Good morning.

Just signed up for crackberry a few minutes ago and really looking at getting a bb curve. Currently a loyal treo 680 user and have been for years (same phone even though its had a rough life.. Left in the rain, dropped in a bucket of water, out of a car LOL, still running strong.)

The free wireless internet is what captured my eye and got me looking at them, but I've seen some conflicting posts..

Some people have told me. to get the free wireless internet, you have to have a blackberry plan through your carrier. Others have told me that's not the case and I could buy an unlocked blackberry, pop in my sim and have the free wireless..

Can't seem to find a clear answer on that one, which is my main concern atm..

If I can, in fact get the free wireless with an unlocked phone, I'll probably go down that route as my main phone usage is for music, text messaging, email, web, ect..

A few other things that are bugging me..

I've seen people complaining about volumes.. I work in a somewhat noisy environment (walk in cooler with 6 blowers) and I'd like to be able to hear any alerts I may have, be it text message, new email, ect). Is the volume really THAT bad?

I'm also not what you'd call a morning person, so a loud alarm would be nice.. Is there any 3rd party alarm tools that can override the standard volume, or will I have to sleep with my blackberry on my forehead?

One last thing that is concerning me is battery life.. My treo has had a rough life and the battery always stayed strong, went on a week long camping trip (watched a few movies on it in the process), and didn't have to charge the battery until I got home, some people are saying their curves battery needs a zap every day, where as some are saying every 3-4 days.

Sorry for the long first post, but I'm on an information quest before I go and drop the $250 on the phone and extra $50/month, and everything I've come across seems really subjective to each user, so it would be nice to get some reliable information.

Thanks for your time,
    Mike
    02-12-09 10:42 AM
    My Curve 8320 usually lasts me between 3-5 days on one charge with moderate usage. I absolutely love it!

As for your Wi-Fi question. I have NO DATA plan and NEVER have had a data plan. I connect to my campus Wi-Fi (or at home when I'm there) and surf the net. In fact, I'm posting this message right now on my Curve 8320 via Wi-Fi without data. However it may or may not be a determining factor, but there are some applications that require data. T-Mobile offers the most affordable data plan, though, if you decide it is necessary.

Although, there are many alternative applications that do work with Wi-Fi Only internet connections, so personally, no data had never bothered me.

I highly recommend this device and honesty, I am currently considering buying myself another one

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-12-09 11:15 AM
    That's good to know, I already have unlimited text through at&t, so I'm hoping if I do decide to get the data plan it wont be $50, it'll just be $30 and keep my unlimited text I already pay for..
    02-12-09 11:30 AM
    Another question popped into mind.. Does the blackberry have expandable storage?

My treo has a microSD card that I can put up to 32gigs of extra storage in..

Would be nice to know if I can get that on my bb I'm planning to get aswell.
    02-12-09 11:38 AM
    Yes, there is a port behind the battery to put a microSD card (not the most conveneint spot). I'm not exactly sure if it will support 32GB, it may, I just don't know for sure.
    02-12-09 11:53 AM
    Yes you can get expandable memory in it.
    02-12-09 11:57 AM
    I would like to add that if you're going with TMO then get the 8900 that just came out. I firmly believe that the curve is the best all_around phone on the market. You just can't go wrong with it.

02-12-09 12:10 PM
    The size of the micro SD card supported is based on what operating system your device is running.

On a separate issue, I use either a Bold or 8820 and like them both. My wife uses an AT&T 8320. I can assure you that they are all great devices.
    After using all three for some time now, I prefer the Bold. The main reason I like it is for the 3G coverage. However, if you are not in a strong 3G coverage area then I would not consider the Bold right now.
    The Bold combines the best of wifi, gps & 3G. I will admit though that I like the keyboard on the 8320 better.
    02-12-09 01:03 PM
    Well, after a major phone disaster today, I'm going to bump up my blackberry itch from consideration to action.

Thanks for all your responses, helped out quite a bit.

Today I lay to rest, my Palm Treo 680. It had a confrontation with a pool of dr. pepper and lost, horrifically.

Also, I'm not going T-Mobile.. They have ****ty coverage here and not many of my friends use it.. We're all on AT&T.
    02-12-09 05:59 PM
    If you go the AT&T route, take a good look at the Bold

02-12-09 07:19 PM
    i have a 8320 and its the best phone i Have EVER had. and i have had alot...take a good look at that phone..i HATE the bold's keyboard...
    02-12-09 07:35 PM
    As my first post states, I really enjoy the keyboard on my wife's 8320 but I still feel that the Bold is a better overall device with the wifi, gps, 3G & enhanced screen resolution.
    Not taking anything away from the Curve as its a damn good device.
    Just depends on what you are looking for & what kind of budget you have to work with.

02-12-09 07:40 PM
    I played with the curve and the bold at AT&T, I'm heading towards the 8320 because it fits my hands similar to my treo, which is nice.
    02-12-09 07:40 PM
    That's good to know, I already have unlimited text through at&t, so I'm hoping if I do decide to get the data plan it wont be $50, it'll just be $30 and keep my unlimited text I already pay for..
    I had the unlimited text on a family plan before switching to the 8320 and I only pay the extra $30 for data.
    BTW, I really like my new Curve. I had a Tilt before and the Curve just better all around. Smaller, lighter, and easier to use.

02-12-09 08:12 PM
    Good morning.

Just signed up for crackberry a few minutes ago and really looking at getting a bb curve. Currently a loyal treo 680 user and have been for years (same phone even though its had a rough life.. Left in the rain, dropped in a bucket of water, out of a car LOL, still running strong.)

The free wireless internet is what captured my eye and got me looking at them, but I've seen some conflicting posts..

Some people have told me. to get the free wireless internet, you have to have a blackberry plan through your carrier. Others have told me that's not the case and I could buy an unlocked blackberry, pop in my sim and have the free wireless..

Can't seem to find a clear answer on that one, which is my main concern atm..

If I can, in fact get the free wireless with an unlocked phone, I'll probably go down that route as my main phone usage is for music, text messaging, email, web, ect..

A few other things that are bugging me..

I've seen people complaining about volumes.. I work in a somewhat noisy environment (walk in cooler with 6 blowers) and I'd like to be able to hear any alerts I may have, be it text message, new email, ect). Is the volume really THAT bad?

I'm also not what you'd call a morning person, so a loud alarm would be nice.. Is there any 3rd party alarm tools that can override the standard volume, or will I have to sleep with my blackberry on my forehead?

One last thing that is concerning me is battery life.. My treo has had a rough life and the battery always stayed strong, went on a week long camping trip (watched a few movies on it in the process), and didn't have to charge the battery until I got home, some people are saying their curves battery needs a zap every day, where as some are saying every 3-4 days.

Sorry for the long first post, but I'm on an information quest before I go and drop the $250 on the phone and extra $50/month, and everything I've come across seems really subjective to each user, so it would be nice to get some reliable information.

Thanks for your time,
    Mike
    hi mike i currently have the 8320 by tmo but good news is i got it unlocked and if your interested let me know i posted it up on the forum and to answer ur ? about battery from what ive experienced ive had the battery last for 3-4 days on stand by and 2.5 talk time... the internet kills the battery if u surf itll last u like 1.5 hr at most. with wifi if u dont have a sim and your connected to a router then u can surf the web for free but not calls and calls are free on wifi if u have a plan with tmo if not it uses your airtime mins and charge std rates if u go over. i gotta conclude that its a good phone over all and its been out for a while so tmo had time to fix those kinks and bugs it had but if u get the 8900 you should wait till tmo get complaints to fix the kinks in the new fone and also prob get a deal if u wait
    Last edited by 3Speed; 02-12-09 at 08:18 PM.
    02-12-09 08:14 PM
    The Curve is a nice device; however, I would go with one of the newer BBs if possible.
    02-12-09 08:16 PM
    Appreciate the offer 3Speed, but I'm currently phone-less and, me being me, I absolutely NEED a phone, so tomorrow before I head to work I'm going to swing over to AT&T and buy one outright. I don't have time to wait for a new phone..
    02-12-09 08:19 PM
    The Curve is a nice device; however, I would go with one of the newer BBs if possible.
    To me, I don't go by features, the curve 8320 has all the functionality I require, and after reading these forums and taking personal polls from owners, its the one that would best suite me.
    02-12-09 08:21 PM
    Off I go!

Lets see if att wants to keep my business.
    02-13-09 09:35 AM
    Good Luck!

02-13-09 09:37 AM
    Didn't go too well..

The store didn't have the phone I wanted, and they seemed to not want to help me, even though I had $450 cash on me to buy the phone I wanted, at their ridiculous price.

So, I'm still curveless, and not liking it.
    02-13-09 06:19 PM
    Didn't go too well..

The store didn't have the phone I wanted, and they seemed to not want to help me, even though I had $450 cash on me to buy the phone I wanted, at their ridiculous price.

So, I'm still curveless, and not liking it.
    What model curve are you looking for?

02-13-09 06:22 PM
    Curve 8320 seems the best fit for me..

but, now I'm low on cash because it pissed me off and I went out and bought some other things I needed to make me feel better

:P
    02-13-09 06:24 PM
    Curve 8320 seems the best fit for me..

but, now I'm low on cash because it pissed me off and I went out and bought some other things I needed to make me feel better

:P
    Hookers and Blow always get the best of me too.
    02-13-09 06:55 PM
    Haha, as much as I wish that's what I spent it on, it went towards a new pair of work boots, a lumbar support strap, food, and cigarettes :P
    02-13-09 06:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD