Ok I recently got my new BB Curve 8900 and I love it! But sadly I don't have a data plan because my parents cant afford it right now. So I thought I would be able to atleast use the browser and internet through my homes wifi...but I was wrong! Everytime I try to use the browser off my homes wifi and try to go to like google.com or crackberry.com I get redirected to this tmobile page telling me how I need to buy a tmobile web2go data service or w/e to have internet right on my blackberry...

Did I forget to like enable an option or something on my phone?
    Are you even able to use the internet through ur wifi w/o a data plan?
    Help!

Edit: Nvm my dad got it work! I don't know how but he did, and now I can use the browser!
    Last edited by ChrisDGZ; 02-14-09 at 08:50 AM.
    02-14-09 07:55 AM
    To the best of my knowledge you have to have a data plan to use the browser even on wifi

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 08:00 AM
    You can, you just have to sign in to your wifi. I have done it with all my Wi-FI phones including the Bold, 8900 and Iphone.
    try it
    Last edited by yahia-rph; 02-14-09 at 09:14 AM.
    02-14-09 09:11 AM
    you have to have a data plan to use the browser even on wifi
    Please stop spreading misinformation.

YOU DO NOT NEED A DATAPLAN TO USE WIFI browser !!!
    02-14-09 09:40 AM
    Please advise on how to sign in. I am connected to my home wifi network but I still am having trouble getting on the internet. For example. I type in motogp.com but I still get redirected to t-mobile website. This sucks please help.

I have no data plan with t-mob. I just want to use my internet service and browse the web on my phone. I have the curve, 8320.

Thank you,
    John
    02-14-09 09:54 AM
    You have to set your default browser to the hotspot browser instead of the WAP browser. Thats all

'not cuz you aint got no data plan' PLEASE
    02-14-09 09:56 AM
    JohnGarc this is what you do ...

Options - Advanced Options - Browser - Default Browser Configuration - (Hotspot Browser)

That should do it
    02-14-09 09:58 AM
    thank you sonni, it worked perfectly!
    02-14-09 10:20 AM
    WOW, so what Sonni said worked and you can get Internet without a data plan!!!

No WAY!!!
    02-14-09 10:54 AM
    Great to hear :-)
    02-14-09 10:54 AM
    So you are using the internet without a data plan?
    02-14-09 11:01 AM
    So you are using the internet without a data plan?
    Yes, ever since the 8120 came out
    02-14-09 11:07 AM
    You are able to use wifi internet browser without the data plan. I just cant seem to get the web2go feature from t-mobile to work on my 8900. can someone help. Default browser is always on hotspot. no other option.
    02-22-09 12:44 PM
    Just look on ur icon in the top right of ur phone on the browser. If it says hotspot browser and the wi-fi symbol then your all good. 3G or edge up top means ur on the phone's internet.
    02-22-09 12:48 PM
    Im able to access the web on the hotspot browser through wifi. Top right shows uma/wifi and browser is hotspot. But i wanna access the web through the t-mobile web2go data plan that i subscribed for 9.99. My default browser is still hotspot and im not able to connect to the net when im not on wifi. any solutions??
    02-22-09 12:54 PM
    Im able to access the web on the hotspot browser through wifi. Top right shows uma/wifi and browser is hotspot. But i wanna access the web through the t-mobile web2go data plan that i subscribed for 9.99. My default browser is still hotspot and im not able to connect to the net when im not on wifi. any solutions??
    If you're paying for the service and it isn't showing as an option, you may need to register your device to get it as an option in the drop down browser menu.
    Register Device: Click options> click advanced options> roll down and click host routing table> press your menu key> select register now> click back and close.

Then open your browser, press the menu key, select options-general options-select the T-Mobile option or internet browser if you have a data plan.
    Or you can set it here: options-advanced options-browser-default browser configuration-T-Mobile
    Last edited by exelant; 02-22-09 at 01:18 PM.
    02-22-09 01:11 PM
    I just registered the device. But im only seeing the hotspot browser option yet. Is it something that the carrier(t-mobile) has to set it up. If that is the case then i would have to call cust. service.??. Im a New User and still figuring out possibilites and options for my 8900...
    02-22-09 01:29 PM
    I'm thinking you do have to call them. You could try sending service books first. Service books tell your device the options your phone should have.

Send Service Books: Click your internet email icon (the envelope with a gear in front of it)> click service books> click send service books, or log onto your provider's website and send them from there.

02-22-09 01:58 PM
    Those with full data plans will have 3 options in the dropdown menu - hotspot, internet and T-Mobile. I am not familiar with the option you're paying for at 10 a month, but I'm assuming it would be the TMobile option along with the hotspot, but it also is the same price as the UMA option for free minutes on WiFi, so if that is actually what you are paying for, you might only have the hotspot option. I do know that you'll have all 3 if you pay for data which make the browser available no matter where you are..

One thing, reset or do a battery pull after registering and sending service books.
    Reset Curve: press alt>right shift>delete keys at the same time.
    Hard Reset: press the alt>right shift>delete keys again after the BlackBerry's screen lights up after the first reset.

Last edited by exelant; 02-22-09 at 02:07 PM.
    02-22-09 02:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD