I can't turn my storm (Verizon model) on and when I plug in the charger a solid red LED light appears at the top right corner of the device. Any tips on how to fix?
    02-11-09 05:34 AM
    Is the Battery is fully charged...make it charge for 2-3 hours and then see....
    02-11-09 07:01 AM
    My phone did that in the middle of the night while it was charging. It shut off and the red light stayed on but the phone itself would not come on or do anything. My phone was defective though because the battery was not holding a charge. If the battery is bad then even when the phone is on the charger it wont turn on until you have a battery that will hold a charge. then when we replaced the battery, the phone would die after like 3 hours of being on standby so they finally just replaced my phone. Yours could have been that the battery was just dead but if you are still having an issue i would def. go to verizon and have then replace the phone. Also i have the charging holster and it started happening with the second phone so i returned that.

I hope this helps out a little.
    Last edited by FireDragonTamer; 02-11-09 at 07:16 AM.
    02-11-09 07:11 AM
    My Storm had the same problem my first day after picking up my Storm. Called Tech, we did the 'battery pull', tried again, same problem, so tech authorized a replacement. I went to the Verizon store the next day, and they exchanged it for me. It was a defective Storm issue. No problems since.

So, best bet is to call Tech, and get the replacement.
    02-11-09 09:17 AM
    What type of charger are you using? I had a dead battery and tried to charge using the USB-computer cord and after 8 hours I was still seeing a red blinking light and phone was not turning on.

I got home from work and used the wall charger and within 15 minutes the phone was displaying the white screen with battery icon indicating that the phone was responsive and charging. I haven't had the problem since but I also don't let my battery get so low that the phone no longer turns on. That seems to lead to problems.
    02-11-09 09:56 AM
    What type of charger are you using? I had a dead battery and tried to charge using the USB-computer cord and after 8 hours I was still seeing a red blinking light and phone was not turning on.

I got home from work and used the wall charger and within 15 minutes the phone was displaying the white screen with battery icon indicating that the phone was responsive and charging. I haven't had the problem since but I also don't let my battery get so low that the phone no longer turns on. That seems to lead to problems.
    This is actually the same thing that happened to my storm. Easily the worst day iv had since i got the phone. You just see this red light flashing and the phone is unresponsive. AHHH!!
    02-11-09 10:01 AM
    Funny, I got it for the second time today also. The phone wouldn't turn on so I battery pulled, plugged in the charger again and it booted but was completely drained. If you turn the phone off and charge it, it tends to charge quicker.

This is what I am doing right now. It happened to me once on .90 and once now on .99.
    02-11-09 10:04 AM
    I can't turn my storm (Verizon model) on and when I plug in the charger a solid red LED light appears at the top right corner of the device. Any tips on how to fix?
    POSSIBLE REAL SOLUTION:

PROBLEM:

I was having a similar issue where my blackberry storm wasn't charging properly. At first it would show that it was charging but would eventually "charge itself to death" overnight. I would have to watch it to make sure that when the battery was fully charged, I disconnected the phone. Otherwise the battery would drain itself while plugged in. (on either wall charger, usb).

Then I started to have the problem where it would charge and then intermittently stop charging. If I pulled the cord and reinserted it, it would start again. It became so bad that the battery would not receive any charge at all.

I suspected it might be a virus on my blackberry, so on a borrowed battery, I wiped the phone and the SD card, but it was still not good. I then suspected that it might be a bad battery (even though it could hold a full charge) and replaced it to no avail.

I left the phone for a month but the old loaner I was using was giving me problems and I didn't want to have to buy a new one. So finally I decided to ignore all of the useless advice on the forums (some of it ridiculous) and analyze what the problem could be. I knew that the phone was getting power because the red light would come on (even if for just a few seconds). The pins looked ok and the battery connections were clean, but I knew this had to be a hardware issue and that the battery was good (because it was new and worked until my phone killed it) ...

I already knew that these phones had a problem where the screws were overtightened at the factory (causing the loose screen click problem), so I went to Youtube to learn how to take it apart and did so. What I was thinking was that perhaps the spring mechanism that keeps the battery leads pressed against the battery was faulty and not making contact with the phone's circuitry. I thought I might be able to pull it apart, but unfortunately this spring mechanism is sealed and not serviceable so I gave up and put it together but without replacing the two center screws on either side of the battery.

(SOLUTION)...

Miraculously this fixed the problem because the phone started to charge properly. What I think was happening was that the screws were tight enough that they were compressing on the spring mechanism and not letting the internal springs move freely. Alternately it might have been that dust collected in the mechanism and was preventing good contact and by having tapped the mechanism it dislodged the dust. Either way by taking the phone apart, tapping the spring mechanism and leaving the two center screws out you might be able to get the phone to charge again. It might not work on everyone's phone, but it did for mine.

NOTE: Charging the battery afterwards takes a bit of patience. Turn on your computer and run the latest version of Blackberry desktop before reconnecting the phone. When you plug the phone in it may show the red light briefly and shut off several times but eventually you will see a white screen with a lightning bolt. This will stay on until the battery has enough charge to boot. Then the phone will shut off and start to reboot. On your computer you should have gotten an error saying that the phone could not connect and giving you options. Choose to update. If you get an error saying that it cannot access JVM loader, wait for the phone to boot. It may reboot several times during the update procedure, but hopefully it will charge properly for you from now on.

NOTE: My Storm is unlocked, but after the update I can no longer manually choose GSM networks. I can still use At&t so I'm pretty sure it's still unlocked, but I can't choose towers anymore.
    10-11-10 02:27 PM
    My Blackberry 9000 has also been erratic when it comes to charging. It seems that if you let the unit completely discharge (it's battery management software should protect from this, but it doesn't) then you'll have a struggle getting the first couple of volts back into the battery. The symptoms are exactly as others have described here: solid red led, but non-responsive to any keystrokes, battery pulls or re-sets.

When I travel I like to charge via the USB from my laptop (a Mac), and sometimes I plug the BB in but it doesn't start charging and I fail to notice. I'm assuming that in this instance it's the laptop software screwing up, but in any event my BB will then be left on all night and be dead as a doornail in the morning.

In that state, the BB will not take even the beginning of a charge from the laptop via the USB. Nor will it take a charge from its original wall charger. It will, however take a charge from the car charger or from an aftermarket USB universal charger that I picked up. I'm assuming it's because these two units are outputting a slightly higher voltage and that forces some life into the battery. After a minimal charge from either of these sources, the BB will once again take a charge from the laptop via the USB.

As to "full" battery indicators, don't believe them. It's possible to damage your battery (through complete discharge in my case) and have it take a minimal charge, indicate "full" and then be completely discharged in 30 minutes. Again, I think there's a flaw in the power management software for the BB.
    12-12-10 02:54 PM
    On a rare occasion this happens to me. I pull the battery, Plug in the phone, and the red light shows. Then I put the battery back in. The white battery charging screen shows up and after a bit the phone turns back on.
    12-12-10 03:51 PM
    I have a slightly different problem. A couple of days ago, my phone 9530 started just going black with no warning. It would try to reboot but it just cycles through red light to "wait" sign over and over again. Finally after multiple battery pulls and putting it on a wall charger, it rebooted. Once I removed it from the charger it will shut down and go into the boot loop. I have reloaded 5.0.....328 OS and removed and restored 3rd party apps. (BBSAK user) without changing the death off the charger symptom. It will die with in a minute if off the charger but at least after the OS rebuild will work for all functions and apps. Changed battery and no change in symptom. I don't need a blackberry corded phone! Does any one a suggestion?
    03-30-11 06:21 PM
    Sounds like you did what I would have done with reloading the OS. Did you wipe the phone before you did that? Also, did you test the phone before you re-added all the third party apps? Another thing to try is to see if you can find another battery and try that to see if the battery is bad.
    03-31-11 09:58 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD