Hey guys -

Regarding the new Asurion deductible changes:

A couple of my friends go through Unicel (which was recently purchased by Verizon) and are now seeking to jump ship to another carrier as well as grab a great new phone while they're at it. I've, of course, been advocating them all to pick up a snazzy new BB and I'm wondering something.

If I were to, say, "lose" my BlackBerry Curve 8330 that I purchased last May and file with Asurion for a replacement (for $50 - before they jack up the Tier 2 phone prices) would I be able to give that phone to a friend to activate if I, say, "found" my old Curve again for myself to use?

The question boils down to - could I give my phone away to someone who then activates it on Sprint's network while I keep and use the replacement phone? I know that it may be slightly unethical in some ways, but I just want to know if people do this and if so, what are the pros and cons...

Thanks!
    02-12-09 05:15 PM
    The easy answer is......no

claire
    02-12-09 05:21 PM
    lmao its very WRONG!!! They do have safeguards to catch fraudulent claims. Which normally has you paying full price for your phone.
    02-12-09 05:22 PM
    It wont work because if you find it, there gona ask you to send the new phone back, plus the old phone will show up as lost unless you use it on another carrier.
    02-12-09 05:26 PM
    Aah...

See folks? THIS is why I love crackberry.com. Simple, no frills answers to your questions.

Thanks for the quick reply, everyone. I'm glad I checked before making any dumb mistakes...
    02-12-09 05:36 PM
    Its people like you that would attempt to do things like this, that drive the prices up for us honest users.
    02-12-09 09:54 PM
    You didnt say which carrier your friends were jumping ship to go to. But, be that as it may, wouldn't they get the new customer red carpet discounted phone treatment anyway? I guess I don't see why it would be necessary for you to dupe Asurion.
    02-14-09 11:58 AM
    My son lost his phone - not a berry - and Asurion replaced it. I asked what my options are if we ever find it. The rep told me it was mine to sell or whatever. This was just a month or so ago. I don't advocate cheating, however. Just passing on what I was told.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 12:38 PM
    My son lost his phone - not a berry - and Asurion replaced it. I asked what my options are if we ever find it. The rep told me it was mine to sell or whatever. This was just a month or so ago. I don't advocate cheating, however. Just passing on what I was told.

That is not correct. When a phone is reported lost/stolen, it is deactivated and goes on what is called the lost/stolen list. Once on this list, it can never be reactivated unless it is reported found within the 1st 7 days of when the replacement phone is received. In that case the replacement phone would have to be returned to Asurion, the original phone would be taken off the list to be reactivated, and a refund for the deductable would be issued. If it is found AFTER the 1st 7 days, then it will remain deactivated and should be returned to Asurion because it is now the property of Asurion.
    02-14-09 05:55 PM

I cant ever recall a time Asurion said it was ok to sell a phone that was found after reported lost.
    02-14-09 06:28 PM
    Character is doing the right thing when no one is looking, and Integrity is a man's gift to himself!

02-14-09 06:41 PM
    I cant ever recall a time Asurion said it was ok to sell a phone that was found after reported lost.
    Yeah, that's definitely not okay. The person the phone was sold to couldn't activate the phone anyway so they'd essentially be paying for something they can't do anything with. The lost phone is Asurion's property once it is reported lost/stolen.
    02-14-09 07:09 PM
    Not to mention the fact that it is morally apprehensible it is also illegal. That is called fraud. If your buddys want a cheap phone tell them to hit craigslist or ebay.

02-14-09 09:09 PM
    Character is doing the right thing when no one is looking, and Integrity is a man's gift to himself!

Do I hear an AMEN? Very well said!

02-15-09 07:57 AM
    Just to clear my conscience and for the benefit of maintaining the integrity of the forums...

This was, more than anything, a fleeting thought that I posed to a community I knew to be experts on all things BB. I knew it would ruffle some people's feathers, but also bleed some information. Thanks to everyone who replied and no, I did not try this.

Have a great day!
    02-16-09 09:10 AM
    Brainfarts ARE allowed, even funny sometimes. Many of us get a little testy at the mere mention of unethical behavior, though. Glad we gave you a pause for the cause.

02-16-09 10:17 AM
    As a licensed insurance producer I must report you as part of my fiduciary responsibility.

Just kidding, but it is straight up fraud, a felony.
    02-16-09 07:21 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD