May have been discovered before, but I just noticed today that I cannot see my screen in landscape when I have on my Maui Jim sunglasses. I guess it is a thing with polarized sunglasses. Portrait is just fine. Wild.
    02-07-09 09:11 PM
    I've seen someone say that before, but I don't have that problem when i'm wearing my polarized Oakley's.
    02-07-09 09:33 PM
    With my polarized Oakleys, I can see landscape perfectly, but when looking at it in portrait the screen kind of shimmers and has some weird color to it, but it's still definitely readable.
    02-07-09 09:45 PM
    All lcds are polarized, so any sunglasses that are actually polarized should cause the screen to be completely black at one angle.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-07-09 10:09 PM
    May have been discovered before, but I just noticed today that I cannot see my screen in landscape when I have on my Maui Jim sunglasses. I guess it is a thing with polarized sunglasses. Portrait is just fine. Wild.
    I have polarized Ray Bans and the screen disappears in landscape with them on.
    02-07-09 10:10 PM
    I've tried to prove to my girlfriend
    That her sunglasses are NOT
    Polarized, but she insists they are because
    "they were very expensive and
    Said polarized on the tag" and "are a
    Famous brand name". If you can see
    Your screen clearly at all angles
    Your glasses aren't polarized.
    Doesn't matter what they were
    Advertised as.

Last edited by Midnight Barbecue; 02-08-09 at 12:12 AM.
    02-08-09 12:10 AM
    Yeah, I have polarized Oakleys and I have to take them off to see the screen well.
    02-08-09 12:20 AM
    at a 90 degree angle it should be black, upside down should be perfect as with right side up.
    02-08-09 12:20 AM
    That's all because most sunglasses polarize vertically to counteract the horizontal polarized light being reflected off water and such. LCD's function by polarizing light themselves, so at some angle the screen will be horizontal polarized thus the sunglasses nullify the polarized photons emitted by the screen causing it to be black. Happens with any LCD screen, but the effects can only be seen if the screen is at a certain angle of polarization opposite of the glasses polarization. If at no point does the screen black out or at least have some strong adverse viewing effect you got jipped buying you glasses.
    Last edited by Arreat; 02-08-09 at 12:44 AM.
    02-08-09 12:42 AM
    That's all because most sunglasses polarize vertically to counteract the horizontal polarized light being reflected off water and such. LCD's function by polarizing light themselves, so at some angle the screen will be horizontal polarized thus the sunglasses nullify the polarized photons emitted by the screen causing it to be black. Happens with any LCD screen, but the effects can only be seen if the screen is at a certain angle of polarization opposite of the glasses polarization. If at no point does the screen black out or at least have some strong adverse viewing effect you got jipped buying you glasses.
    I was just surpised to see that the first time. I'd swear the screen turned off.... it was that black... could not see anything... makes sense though.
    02-08-09 08:15 AM
    This issue has been fixed through a hardware revision. RIM is definitely using a different panel that works in both Portrait and Landscape mode with polarized lenses. I wonder what other hardware changes they have made to current production.
    08-14-09 01:34 PM
    08-14-09 02:37 PM
    I have the same issue in landscape when wearing my polarized arnettes. Portrait is fine.

08-14-09 03:08 PM
    Yea, but are they using 2 different LCD panels in current production or did they switch from one 2 the other?
    08-14-09 03:19 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD