT: Btw, with BES, how many email address can I setup in my BB that is push ready (not IMAP like the 10 emails that comes with BIS)? Can these all be exchange emails?

Thanks
    Last edited by bangsters; 02-17-09 at 06:51 PM. Reason: EDIT
    02-17-09 06:49 PM
    You would need BES plan. As far as email accounts, I am not sure but I have had 4 Bes accounts on my device before with no problems.
    02-17-09 07:01 PM
    You would need BES plan. As far as email accounts, I am not sure but I have had 4 Bes accounts on my device before with no problems.
    If I still need a BES plan from my carrier, then why would I need a BES server when I can just get the hosted BES from my carrier for the same price? This is where I'm getting confused.
    02-17-09 07:28 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD