Well... This is to follow from the

"downloading now" Thread

I have installed, just straight install over previous os which was .90 I stopped upgrading for a couple of releases as was very happy but this time thought why not

Fades are there (which i like)
    very snappy
    responsive
    going from side to side is very quick
    menus and navigation MUCHLY improved speed
    media player doesnt show a "mini scroll through" when you click into it.
    My pictures/videos/music are playing faster than ever after selecting them.

My camera (although it does suck lets face it) actually takes photos straight away now, and not 3-4 seconds later - the images are saving also (i had previous issues)

Just need to see what the battery does now
    02-11-09 01:34 PM

I feel exactly the same.

Really really good so fare
    02-11-09 01:54 PM
    The good:

Camera speed much better
    Smooth scrolling in main menu is back (was in .90 and not in .100)
    Full QWERTY keyboard in portrait is back (was in .90 and not in .100)
    Album art flips quickly without distortion (first OS i've noticed this - correct me if it did it in any prior leak)
    Flip from portrait to landscape is quicker than I can remember it from any build.
    Camera menu is back to transparent after going opaque .100
    Stability remains good

The bad:

Colour depth has been reduced, very noticble artifacting on the media home screen around the text and image. Also noticble on the keys and when items are highlighted blue.
    The control buttons (play stop, next track etc) are very very laggy in media player

Can't comment on battery performance or the memory leak issue at this point until further usage.
    Last edited by GlenJ; 02-11-09 at 03:56 PM.
    02-11-09 02:17 PM
    Now my Storm is a real phone!
    Dude THIS RELEASE IS AWESOME!
    the reduced color depth is no problem for me
    02-11-09 02:47 PM
    pretty good so far. it's snappy and great aclelerometer. however...(ahah! ) i notice that the 'memory cleaner' has a padlock beside it...meaning that i cannot disable it. it's the reason why my storm is a bit lagging when i tried to lock it (by pressing the top left lock button on the storm.

in previous OS...i used to disable the automatic memory cleaning and just do a cleaning thru quicklaunch. but with this OS...it is locked at automatic memory cleaning.

if you guys wanna check it yourself...go to options>security options>memory cleaning...and see whether you have the small padlock or not. i don't know whether it's only me that has the special icon

cheers
    02-11-09 03:39 PM
    I got what I thought was the dreaded vsod but it went and the phone loaded normally! This is the first time I have seen a splash screen. Maybe they fixed the vsod?

So far so good.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 03:49 PM
    Well... This is to follow from the

"downloading now" Thread

I have installed, just straight install over previous os which was .90 I stopped upgrading for a couple of releases as was very happy but this time thought why not

Fades are there (which i like)
    very snappy
    responsive
    going from side to side is very quick
    menus and navigation MUCHLY improved speed
    media player doesnt show a "mini scroll through" when you click into it.
    My pictures/videos/music are playing faster than ever after selecting them.

My camera (although it does suck lets face it) actually takes photos straight away now, and not 3-4 seconds later - the images are saving also (i had previous issues)

Just need to see what the battery does now
    Can you tell me where can i find this firmware to download....because i only find broken links....i really need to update my phone!! thx

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 04:04 PM
    1. low color depth on home screen looks terrible

2. Accelerometer just as laggy as .100 taking up to several seconds (an eternity) to switch at times.

3. Camera reboots phone frequently when trying to take a picture - nasty!

4. Yes, it has Qwerty keyboard in portrait mode but unless you are a tiny child with tiny fingers what use is it?

5. Reboot now much scarier as it pretends to VSOD while loading (shows Verizon/Vodafone screen for several seconds right when you're dreading it most), hasn't actually VSOD'ed though which is progress

basically seems much the same as .100 but a lot uglier with the color banding, NOT stable yet.

FWIW, I upgraded by doing the full JL_CMDR wipe etc.
    02-11-09 04:09 PM
    First of all thanks for the leak as this one feels like the one.

I noticed soemthing else. When you download an APPs through the browser you have the option to run it now as soon as it is downloaded - there is a run button at the end of the download.
    02-11-09 04:13 PM
    The link seems to be dead from my end. Anyone got another address/link?
    02-11-09 04:16 PM
    02-11-09 04:19 PM
    One major improvement in 106 (at least for some of us) is that RIM have finally fixed the bug which prevented third-party applications from invoking BlackBerry Maps.
    02-11-09 04:32 PM
    right.. the .106 is rrreeeaalllyyy fast. seriously, i find the storm flawless now. compared to .100, this OS is just miles better.
    02-11-09 04:46 PM
    the .106 is rrreeeaalllyyy fast. seriously
    Then again YMMV, I just took my Storm out of the holster, it was showing messages in landscape, holding it in portrait it took 11 seconds to switch orientation.. I see this sort of delay constantly.
    02-11-09 05:03 PM
    And while we're updating: you'd better also get build 50 of desktop manager 4.7 from RIMs website. Most likely it'll be improved. Most of us will have 4.7 build 32 or maybe even still use DM 4.6
    02-11-09 05:10 PM
    how can two people have the same phone, same software and then one person says 'its brilliant, fast flawless ' etc.. then the next slate it as looking horrible and slow?

beta or not beta?

i'm still on .78 and reliability is important, its a business phone for me... really wanna stick with the storm but its starting to become a liability.. sorry ranting...
    02-11-09 05:14 PM
    im downloading now.. will post the results tomorrow
    02-11-09 05:14 PM
    Full keyboard in portrait is back and looks even better - lets just see how it goes after a day of using it - so far so good
    02-11-09 05:23 PM
    The more feedback the better...I'm still rocking the stock .78 from on my 9500 and would love to "upgrade" to a faster OS build. However, even though the .78 isn't a great athlete, at least its stable and since I'm using my Storm as a business phone that aspect is VERY important.
    02-11-09 05:35 PM
    I never had any problems with stability until I installed the beta, .78 was solid for me, I haven't found the betas to be that much better than .78 in terms of performance, subjectively a bit faster at times but that's pretty moot if the phone is not stable.

The only thing I would say was much improved was the camera in .100 but now broken in .106

If this is the best RIM can manage after 3 months or so then it's not looking good is it?
    02-11-09 05:47 PM
    Well I've taken over fifty photos tonight with the camera on .106 and not had any lock ups, failures to save, hanging or any general stability issues. Bareese, you seem to be the only one I can see (admittedly i'm skim reading the forums tonight) who is having significant issues with this release. Is it worth a trying a wipe and reinstall just to see if it's not something that buggered on the previous install?
    02-11-09 05:52 PM
    how can two people have the same phone, same software and then one person says 'its brilliant, fast flawless ' etc.. then the next slate it as looking horrible and slow?

beta or not beta?

i'm still on .78 and reliability is important, its a business phone for me... really wanna stick with the storm but its starting to become a liability.. sorry ranting...
    This is the on-going problem with the Storm. Best guess is that the units are made in multiple plants using slightly different chip sets. That is just a guess but .90 for me was unusable while others said it rocked. .99 rocks for me while the folks that said .90 rocked are dead in the water...Mine is a day 1 unit made in Canada.
    02-11-09 05:58 PM
    Mine appears to be made in Hungary, the camera issue I'm seeing is when I click the camera button on the transparent toolbar at the bottom, I get the focus rectangle.. click it again to take the photo and sometimes get a white screen with a small black box containing the word "Reset" (and then it does just that).

I really don't see how the country of manufacture (assembly) could affect the behavior of the OS, surely they all use the same chips?

I might just wait for the next OS, I don't really need the camera at the moment.

I wouldn't do anything different - I backed up in DM and also backed up third party apps, I did a full uninstall of previous OS versions from the desktop, installed 106, rebooted, disconnected the Internet, wiped the Storm with jl_cmdr, installed the OS, restored and restored apps then did a battery pull.

I think the different reactions to the same OS versions are mainly pyschological.. some people just really "want to believe"
    02-11-09 06:13 PM
    anyone with a 9530 tested this yet???
    02-11-09 06:16 PM
    Just downloaded and installed the update. Only issue with the installation was that it had a problem restoring my app data but saved a backup file so that problem was solved quickly.

The only problem I have found so far is that the screen is far more dull, but thats really a tiny issue compared to the benefits so far.

Nothing seems to lag as badly, the menu screen now scrolls fairly smoothly. The screen rotates within a second. The camera is FAR quicker. The qwerty keyboard is available in portrait mode. Picture viewing seems alot quicker (haven't had a chance to check other media).

I was actually considering sending the storm back because I was having such a hard time with it, but following this update, i'm definately keeping hold of it.
    02-11-09 06:23 PM
157 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD