Looking at this stuff makes me feel like a kid that has been let loose in a candy store.

This is clearly just for those who are interested, like myself, I will be attempting to learn a good deal of this myself as I'm also brushing up on other languages on the side.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliver...ng_started.pdf

Really great getting started PDF on how to program for the BlackBerry. They also introduce you to things like the BlackBerry SmartPhone Simulator which you can use to test BlackBerry Applications on your computer. They also run you through the creation of the popular HelloWorld program that is pretty much used to introduce people to every programming language.

http://na.blackberry.com/eng/deliver...e_Note_4.7.pdf

BlackBerry Java Development Environment Component Package Release Notes PDF

BlackBerry - Development Tools and Downloads

Development Tools and Downloads. Come here to download the BlackBerry Java Development Environment Beta v4.7

BlackBerry Java Development Environment - Manuals and Guides

A great deal of the necessary information you'll need to be able to program for the BlackBerry

Howstuffworks

Java ME and JavaFX Mobile Learning Trail - NetBeans Tutorials, Guides and Articles

Learning Trail for creating mobile applications

The Java™ Tutorials

The absolute best tutorial that I've seen online for learning Java.

Introduction to GUI Building - NetBeans IDE 6.0 Tutorial

Introduction to GUI Building

Designing a Swing GUI in NetBeans IDE - Tutorial

Designing a Swing GUI using Netbeans IDE

BlackBerry JDE 4.7.0 API Reference

You can use the BlackBerry� Java� Development Environment to create, test, and package BlackBerry Java Applications for BlackBerry smartphones. The BlackBerry Java Development Environment is a Mobile Information Device Profile (MIDP) and Connected Limited Device Configuration (CLDC) compliant J2ME environment designed to provide a complete set of APIs and tools for you to develop a BlackBerry Java Application that runs on BlackBerry smartphones. The BlackBerry Integrated Development Environment, included with the BlackBerry JDE, lets you create a BlackBerry Java Application using CLDC 1.1 APSI, MIDP 2.0 APIs, and BlackBerry API extensions that provide additional capabilities specific to BlackBerry smartphones.

I say we continue adding to this to help as many interested people out there as possible.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 02-13-09 at 07:31 AM.
    02-13-09 07:22 AM
    Good Stuff..Thanks for the links..
    02-13-09 08:00 AM
    to bad they don't make a wizzywig for making phone apps
    02-13-09 08:50 AM
    Rim does such a fantastic job with their documentation

Create an alphanumeric drop-down list

There are a number of things I never intended to include in my apps, but seeing how easily implemented they are, I figure why not take advantage of them?

UI components

A lot of classes ready and waiting to be taken advantage of.

Seeing this stuff makes me want to speed up my learning of Java even more. They also have listed there the ability to prevent the Storm from switching between Landscape and Portrait if you just want it to not switch positions like when you are using your Storm in bed.

Touch screen user input
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 02-13-09 at 11:13 AM.
    02-13-09 10:58 AM
    For those who know absolutely nothing about java, I purchased Head First Java last night after seeing it suggested on here. So far it's pretty good and really starts you with the basics. At this point I would recommend this book for someone trying to learn. I will keep you posted on my progress.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 12:11 PM
    You guys look so much like the palm guys in the mid 90s. I love it!
    02-13-09 12:25 PM
    I'm looking at Head First Java now. I ran out to a local bookstore to see if they had it and they did. What in the world is this?

I've never seen programming made to seem so simple. The book is downright criminal with how easy they make it all look. This book should be default required reading at every major college and university.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 02-13-09 at 12:29 PM.
    02-13-09 12:27 PM
    I agree so far it's an awesome book!

02-13-09 01:10 PM
    I'm just starting to learn to program and I would love to learn this.... I think this needs a sticky too
    02-13-09 01:55 PM
    I have been toying around with it and think I will go buy that book. It seems like a great resource.
    02-13-09 02:25 PM
    I will leave the programming stuff up to you guys! lol
    02-13-09 02:27 PM
    I have programmed in other langagues before but I've never touched java in my life.

I went to the bootstore a few weeks ago and was looking at java books. I ended up getting head first java and it helps so much. It's a book for people who don't like the tradition 10,000 words per page and no samples etc.

Also unlike most books this book this one actually explained everything and why things do what they do .
    02-13-09 02:50 PM
    Head First Java 2nd edition?
    02-13-09 02:58 PM
    You got it.

The stores will wonder what's with the sudden jump I'm head first java books lol

02-13-09 03:30 PM
    Thanks im going to start now!
    02-13-09 03:52 PM
    Head First Java 2nd edition?
    Yep 2nd edition
    02-13-09 03:56 PM
    sweet! nice pdfs

thank ya much
    02-13-09 04:19 PM
    fantastic post! I can't wait to get my learn on!
    02-13-09 04:34 PM
    Thanks for these links. I program weather models all day I wonder what the transition to java on the stormwould be

02-13-09 04:38 PM
    dmg, how did you go from head first java to writing your apps?

my issue is going from java (which i know a little) to writing BB apps.

the bb api's are kinda complicated.

so basicalyl i an wondering where you went after head first java which i assume doesnt touch on j2me, bb api's, or mobile programming at all.
    02-13-09 04:40 PM
    cray the best thing to do I assume is once you get a grasp on java ,and know how to create applications for it, simply dig into the BlackBerry development documentation that is available here and check out all the various examples that they show you on how to get the most out of the BlackBerry.

BlackBerry Java Development Environment - Manuals and Guides

Download the BlackBerry JDE Beta v4.7. You may also be required to download the necessary java development tools before you can actually install the BlackBerry version of it. I had to download something else from the official java site before I could actually install it. Plus I had to sign up on this page here and activate my account via my e-mail address before I could gain access to and download the BlackBerry JDE.

BlackBerry - Java Development Environment

They really do a great job of showing the programmer how to accomplish quite a number of different things. They also show you how to integrate your application with various functions of the Blackberry like SMS, Calendar, you name it. When I'm ready, I'm going to work on providing a way to instantly search and bring up every single agenda item within a specific month or between a time period of 6 months or even a year on the Calendar application. It'll cut down on some of the work the user has to do to see what they have scheduled or what reminders they've setup for themselves and don't want to bother with searching for each one month by month.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 02-13-09 at 09:05 PM.
    02-13-09 08:59 PM
    i will have to check this out too, i am actually using eclipse with the bb plugins. i used some of the samples, i was able to make an app that displays mem info, etc but cant understand the whole gui/screen thing yet.
    02-13-09 10:38 PM
    I have programmed in other langagues before but I've never touched java in my life.

I went to the bootstore a few weeks ago and was looking at java books. I ended up getting head first java and it helps so much. It's a book for people who don't like the tradition 10,000 words per page and no samples etc.

Also unlike most books this book this one actually explained everything and why things do what they do .
    Do you use an IDE or just a text editor?
    02-14-09 09:45 AM
    Well I assume that an IDE, if it doesn't limit the programmer in any way, should always be preferred over a simple text editor. Especially if the IDE is loaded with really cool features that aide in the development of applications.

I believe some IDEs fill in certain code for the programmer though. I can imagine how a lot of programmers wouldn't take very kindly to such a thing.
    02-15-09 02:04 AM
    Too bad the IDE doesn't offer design time UI creation like in Visual Studio where you can see the controls and their location while designing. Is it any different in Eclipse?
    02-15-09 11:36 PM
31 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD