Greetings all,

Been a lurker here. A long time Palm/Treo person. I currently have the 700p. I'm pretty sure my next phone will be a BB. My Verizon NewEvery2 is up in Mid April. So I get a $100 off. I'm looking at the BB Curve & the Storm. with the NewEvery2 the Storm would be $100 for me and the Curve $9.00. Any new BB known to be coming out soon. Not interested in that Flip one. I use text/email a lot. and need to be able to read/edit Word docs and see PDF's.

Share your thoughts...

Cheers,
    -Evan
    02-05-09 09:33 AM
    If you text/e-mail a lot, I wouldn't recommend the Storm. I love that device to death (my bf has it) but the typing speed does not compare to the Pearl I have. (Physical keyboard vs. touch screen keyboard.) I heard they are coming out with 9030 in the first half of the year, but I'm not sure if that will be before mid April. If not, I would recommend getting the curve...
    02-05-09 09:40 AM
    If you text/e-mail a lot, I wouldn't recommend the Storm. I love that device to death (my bf has it) but the typing speed does not compare to the Pearl I have. (Physical keyboard vs. touch screen keyboard.) I heard they are coming out with 9030 in the first half of the year, but I'm not sure if that will be before mid April. If not, I would recommend getting the curve...
    Thanks!

What's the 9030?
    02-05-09 09:43 AM
    The 9030 is the CDMA version of the Bold. Great device.
    02-05-09 10:00 AM
    i cannot wait for 9030
    02-05-09 10:02 AM
    I can't wait for the 9030 either. That is going to be a great addition for Verizon.
    02-05-09 10:03 AM
    besides ebay any good site to buy a used curve for VZW for me to use till something new comes out.

Thanks,
    e

02-05-09 10:08 AM
    Try craigslist for a used phone, I am waiting to see if there is a 9030 released this is the phone I am hoping for and wanting to wait for.
    02-05-09 10:10 AM
    I plan to take a long look at the 9030 too, and MAYBE do an annual upgrade, BUT I really do like my Storm.
    02-05-09 12:44 PM
    I have to disagree on your comparison. Having both devices myself, I can type fast on the Pearl (and have enjoyed it for a year) and noticeably faster on the Storm in Suretype mode since the keys are larger. Also the Storm has a benefit of being able to switch to landscape qwerty when needed. Any typing device takes a week or more to really start getting used to and adapting. I am sure I could type very well on the Curve also but not at first.

That being said, the Curve would be a good choice for some people...it is just that the 9030 or 8930 later this year would be newer technology.
    02-06-09 10:01 AM
    I'd get the Storm unless you really want to wait til the 9030 comes out.

My girlfriend has the Storm and I can still type just as fast on her keyboard with very little time having spent using the Storm.

So don't listen to people when they say the typing is so much slower on the Storm. Simply put they are not used to it enough to be able to type fast, or they stink at typing in general.
    02-06-09 10:11 AM
    Honestly i have a Curve 8330 on sprint but its the same device on verizon. I love the storm but IMO having the full QWERTY makes a huge difference. I can type a lot faster on my Curve than on my friends storm. Im sure with time you will get used to it and be able to type extremely well. I literally cant find or say one bad thing about my Curve as it is just an amazing phone. I would recommend going down to your local verizon store and physically feel and test drive each device. The 9030 is def something to wait for if you have the patience, it is one of the top 3 phones out right now IMO. I would highly recommend using Ebay to find yourself a used Curve, if you take your time you can find one in great condition for a great price. You can find NIB Curves for around $225 so if you want to save your upgrade thats a good place to start.
    02-06-09 10:16 AM
    Lets not forget the Pearl Flip. Pictures from a hardware beta tester have recently surfaced, and it's looking like that phone will be dropping soon. BUT you never know with VZW. They could surprize us and rush it out the door like they did the Storm, or they can keep pushing it back like they did the Curve.
    02-06-09 10:16 AM
    Skip the Curve and wait for the Bold (or 9030 CDMA, whatever they'll call it). After having the Curve for over a year I'm sick of it. Too slow. Everything about it is eggtimer. If you want one just to hold over til the Bold is on CDMA, then hit up craigslist for a used Curve. You'd be stupid to sign a new contract with Curve today when the next gen is around the corner. IMHO...
    02-06-09 01:18 PM
    Does anyone know when the 9030 coming out for Verizon? I personally love my curve. I went to the VZ store and played with a Storm for about an hour and could not get the sms and couldn't type as fast as I can on my Curve!! I would say if the 9030 is coming out sooner rather than later, then wait. But I say Curve if you want it now!!
    02-06-09 02:46 PM
    9030 is supposed to come out in may. add typical three month delay to that, and august sounds abt right.
    02-06-09 04:41 PM
    Right now I have an LG Chocolate. Since graduating(college) I have been considering upgrading to a smartphone. Having my e-mail and the internet with me at all time would be extremely helpful. I do a lot of writing, so the ability to access MS Word and edit documents then send them to people is also important to me. I'm leaning heavily towards getting a Blackberry Curve or the Blackberry Storm.

I went into the store yesterday and toyed with the Storm. I love the quality of the screen. The touch screen I can see taking some getting used to. It was not as responsive as I would have liked it to be when going through the menus, but it wasn't too bad. As far as typing on it, that was not bad at all. I was typing just as fast on it as I do with my current phone. I just turned the phone sideways and typed a few sentences without spelling errors. I expected it to be a nightmare. This does bring me to my big problem with the phone. It took about 4 or 5 seconds after turning the phone vertical or horizontal for the menu for the phone to re-orient itself. Now I've heard a software update has fixed this lag. Is that true?

I'm drawn to the Curve though because I do still like having a full keyboard and the menus strike me as being quicker to navigate(correct me if I'm wrong).

I am up for my newevery2 in June, but I can do an early trade on my Chocolate and get the Curve for $79.00 or the Storm for $199. I've got birthday money coming end of this month and this may be my present I buy with it. Part of me would like to wait until the Bold comes out on Verizon, but how much is it going to go for when it does? I am guessing it'll be a bit out of my price range.

I guess I am just looking for advice on when to buy and what to buy.

Oh, and as far as my professional needs go, I am an actor(don't roll your eyes). So in a sense I'm my own office. I am looking at law school though, so I may be heading that route. Either way, having my e-mail at my finger tips is my main reason for getting a BB. Everything else is icing on the cake. Thanks for reading my long first post here and I appreciate your advice.
    02-06-09 07:02 PM
    jason,

get a storm.

btw im a lawyer and law school was fine
    02-06-09 07:16 PM
    I also really love my curve and have not been impressed with the storm. The bold is faster, but the new curve will be just as fast and will have twice as much memory as the bold.
    02-07-09 12:37 PM
    9030 sometime closer to the end of the year. Don't be looking for it coming out soon.
    02-07-09 02:20 PM
    that would be cool...reason #1 why BB is better than Iphone; more options when it comes to device and carrier...awesome
    02-07-09 02:50 PM
    also don't forget about all the leaked OS's for the Storm! You can have that puppy running faster in about 30 minutes.

.99 4tw.
    02-07-09 02:54 PM
    I found a VZW salesman yesterday that appeared honest and knowledgible. I asked him about the timeframe for the VZW Bold, he replied that VZW was happy right now with their product offerings and that VZW would not come out ("never") with the Bold.

I was a product development engineer in the past, we'd NEVER inform sales staff about future offerings, because as soon as they heard, they'd start "selling" the new stuff; so customers wouldn't buy the current products. So. . . maybe this guy really didn't know, then again. . .
    02-07-09 04:47 PM
    I read the 9030 will be out in May for VZW. Try phonearena.com.

On a side note, anyone have news on when the 8930 Curve will be out for VZW? I heard July, but that was in a thread. Thats the one I want.
    02-07-09 06:47 PM
    Because your new every two is up in mid-April, I would wait on the Niagara (CDMA Bold.) It's going to have a great keyboard, which is one of your requirements. I own a 8330 Curve, I love it except the keyboard. If it had a better keyboard...

Also, you will need to get another viewer for PDF's. The built in viewer stinks. I use Documents to Go and have the pro version.

PDAdb.net - Comprehensive Database of PDA, PDA Phone, Smartphone, PNA & Handheld Computers Specifications shows the Niagara as a release of April. I think Crucial said it would be May, or more precisely, first half of 09. I would wait and see what is going to happen in May.
    02-07-09 07:10 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD