I always wanted to ask this. How many of you actually use 8130 as a music player also? I personally don't. It seems that most folks who own BB also have iPods. Like many of you, I thought about getting iPhone but my first impression was "bulky and heavy" and the reception of AT&T here is not the greatest. I have a few friends who own iPhone but interestingly, they all use it as a phone and text device mainly - for music, they have separate iPods. 8130 can do those better. I own iPod Touch and I must admit its wifi is amazing and the address book is easier to read.. But again, how many times do I go to places with wifi access every day? When I need wifi such as in hotel rooms while traveling, I can take both (and I might carry laptop) I don't have to listen to music in my _phone_.

I might sound old fashioned but to me, putting EVERYHING in one device is not always the best. Even camera in cell phone - I wonder who thought about it first. People use it because it is there - not there is a need all the time. What do you think (but I must admit camera in 8130 take pretty good photos)?
    01-18-08 02:15 PM
    I use the music player on my pearl quite often, sometimes when I'm in bed and just need some background noise and don't want to wear my earbuds. Also if I forget my Ipod, I use my pearl to listen to music in my car. I use a cassette adapter so the Pearl makes a good back up. Only thing that bugs me is the Pearl's music player opens at full volume, kinda dumb and annoying. Just have to be sure to turn it down before playing when you have it connected to an amp.
    Last edited by mkfrmn; 01-18-08 at 02:54 PM.
    01-18-08 02:52 PM
    I actually stopped using my ipod because I got the 8130. Granted my ipod is outdated but I use my pearl walking to and from class everyday I do agree that all in one is not great at all times but its definitely convenient.

P.s. If I owned an iphone I would not be using a separate ipod it seems to defeat the purpose

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-08 03:08 PM
    My Pearl is ALWAYS with me (even in bed ), my iPod is not... so yes I def make use of its music abilities.
    01-18-08 03:25 PM
    My Pearl is ALWAYS with me - I'll play songs on it randomly, sorta just to fill time.

But my iPod is always in my purse and sometimes plugged into my car.

But I really dislike iphones sooo no, just no haha
    01-18-08 03:31 PM
    Got rid of my iPod when I got my 8830, love the stereo blutooth!

01-18-08 03:38 PM
    Still use my iPod, listen to it constantly at work, and play it through my car stereo.
    01-18-08 04:08 PM
    I still use my ipod... but i don't have an SD card yet for my 8130. I'm not sure if i'd ever using my Pearl as a replacement for my ipod... i kinda like having most of my music collection with me on my ipod... unfortunately, the SD card just isn't big enough.
    01-18-08 07:06 PM
    Since my pearl is always with me, i practically use it as my music player too.
    I just hate having so many items in my pocket. Especially, when i'm in the sauna at the gym, i get to see who's calling and listen to jams while relaxing.
    SWEEEEEETTT!!!
    01-18-08 07:45 PM
    i use my pearl as my music player. tho i did notice that i dont get enough bass in my headphones when i listen to it. so i bought these headphones Smokin Buds [SC-BUDB] : Skullcandy it makes up for the bass and makes the sound quality better.
    01-18-08 08:04 PM
    I use the BB as my only music player... I received an old NANO as a present from a friend, and my BB 4GB holds 4x as much, plus I can search for a song, and browse the internet at the same time... also the battery lasts just about as long.

I use the Motorola S9 Bluetooth headphones, or the Creative in-ear Aurvana's, both of which work seamlessly..

I have never had a problem with the music player; If i had any complaint it would be lack of an equalizer or seamless playback. It's not much fun listening to an audio book (Harry Potter) and hear a loud *POP* and a stop in between tracks..

The organization is well thought out, it works very similar to an iPod, and I don't think RIM could have planned it better, excusing a few descrepancies...

like most of you fellows, I don't like having more than one device in my pocket! I don't see why I should have to have a separate DMP/Phone, when they are the same thing and the combination of the two at the cost of screen size and storage are no big deal...

Of course if you are travelling or whatever special case you have your own situations and I completely respect that! I can see the merit in both points of view and hope you can find something interesting in mine.

Anyone having trouble adding songs to their BB should just try syncing Windows Media Player to their phone... especially if you use WMP as your music organizer... It will make things easier than just dragging and dropping... which is mostly what I do..

I really hope this helps!
    Last edited by Wegmans; 01-18-08 at 08:34 PM. Reason: spelling!!!?
    01-18-08 08:32 PM
    anybody run with there 8130 ? Arm band etc for exercise. I would like to do this but having a hard time finding a case for exercise.
    01-18-08 08:55 PM
    Since my pearl is always with me, i practically use it as my music player too.
    I just hate having so many items in my pocket. Especially, when i'm in the sauna at the gym, i get to see who's calling and listen to jams while relaxing.
    SWEEEEEETTT!!!
    dude do you take your blackberry in the sauna..can it handel that..
    01-18-08 09:28 PM
    I was just wondering that....i am too scared to take mine in there.

I have been using my ipod and 8130 but actually today started putting music on 8130 and i think i will make it my main music device. Granted i only have a 2GB card but that will change soon.
    01-18-08 09:52 PM
    Hi all, noob here.

I also have an iPod Touch and I agree with the OP. I have had my Pearl for a few weeks now and I have yet to put music on it. I originally bought the Touch in hopes of partially replacing my Palm when it died (and upgrading my iPod at the same time). A few PDA apps on the Touch and sync to Outlook and I'm ready to go. I do use a few flash drive apps to fill in the blanks, and I am quite happy with this set up.

I have a tendency to use the Touch during the day at my desk because the screen is to die for. But I do not carry my iPod everywhere I go. In those cases, the Pearl fits the bill. So in a sense, I use both. But it's always nice to know I have the BlackBerry no matter where I go. The iPod is a luxury I use to supplement the Pearl.

Although I LOVE my BlackBerry, I don't think I am at the addicted stage yet. But that is probably because I have not been without it
    01-19-08 10:58 AM
    I am still adjusting to the fact that my pearl is more than a phone. I might use it as a backup for my 60 GB 5th gen iPod, but it would never replace it. Its for the same reason I haven't purchased the Touch yet. Not enough space. I like the storage of my current iPod and can't see going from 60 to 8 or even 16 GB. When the Touch goes to 32 or maybe 64 I'll buy one. Same goes for flash memory for the pearl. I've just gotten accustomed to the space and I'm not ready to give that up yet.

01-19-08 11:49 AM
    I haven't had any problems yet...I never gave thought about it messing up while i was in there!!...Well, I'll do some more testing in the sauna...haha
    01-19-08 11:56 AM
    I use my Pearl 8130 for everything, from Movies, Music, Pictures, Yahoo chat. I'm gonna use my Pearl until the buttons fall off. Then I'll get a new one and repeat =P

I no longer use an ipod although I was very happy with it. My Pearl covers all areas of my needs. I pretty happy with it. Considering getting a Curve as soon as Verizon gets em, If they get em, But that won't replace my Pearl. I just want one because I addicted to Blackberry.
    01-19-08 02:01 PM
    I laughed when i read this post as i'm honestly listening to stadium arcadium on my pearl right now. its great, the UI of the player is very similar to an ipod, the trackball is far superior to a wheel- touch sensitive or tactile- (i also have a sansa e280). As far as storage goes, i finally admitted to myself that while my library is 21gb, i really only listen to a small fraction of that on a regular basis. Having the 8gb sansa and going to the 4gb sd on my pearl wasnt very hard. when going through my artists i just asked myself "what will you really listen to once youre out n about?" makes a big difference. i dont need to carry my whole collection, guess thats just a personal preference. I also dont watch video on any of my devices, so i suppose im a different type of user and for me the pearl cuts it. As far as sound quality the v moda vibe duos are great, lots of bass and good noise isolation. I think the skipping i mentioned in my post yesterday was actually a memory issue believe it or not.
    oh and for anyone who likes itunes but wants to use their pearl, try switching to MediaMonkey! similar interface, even has an itunes skin available and can sync with any MTP or mass storage device. Granted you wont get to use the music store, but thats assuming you pay for your mp3's and we all know the reality of that issue ;-)
    Last edited by acanthus219; 01-19-08 at 02:31 PM.
    01-19-08 02:27 PM
    I'm loving my pearl but having an Ipod I think is a great add-on. To me nothing matches it yet. My 5g 30gig ipod does containt all the music that I want. However I would never go for an Iphone because to me having 2 device is more practical than having those two merge as 1. I'm pretty sure that the Bb batterry can't last that long after a day of listening to some music .

My ipod is connected to my car stereo and my BB needs to have power all the time!
    01-19-08 05:01 PM
    I've been using an iPod because I haven't purchased a media/memory card yet.
    01-19-08 11:01 PM
    I use the music player in my pearl occassionally when I'm bored or without my mp3 players (though I still have the same songs on my memory card that I used in my last phone, which had a much more limited player. The pearl's player is phenomenal and can do much more, which I have yet to utilize fully). However, it will never replace my mp3 players. I have a 30 gig ipod, an ipod touch, a 30 gig zen, and a 2 gig sansa clip, and will end up with more in the future without a doubt. I have well over 10,000 songs and growing, and the pearl simply can't support it. It's nice to have the feature on occassion, but I keep my mp3 players simply because I have such varied tastes and like knowing I can listen to what I want when I want. Plus, when I'm at my office, I have speakers so I listen to music, but if my phone rings I don't want to have to worry about unplugging the speakers to answer.
    01-20-08 12:56 AM
    i use my pearl as my music player. tho i did notice that i dont get enough bass in my headphones when i listen to it. so i bought these headphones Smokin Buds [SC-BUDB] : Skullcandy it makes up for the bass and makes the sound quality better.
    I noticed the lack of bass also, how do these earphones work with the pearl, any problem?
    01-20-08 10:58 AM
    no ipod/itunes for me. trying to switch everything over to pearl, including music, so it will probably replace my mp3 in the future. we'll see!
    01-20-08 12:16 PM
    I didn't think I would use the music player on my Curve, but I do. Now, the only time I use my iPod is when I'm in my car and I can directly connect it into my stereo.
    08-31-08 12:54 AM
44 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD