Hi,

I just found the latest official release for 8220. Check this out!!!

Software for the BlackBerry� Pearl (TM) Flip 8220 Smartphone

BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.6.0.404 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.6.0.404
    Consisting of:

* Applications: 4.6.0.236
    * Software Platform: 4.1.0.90
    * File name: 8220M_PBr4.6.0_rel404_PL4.1.0.90_A4.6.0.236_Person al_Argentina.exe
    * File size: 88.76MB

Note: The Software Platform and Applications version numbers can be found under Options-About screen on the handheld.

Download Software
    https://www.blackberry.com/Downloads...8EFEFD0ECC3588

For install instruction to load any carrier 8220 OS on your BB:

1. Download desired OS to your PC
    2. Install/run OS to PC
    3. Delete vendor.xml file. It's located in c:\program files\common files\research in motion\apploader (only if your not with Personal Argentina)
    4. Connect BB to Desktop Manager and it should prompt the upgrade. If not click app loader and that should initialize it.
    5. Do not unplug BB during the process. It will take around 30-60 minutes to complete upgrade.

Good Luck and Have Fun Everyone.
    Last edited by tonyc52070; 02-13-09 at 03:26 PM. Reason: fixed link
    02-13-09 03:14 PM
    thread stuck!
    02-13-09 03:29 PM
    thanks! in a related thread it said that gmail and opera can work with a 5.99 tzone (wap) plan. true?

not like it matters cause i need the data plan for work emails and BB IM
    02-13-09 03:40 PM
    another update, insane haha. thanks for the link.
    02-13-09 05:26 PM
    Anyone that has this notice any differences yet from .222?
    02-13-09 05:51 PM
    installing now. hoping wls.live.com app will work, not to mention windows messenger. is it just me or does that thing not connect 99% of the time?

update: running ok. hard to say right away. I don't text or anything, so I've never had those crashes most people complain about. windows live still broken. windows messenger errors out completely ("service not confgiured for this handheld") gonna roll back to 2.1.37 from the included 2.1.41.
    Last edited by reebok; 02-13-09 at 07:06 PM.
    02-13-09 06:16 PM
    man i'm stuck on the last step, restoring device data, its been stuck for ages it seems.
    02-13-09 07:52 PM
    i got stuck downgrading to 180 toady.. during initilizing connection. think thats the one before that last step.. i hit cancel that got it going.. well got my phone back on track then did the last step..
    shrug
    02-13-09 07:55 PM
    yeah but this is on the last step and cancel is grayed out -_-

been almost 2 hours now. if i just unplugg it n redo it im afraid it wont restore properly, this is so sucky!
    02-13-09 08:51 PM
    You using desktop manager? I had nothing but problems with it. I now use loader.exe which is in the same folder as vendor.xml and its worked like a charm every time.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 09:20 PM
    phone now back up and running, thanks.

EDIT: the OS lags for me. slow to respond when selecting menus and options. when you click the menu key it takes a moment before it goes into the menu, same for selection options when inside apps. definitely slower OS then the one i had before.
    Last edited by conceptv; 02-13-09 at 10:22 PM.
    02-13-09 09:41 PM
    Can anyone report on the txt messaging app glitch that crashes txt app sometimes, is it fixed or what? Let me know and thanks!

02-14-09 01:05 AM
    think i'm gonna stick with .222 for a bit
    02-14-09 01:34 AM
    this upgraded bricked my BB. Had to use loader to wipe and reinstall .180 cuz DM wouldnt see my BB was attached to the computer
    02-14-09 09:30 PM
    step 3 confuses me, why do i need to delete and how do i know if i am with Personal Argentina or not?
    02-15-09 02:38 AM
    well if you're with rogers you're not with personal argentina. you delete it because the os was made for a different carrier than you have.
    02-15-09 10:12 AM
    It's really FASTER!

till'.... "white screen of death"...
    loaded, ran, bricked etc... 3x. back to 222.

add/edit: preetty sure it's not me; downgraded to 222. it's goin' strong again.
    Last edited by Divius1; 02-16-09 at 12:44 AM.
    02-15-09 06:10 PM
    step 3 confuses me, why do i need to delete and how do i know if i am with Personal Argentina or not?
    If you live in Argentina and "Personal Argentina" is your carrier, then that's how you know.
    02-15-09 08:22 PM
    Hello all...
    I'm brand new to the Blackberry family (about a week now)... and I upgraded my Flipberry to this firmware the day this thread was posted. I have not experienced any issues whatsoever... in fact, I had the .180 firmware then the .222 and this one seems to be the "fastest."

Granted, I've only had the phone for about a week, so this is by no means an extensive "review" of this firmware, but again, for the few days I've been using this, it's worked the best for me so far.

EDIT: Okay... so yea, I spoke too soon... yes it seemed to be faster, but I just experienced the white screen of death... have to downgrade... I think this firmware is worse than the .222 or earlier.
    02-16-09 01:05 PM
    Just out of curiosity, did those of you who got the "white screen of death" optimize the firmware by deleting unnecessary files? You can do it yourself if you know what you are looking for, or you can use a program like CrackMem.

I was hesitant to upgrade, but I finally got around to it. I'm pretty happy with the difference from .222. First of all, I used CrackMem and deleted pretty much every unnecessary file off the phone. The OS seems to be a little bit faster than .222 and all in all runs smoother. I get a lot less "thinking" icons when opening up my media player. Adding/deleitng apps seems to take quite a bit less time. All in all it seems to be pretty solid.

When I was installing, I looked through the firmware and noticed that the difference in the files from .222 to .236 was much larger than the difference in files from .180 to .222. Keep in mind, I installed the bare minimum, so I'm guessing the problem with the "white screen of death" is that your berry might be having a tough time adjusting to the changes its going through.
    02-16-09 09:03 PM
    ^ yup it runs great outta the gate..
    after a 5## S error I did a "wipe" and all was good for little while.

might give it another shot when a good DIY get posted.

add/update:
    got it working... don't really know how; did crackmem + optimizing + completely new apps./modules. somewhere along the way "restore" bricks the helloutta it. I've done several Batt. pulls + save/restore... runs fine now.

This is FAST!

add/edit: I really can't keep-up with how I keep this workin' anymore.
    Last edited by Divius1; 02-19-09 at 02:10 PM.
    02-16-09 11:59 PM
    Well, being a brand new blackberry user, I know nothing about installing an optimized firmware. The WSOD appeared after I decided to do a battery pull. After the clock did it's thing, the screen stayed white and said something like App Error 532 (something like that...don't remember the exact message) and had an option to reset. I click on reset, and the same thing over and over... so, I'm back on .222 and happy with it.

But I had to do a wipe and start over... but no big deal.
    02-17-09 10:15 AM
    Cliche time: I'm about to drop my Flip like a bad habit....... I don't suffer from any memory hounds yet a few of the keys still lag a couple of seconds before functioning (Menu, QW, ER, TY, UI and OP are a PITA). It was tolerable at first as I knew the phone had software quirks, but now it's just plain irritating.

I've had the exact same issue with each OS upgrade. Some worse than others, but still frustrating. I give up........
    02-18-09 02:39 PM
    use 222. dont use the new one..too many bugs
    02-18-09 08:32 PM
    I'm not having lag issues like you are talking about c. I love my flip and sometimes the a key or 2 lags but for no more than literally 1 second.

I'm still curious though and hope someone can finally answer me!

- is the txt glitch fixed in this os upgrade??? Where when you txt it sometimes requires a battery pull in order to get to messages?!? Someone please let me know! Thanks! -
    .222 did it but .180 does not so I'm sticking with .180 till someone let's me know that .236 fixed the txt app glitch! Thanks!

Last edited by misfitpierce; 02-18-09 at 11:02 PM.
    02-18-09 11:00 PM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD