hey there

been using my 8900 for a few weeks now and have frequent problems with the phone disconnecting randomly while i'm on a call. i suspect this has something to do with UMA. i'm new to blackberry and am not entirely sure what that even is, but i understand it has something to do with making calls over wi-fi. ive noticed that i usually get this problem at work and at home (when i'm on a wi-fi network). anyone else have this issue or any ideas on how i can tackle this?

thanks
    02-09-09 09:30 PM
    hey there

been using my 8900 for a few weeks now and have frequent problems with the phone disconnecting randomly while i'm on a call. i suspect this has something to do with UMA. i'm new to blackberry and am not entirely sure what that even is, but i understand it has something to do with making calls over wi-fi. ive noticed that i usually get this problem at work and at home (when i'm on a wi-fi network). anyone else have this issue or any ideas on how i can tackle this?

thanks
    Yeah, UMA instability is a known issue. It seems to be best in the OS version 4.6.1.114 (which ships with T-Mobile 8900's). I have installed all currently available OS releases as well as betas, and right now am running a hybrid of the .114 radio code (used for calling, includes UMA functionality) along with .152 beta for everything else. Seems to be OK for the time being, however the call quality is considerably lower than when using EDGE.
    02-09-09 09:46 PM
    hey what's that .152 beta all about?

do most people use uma, even with the problems? and is there a way to turn it off?

thanks for the help!
    02-10-09 12:27 AM
    I don't know if this is the actual fix for this problem but my friend told me to do this and I haven't had this problem eversince.

Go to manage connections>wifi options>highlight the active profile>menu>edit>check "allow inter-access point handover"

Again I'm not a pro at any kind with this kind of stuff and I don't even know what inter-access point handover means but checking that did the job for me.

I'm running the stock OS BTW
    02-10-09 01:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD