I am now on my 4th defective 8900 since my first one on the 11th last week.

Here is the list of problems:

1) First phone was great except pixel issue on camera viewer (not dead pixel, but rendering error, which would also leave the 2 specks on images as well).

2) Very bad pixel ripple effect when pressing the END KEY (not screen!)

3) Camera lens was scratched (apparently, the coating on the lens was coming off?)

4) The end key was placed incorrectly on the keyboard. It was angled down into the keypad at the top and thus was at an angle not level with the other keys... very strange. The store rep said, "wow what happened here?" It still worked but made it look damaged and very much 'broke' (keeping in mind resale value later down the road).

The last 3 were from production date: 060209. The first 1 was 160109. I am going to wait until the stores get a new batch and then try again hopefully with a better outcome.

My conclusions: All of the phones (mine and display models) have a slight (usually not noticeable unless you try hard) ripple effect when pressing the end key. Perhaps the 060209 batch (line 22) were bad? All of the phones also appear have a slightly wobbly keyboard (some less than others). And we all know about the vibrate (which could possibly be fixed with an OS update) and the battery door.
    02-15-09 06:24 PM
    Has anyone got an 8900 with a production date passed 060209?
    02-15-09 07:28 PM
    I am having the ripple issue with my phone. I went to exchange it today, and no stores in my area have it in stock. I am going to have to keep trying to take it back. If on the 22nd when best buy releases their device I haven't been able to exchange it, I am returning it and getting a phone from best buy.
    02-15-09 07:37 PM
    How do you find the production date?
    02-15-09 08:33 PM
    I don't got the ripple effect but the bottom right side of my screen makes a click noise when the screen gets pressed with just little slight pressure not enough to return my baby though and isn't noticeable. Everything else about my phone is great though, I'm sorry you got a bad one. Hopefully your next one will perfect! Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-15-09 08:36 PM
    Many of them do the clicking thing. I have tried and seen a total of 7 8900's. The all do the clicking thing. The people on here that say they don't have it is because they don't pay attention. It took me a while to convince the 'expert' rep's at the store about what I was talking about and once they saw it they were like, "oh, NOW I see it." They didn't before though. Out of the 7 I have tried (4 of my own and 3 display), they all have the same wobbly keyboard, some have some ripple effect (although some are VERY minor), the battery door issue.

I even took one of the store rep's 8900's and asked to see it and it did the ripple effect very slightly but he didn't even see it prior to me showing it and didn't think much of it at all. He didn't even mind that it was there and to him, his phone had no issues. Perhaps some people just don't look carefully enough or are not bothered by it or both.
    Last edited by bofeity; 02-15-09 at 08:49 PM.
    02-15-09 08:43 PM
    I'm honestly not bothered by the screen ripple effect... I mean, it goes away right after

Now my back and call end keys have been bugging me, but for some reason, they behaved today, so who knows?
    02-15-09 08:46 PM
    Not all have the wobbly keyboards. I tried two displays today and neither of them had keyboards that wobbled even the least bit.

02-15-09 08:47 PM
    Hmm not sure if this was answered but where do you find the batch number?

02-15-09 09:12 PM
    It's not labeled as batch. But usually the batch of phones produced on a particular date would be more similar than not.

The date is on the label on the box in the format of day/month/year.
    02-15-09 09:37 PM
    Sounds like every other new phone, a few bugs and ticks. I wish I could get my hands on an 8900, I think I could deal with a ripple effect...I duno tho
    02-15-09 09:55 PM
    I didn't notice he screen ripple until I read this and saw it. Haha now it kind of bugs me. Anyway I JUST dropped my phone from about 4ft up and now the keys wiggle. They didn't use to. I bought the phone on wednesday in tmo store. Can I just exchange it? The key wiggle is what bugs me the most...

02-15-09 10:47 PM
    I didn't notice he screen ripple until I read this and saw it. Haha now it kind of bugs me. Anyway I JUST dropped my phone from about 4ft up and now the keys wiggle. They didn't use to. I bought the phone on wednesday in tmo store. Can I just exchange it? The key wiggle is what bugs me the most...

See now that you notice it, it IS there! Just like the Tmobile store rep. I bet he is like, WHY did he tell me this?!

Also, droppping it, ouch that sucks... Yes you can return it for an exchange within 14 days of the purchase.
    02-15-09 10:53 PM
    The 8900 is a beautiful phone. As all RIM's new blackberry's. It's a shame to see their quality falling. The storm, the 8900 etc. Hope they get it right.
    Goodluck.
    02-15-09 10:55 PM
    I got lucky I guess. I just grabbed my phone and tried pushing the end key down fairly hard and watched for a ripple. None. Keys don't wobble and no clicking.

240109 date.

I am happy!
    02-15-09 10:56 PM
    Reading all this is going to make me inspect my phone for any problems. I hope it's good, the last thing I want to do is start exchanging it.
    02-15-09 10:58 PM
    As dad pointed out with each new phone launch there will always be bugs and glitches. That doesn't mean it makes it easier on us, but it is a fact of life with these devices that we encounter.
    02-15-09 10:58 PM
    My phone has both the wobbly keyboard and screen ripple in the bottom right corner. Also, it seems like my system's really sluggish. I keep on getting that loading sign.
    I"m not exactly sure how to read it so i'm just going to tell you my manufacture date. its 201108. anyone know bout any problems with this batch?
    02-15-09 11:05 PM
    i'm on the same boat....waiting on arrival of fourth replacement since getting my first one on jan 28....had two that were production date of 02-06-09
    02-15-09 11:12 PM
    i'm on the same boat....waiting on arrival of fourth replacement since getting my first one on jan 28....had two that were production date of 02-06-09
    It looks like the recent batch was the worst. The 060209 one.

I am glad I am not the only one. You guys need to call customer support and report (and complain) about these bugs and problems. I did that with each and every defect/problem. I am sure my file is huge from the defects alone! That way, they will hopefully make a report out to RIM saying, hey fix your sh*t!
    02-15-09 11:20 PM
    Also, is it just me and noticing things but on all of these defective (and display models) it seems like the cursor speed (switching between icons) in folders (application, IM, downloads, etc.) is more SLUGGISH and delayed than on the homescreen?

It also appears that once you do a reboot it is the same, but then after a while folder icon switching is sluggish.... is it just me being OCD? Has anyone else noticed this? Go to your applications folder and move your trackball on the icons and see how smooth and snappy it is, and then go back to your homescreen and do it there and compare.
    02-15-09 11:25 PM
    The "suggishness" can be improved by an OS upgrade.
    02-15-09 11:32 PM
    Someone want to say where you can find the production date?
    02-15-09 11:39 PM
    Someone want to say where you can find the production date?
    its on the box where it says "date"

what does tmo do with the phones you return? do they count as refurb?
    02-15-09 11:41 PM
    The "suggishness" can be improved by an OS upgrade.
    Aristile, this problem is strange and I do believe it is an OS issue. However, it goes like this. Following a battery pull or reboot, the icon switching on the homescreen and outside of the folders AND inside the folders is the same. NOW, after a while, I am not sure why this is, but it starts to be sluggish. I noticed this on ALL of my defective phones (and on 2 display models). Do you think it is just an isolated case? I doubt it. Check yours out and see if it ever seems that way. It is a VERY significant difference when moving your trackball over the icons on the homescreen and in folders.
    02-15-09 11:44 PM
48 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD