I've got a junker of an ipod, first gen nano...been dying for a new one. I got this 8900 but I haven't heard anyone talk about it in a media sense of a way as the iphone. I know RIM isn't trying to push for that type of device, but curious if anyone has replaced their Ipod for this bad boy.

Ive listened and it seems alright, not amazing but not bad. But curious what you all think.
    02-10-09 11:26 AM
    but curious if anyone has replaced their Ipod for this bad boy
    Sure, why do you want to carry an iPOD, a mobile phone, and a GPS unit, when you can have everything in one ... the 8900.

Now, the only downside of course, is that it will drain your battery, but if you charge it daily, then it shouldn't be an issue.
    02-10-09 11:32 AM
    I have. About two weeks ago, I went from using my iPod to the 8900 at the gym.

The deal sealer for me was when iTunes went DRM-free about a month ago. Yes, I had to pay a small fee to un-DRM my prior collection, but now anything I buy at iTunes can get onto my BlackBerry.

Combine that with Motorola S9 bluetooth stereo headphones, and it's even better than the iPod. Won't look back at all.
    02-10-09 11:32 AM
    no. my phone is my phone capable of doing other things. I keep my music and my phone separate. I have an 1st Gen 16gb iPod Touch that primarily use at the gym and sometimes just around the house. The mp3 features are limited on the BB. Different strokes...
    02-10-09 11:33 AM
    Hi Reggie,

I don't mean to be confrontational, just curious, when you say that

The mp3 features are limited on the BB
    what exactly do you mean?
    02-10-09 11:42 AM
    I definitely use my 8900 as an MP3 player as there is no need to carry around multiple devices. In fact I even connect my 8900 to my car stereo and play my MP3s through there as well. Its great to have my MP3 collection with me at all times no matter where I am.
    02-10-09 11:50 AM
    Hi Reggie,

I don't mean to be confrontational, just curious, when you say that

what exactly do you mean?
    the iPod gives me better sound. For me, my iPod will give me more options to customize how my music sounds. I can play with the EQ function I know a lot of people try to consolidate their gadgets but I'm different, I like my things separate so as to not to put excessive wear and tear on my gadgets considering these things are not cheap...well, for me, there not. For example, I never watched DVDs on my gaming consoles because somehow I figured it shortened the lifespan of them...lol.
    02-10-09 11:52 AM
    See I want to listen to mp3's in my car but I don't have the audio hookup, was going to get one of those radio transmitters at costco for 50 bucks.

Gonna give my phone a test before I drop 200 on a new 16 gig nano...
    02-10-09 12:03 PM
    I already use mine as my ipod.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-10-09 12:05 PM
    I have. About two weeks ago, I went from using my iPod to the 8900 at the gym.

The deal sealer for me was when iTunes went DRM-free about a month ago. Yes, I had to pay a small fee to un-DRM my prior collection, but now anything I buy at iTunes can get onto my BlackBerry.

Combine that with Motorola S9 bluetooth stereo headphones, and it's even better than the iPod. Won't look back at all.

Where and how did u get them to un DRM your music? Is there an option on Itunes?

02-10-09 12:18 PM
    I use mine as an IPOD..... I can not wait for the 32GB SDHC card to come out.

I still have my ipod and will use it on long trips to avoid running down my battery on my phone.
    02-10-09 12:23 PM
    Where and how did u get them to un DRM your music? Is there an option on Itunes?
    You must have missed the announcement recently!

Go to this link from your desktop or laptop with iTunes installed (won't work from the Berry).

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/M...iTunesPlusPage
    02-10-09 12:26 PM
    Absolutely. Far better to have all my music in my phone, and not carry around an extra gadget and charging stuff. Plus the BB has the advantage of built in speakers for the odd time that may be useful, and works in conjunction with the phone (ie calls will come through, which you can answer or not, while listening to music). Plus the Blackberry has the option of adding streaming radio (slacker or flycast).

I didn't really like those ipod radio transmitters for the car. They work, mostly, but are a hassle trying to find clear reception. Better to see if you can figure a way to get a wired audio in jack added to your car. I'm hoping my next car has that, or bluetooth.
    02-10-09 12:34 PM
    I have! I put all my music on my berry and just stick it in my pocket when I'm walking the dog or jogging
    02-10-09 12:36 PM
    See I want to listen to mp3's in my car but I don't have the audio hookup, was going to get one of those radio transmitters at costco for 50 bucks.

Gonna give my phone a test before I drop 200 on a new 16 gig nano...
    Those FM transmitters sound pretty crappy if you ask me. I don't use those things. I have an Alpine radio that has an extra input which I connect my phone to by using a headphone jack to RCA adapater cable. I the other input goes to my XM radio tuner. Sometimes you do not have the option of doing this kind of setup and you have to use an FM transmitter. If this is the case for you then I recommend that you do not buy a really cheap one because those can get the job done but they generally sound really bad.
    02-10-09 12:55 PM
    I took my car to a few sound places and its impossible for them to add AV jacks for my ipod.

I have a navi unit in my car (honda sold the car without it when I put deposit down so they gave me the same car with navi free) so I am SOL except for FM transmitter, unless someone knows a trick.
    02-10-09 01:13 PM
    ive been using my blackberry as an mp3 player since the 8320. it's perfect for that. the video capability of the 8900 just adds to an already rich multi-media experience. dump the ipod. the 8900 can do everything you need it to. including making your wife pregnant. so keep an eye on it.
    02-10-09 01:17 PM
    I've dropped using my iPod for my 8320 - only I've also dropped using my music collection all together since I now have Slacker Radio!
    02-10-09 01:24 PM
    I took my car to a few sound places and its impossible for them to add AV jacks for my ipod.

I have a navi unit in my car (honda sold the car without it when I put deposit down so they gave me the same car with navi free) so I am SOL except for FM transmitter, unless someone knows a trick.
    What kind of Honda is it? Accord?
    02-10-09 01:26 PM
    Nope, I still use my iPod for music. It has a long battery life and I don't want to always be running down the battery on my 8900. I use it enough as it is.

I have an older video iPod and it still works great! I'm not afraid to take it to the gym and have it fall or something.

The only musical thing I do with the 8900 is streaming flycast.

02-10-09 01:33 PM
    Yes, as soon as he replied back as to what car model and year he had I was going to Crutchfield for him and looked around a bit. Basically even if you don't have the CD changer option there are parts you can add to the radio gain RCA inputs, it just depends one the specific car radio, etc.
    02-10-09 03:14 PM
    2005 honda accord 2 door coupe

standard radio system with navi
    02-10-09 03:18 PM
    Try this :Find Car Audio/Video Gear that Fits Your Vehicle at Crutchfield!

You can also enter in your vehicle specifications and view additional information on Crutchfield as well as installation guides, etc. Those "sound places" you went to didn't know what they were talking about. Or were too lazy to check.
    02-10-09 03:24 PM
    of course they were lazy. it was free to check or pay 20 bucks for them to open up the trunk and actually try and for 20 bucks id rather try free forums
    02-10-09 03:37 PM
    I have put some of my music on my 16gb card. All of it wont fit but it is nice to have it available when your out somewhere and your not doing anything or want to hear a specific song. I think it will be my all in one. There is a bass boost that makes it sound a little better its no bose but it sounds good to me. I love the new interface, much better than the 8100. Technology usually becomes outdated before it wears out.
    Last edited by Cristyluv; 02-10-09 at 03:59 PM.
    02-10-09 03:51 PM
113 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD