Hey, I ported over about a week and half ago to Verizon and kept my same number. I have not since been able to send or receive text messages with other companies such as ATT. I called tech support and got a trouble case opened up but they have yet to give me an answer or resolve the issue. Has this happened to anyone else and if so, was it resolve? Any ideas why this might happen? My calls and emails are working just fine.
    02-11-09 12:46 PM
    call CS 800 922 0204,

make sure the port is complete, they will help you OTA opt 1 the phone, should work if the port is complete.
    02-11-09 12:59 PM
    Porting numbers is possibly one of the most hosed up processes ever tossed out to the telco customer. The telephone exchange (the first three digits of your seven digit number) is assigned to a switch and the switch belongs to a telco. You port your number to a different carrier & that carrier, along with the new carrier must implement programming to route calls to & from your line, but the base number remains on its assigned switch. In your case, unless the regulations change, your number will always be held on an AT&T controlled switch even though the technology exists to actually move the number.

VZW places the order to port the number away from the current carrier. That carrier then has to "port" (forward) your number to VZW. Until that carrier completes the port, the only thing VZW can do is place followup requests.

The actual timeframe, while limited by a somewhat toothless law, depends on the original carrier.

Its screwed up, but have patience - your new carrier wants the process completed as badly as you do.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-11-09 06:27 PM
    Okay, I talked to Verizon for 45 minutes today. I first called tech support last Tuesday. They wanted a number as an example so I gave them my buddies number from Cell South. Cell South began working soon after but that is the only company. The guy called on Saturday to follow up and I explained how only Cell South worked and I wanted every company in the country to work, not just one number or one company. The guy said he would reopen the trouble ticket. Called back today and apparently he never reopened the ticket. The lady then said there records show that I recieved a text message from one of my buddies who has ATT today when I fact I sent him one which he received and then responded and I never got it. Did the same with a another buddy and the same result, I can't receive them. This to me says there is a mix up within Verizon if their records show I received or should have received the message but never did. This took a while to get the person to realize. They kept trying to blame it on ATT text not working right. If that were true, VZW records would not show I received the text at all. I was getting very frustrated at this point when she asked for a number that wasn't working so I gave her one. She then asked for more so I explained to her that since I can't get the messages, I don't know who is sending the ones I am not getting. Anyway, no solution yet after resetting and reprogramming everything. I got the ticket reopened and made sure that a note was put in there saying that I wanted my text to work with every carrier in the country and not just ATT or Cell South or just with the numbers provided. I feel like there is a simple solution if I could just get the right person on the phone, but all they seem to want is a phone number so they can fix just that number rather than the problem as a whole. Sorry about the rant but this is extremely frustrating to have to deal with not to mention it makes me look really bad when I see someone and they say I never text them back 3 days ago. I have now spent over two hours with tech support and have yet to get the whole solution. I feel like I just keep getting the run around.
    02-11-09 09:08 PM
    You didn't cancel your old service 1st did you?

When me and my wife left AT&T a few years ago they cancelled our service before we ported over to alltel and that caused us problems. We had to call AT&T and have them reactivate the line long enough to do the port.

I think my wife could make a call and recieve a text message, but not recieve a call or send a text message until it all got figured out
    02-12-09 10:14 AM
    You didn't cancel your old service 1st did you?
    I didn't cancel my old service. I just went up to Verizon and they said they would handle everything with my old company. Hopefully this issue will be resolved shortly or I won't be so nice next time I call. I am a nice, patient person but this run-around business is starting to get to me.
    02-12-09 11:05 AM
    Whether or not VZW shows you receiving the message is irrelevant. If the port is only partially complete, the messages will not carry the proper checks & balances & will not go through.

When a ticket is sent through for porting followup (FLUP), it is in an external database. The only record would be in notations.

02-12-09 12:22 PM
    Whether or not VZW shows you receiving the message is irrelevant. If the port is only partially complete, the messages will not carry the proper checks & balances & will not go through.

When a ticket is sent through for porting followup (FLUP), it is in an external database. The only record would be in notations.

The fact that VZW shows I received the message tells me(I am no expert and could be wrong here) that there is not a problem with ATT(if the problem was with ATT, it reasons that VZW would not have records showing a received message from ATT) which is what I was trying to explain to her since she said there must be a problem with ATT. The port was from Unicel so there may be a problem between VZW and Unicel over the port but its been well over a week since I notified them and they should have it taken care of by now or least give me a legit reason why it is not or some kind of info that tells me they are actually looking into it. Hopefully I will hear from them today or tomorrow concerning this issue and I can get this solved.
    02-12-09 12:55 PM
    refer back to post #3, att is screwing ya over. is your number that important?
    02-12-09 01:06 PM
    refer back to post #3, att is screwing ya over. is your number that important?
    But I didn't switch from ATT though. Perhaps it is Unicel who is screwing me, but if I can receive them from Cell South and Verizon but not other companies, seems that is not the problem. If that was the problem, I would not receive any messages correct?
    02-12-09 01:30 PM
    could be that verizon jus bought unicel and is integrating the network as we speak. the merger could be causing some switch problems, i'm sorry to here ur having a bad experience already. hope it works out!
    02-12-09 01:34 PM
    Just wondering, what is your free file memory? Is it low and the texts are being deleted before you get them?

02-12-09 01:39 PM
    Just wondering, what is your free file memory? Is it low and the texts are being deleted before you get them?

Running around 45 at start and leaking down to low 30s and upper 20s at times but not near full. I think it is just a mix up with the companies or something.
    02-12-09 01:50 PM
    Well I haven't heard anything since Wednesday and the phone still is not working. I will be calling tomorrow. Is there some kind of settings that need to be adjusted on the phone that could be causing the problem? I have a Storm.
    02-16-09 11:05 AM
    It appears they have finally fixed the phone. I end up calling them this past Wednesday and the lady said the ticket wasn't even open like it was suppose to be. She opened me up a new one with specific details to fix the problem from all numbers, not just one company. It started working Friday. Only took 2+ weeks and 4 hours of my time but at least the problem is solved. Thanks to the rep who finally was able to take care of it.
    02-22-09 02:33 PM
    Glad they got it fixed. If you are ever in situation and they say they have to do ticket, stay on the phone and make them do it. Should only take 5-8 mins depending on the situation and make sure they give you ticket number.

Unfortunatly some reps say they will do this and they get another and never follow up. makes the rest of us look bad.
    02-22-09 02:44 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD