I'm trying to figure out IF or WHEN there is going be an OS for the Storm that is actually FUNCTIONAL. I'm not just ranting about this but more so because I am honestly just flat out sick and tired of checking this forum 5x a day hoping for a new OS because no matter what upgrade comes out it has some kind of issues.

The .90 OS had the best text typing but the .99 OS is the most stable, but the .90 OS would freeze all the time, but the .99 OS has 1/2 the SureType keys missing half the time, it's just ALWAYS something and I keep trying to hang in there with the Storm and tell myself it will get better it will get better it will get better. But now were going on months after the phone has been released, and STILL no OS that is just GOOD. I'm not asking for PERFECT but just GOOD. Any Verizon phone you pick up in the store seems like it functions normally except for the Storm.

I played today with every PDA at Verizon because I was killing time waiting for an issue with my account and I didn't use ONE phone where the unlock key sometimes took 3-4 seconds to register. Where the transitioning between screens (portrait/landscape) was severely delayed in some instances, and sometimes I would be holding the Storm in portrait mode, it would flip to landscape mode, and it just wouldn't come back!

I know were all Storm owners and all in the same boat, but how much longer can we honestly hold out for an OS that's worthwhile? I feel like every single time I go to show off my Storm to someone because they say oh is that the Storm!? It locks up in vertical/horizontal mode, or it won't unlock properly, or the keyboard is missing half the keys, or for some reason SureType randomly switches to Multitap, etc.

Sorry truly not trying to rant about this but I'm so tempted to go back to the Curve even though I know the Storm has 1,000 more functions just for the flat out RELIABILITY of it. What brought me to Research in Motion and KEPT me was how RELIABLE the phone was. Even if it wasn't as cool as the iPhone it did EVERYTHING I needed it to do and never annoyed the **** out of me the way the Storm does. All of my friends joke that I used to be an obsessive text messager (because I was with the Pearl / Curve) and now I'm lucky to reply. Because by the time I unlock the phone and go to reply if 1/2 the keys are missing I just simply lock the phone and put it away. Because it's too damn annoying to go to "Menu -> Enable Full Keyboard" then immediately going to "Menu -> Enable Reduced Keyboard" to get the proper SureType keyboard back.

I really really really want to stick it out with the Storm as this is my ORIGINAL Storm but I don't know how much longer I can take this crap obsessively checking this forum because I am waiting for an OS that actually WORKS.
    02-04-09 06:04 PM
    I think you're in the minority on your dislike of .99: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/po...-loser-150292/

.99 is very close to perfect for me and I don't understand why your experience is so different.
    02-04-09 06:10 PM
    Nope they're not going to Officially release another OS.
    Geez, how about giving them some time? If they released another and it wasn't perfect, you and other people like you would just have more to complain about. Have some patience. If you can't stand the wait, take the device back. But these threads about "If & When" are useless, as nobody knows, and those that do will not say.
    02-04-09 06:13 PM
    I think you're in the minority on your dislike of .99: http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/po...-loser-150292/

.99 is very close to perfect for me and I don't understand why your experience is so different.
    I know so maybe I should go ahead and do a full wipe and try reinstalling .99 OS? Because when I had it I wanted to throw my phone across the room! No exaggeration I downgraded to the .90 OS just to get back normal typing speed without the blue light being a few seconds behind. And to get rid of 1/2 the SureType keys missing all of the time, etc.
    02-04-09 06:14 PM
    Nope they're not going to Officially release another OS.
    Geez, how about giving them some time? If they released another and it wasn't perfect, you and other people like you would just have more to complain about. Have some patience. If you can't stand the wait, take the device back. But these threads about "If & When" are useless, as nobody knows, and those that do will not say.
    Okay but you're missing the point I am all for being patient with the phone as updates come out, etc. But what I'm NOT okay with is the basic phone function ability being impaired. Text messaging is absolutely horrific anymore why would ANY Verizon phone PDA or not ever have 1/2 of the keys on a keyboard missing? Why would ANY Verizon phone randomly send text messages in the middle of you typing the message? Why did I call my voicemail 5 times today, and listen to the same message 5 times, press "7" to delete the message, and it just flat out not work. Battery pull solved the issue, but the point is - the BASIC phone functions that black and white Nokia phones seem to have down, the Storm is lacking. I wouldn't mind if all of the advanced features like Visual Voicemail or streaming YouTube videos had issues, but when the BASIC phone functions are lacking, and this is according to Verizon the best phone they offer right now, something has to give.
    02-04-09 06:18 PM
    I see in your first post you mention .90 & .99. Well, technically, you can't complain about anything other than .75 because it's the latest official release. Betas do not count. To the best of my knowledge, everything functions properly in .75. Maybe not as good as it should, but it works. Anything other than .75 is illegal and unreleased software, thus you can't complain about it.
    I understand it's frustrating, but give them time. They will get it right. But you must understand the next official release must be pretty close to perfect.
    02-04-09 06:21 PM
    If you havent had it for more than 30 days, just return it. I contemplated on doing so, but gambled with getting a decent future OS
    02-04-09 06:24 PM
    I see in your first post you mention .90 & .99. Well, technically, you can't complain about anything other than .75 because it's the latest official release. Betas do not count. To the best of my knowledge, everything functions properly in .75. Maybe not as good as it should, but it works. Anything other than .75 is illegal and unreleased software, thus you can't complain about it.
    I understand it's frustrating, but give them time. They will get it right. But you must understand the next official release must be pretty close to perfect.
    I think that's the point he is trying to make, a lot of Storm users are growing very impatient because it seems like it's taking a very long time to get what we should have back in November. People shouldn't have the feeling that the have to check a forum or a carrier website to see if an OS has been released to make their phone work properly because it should work from day one.
    02-04-09 06:29 PM
    I know so maybe I should go ahead and do a full wipe and try reinstalling .99 OS? Because when I had it I wanted to throw my phone across the room! No exaggeration I downgraded to the .90 OS just to get back normal typing speed without the blue light being a few seconds behind. And to get rid of 1/2 the SureType keys missing all of the time, etc.
    When I downloaded .99 the first time, I did it over .90 without wiping and it did not run that great. I had bugs, weird keyboard, freezes, random reboots, etc. So, I did the JL wipe, and reinstalled .99. It is actually pretty good now. I sometimes have a delay in lock/unlock, but other than that, it has been running much smoother. You may want to try that.
    02-04-09 06:31 PM
    I think that's the point he is trying to make, a lot of Storm users are growing very impatient because it seems like it's taking a very long time to get what we should have back in November. People shouldn't have the feeling that the have to check a forum or a carrier website to see if an OS has been released to make their phone work properly because it should work from day one.
    Regardless of what it "seems" like, it hasn't been a long time. New OS's don't come out every month or two. That's just not the way it works. It's been much longer since the Bold had an update. And it took forever for them to get one after release. It's only been about two months. That's not a long time. And if they rushed it and it wasn't right, where would they be then??? OMG, I'd hate to see all the complaining then. It would be ten times worse than it is now. And it's pretty bad now.
    02-04-09 06:39 PM
    I just spent 4 hours grilling a Verison and RIM employee under the harshest of circumstances. Below is the fruit of more than 20 hours of vigorous questioning and torture. It, I think, is the answer you are seeking.

No.
    Last edited by Garz; 02-04-09 at 07:20 PM.
    02-04-09 06:53 PM
    i hope its later rather than sooner because theyre working pretty diligently on it and id rather it be as close to perfect as possible when it does come out

then again im waiting to buy a storm until the official OS release and am not stuck with one now like you people who keep complaining complaining complaining
    02-04-09 07:01 PM
    Regardless of what it "seems" like, it hasn't been a long time. New OS's don't come out every month or two. That's just not the way it works. It's been much longer since the Bold had an update. And it took forever for them to get one after release. It's only been about two months. That's not a long time. And if they rushed it and it wasn't right, where would they be then??? OMG, I'd hate to see all the complaining then. It would be ten times worse than it is now. And it's pretty bad now.
    The Bold had a better launch, with a more stable operating system. Except of course for AT&T and I blame the carrier for that mess.
    Last edited by Valace2; 02-04-09 at 07:07 PM.
    02-04-09 07:03 PM
    Its amazing how spoiled people have become. You are given access to an OS that you should not have seen at all. You complain because things dont work to YOUR standards. Then you complain because it takes too long to release a new OS. It takes time to fix issues, it takes time to rebuild an OS.
    02-04-09 07:05 PM
    The Bold had a better launch, with a more stable operating system.
    No, no it did not. Also, the Bold was delayed 3 months, whereas the Storm only a month. You don't use a Bold so you have no clue. the launches were the same. The Bold had a ton of problems too. Still does have some.
    02-04-09 07:05 PM
    CX is right, it has to be perfect for them to release it, otherwise what is the point? Just sticking the title "official on it does nothing for the OS if it is not flawless. Another botched OS that they push will put one more nail in the coffin. I don't care about a million sales initially the bad press has hurt the Storms sales. Don't worry the App store is comming in March. I am sure that the Storm will be singing by then.
    02-04-09 07:06 PM
    Go back through the forums Valace2 and you will find how many issues the bold had. Not being able to hold a 3G connection not the least of all.
    02-04-09 07:07 PM
    Go back through the forums Valace2 and you will find how many issues the bold had. Not being able to hold a 3G connection not the least of all.
    ok, since you an CX are correcting me, the three months you guys speak of, was that initially or the holdup AT&T had?
    02-04-09 07:09 PM
    And the Bold did not get an official update soon after launch like the Storm did. Not even close!!

Edit: it was delayed on all carriers some. AT&T, 3 months and still had issues at launch even after the big delay.
    02-04-09 07:10 PM
    No, no it did not. Also, the Bold was delayed 3 months, whereas the Storm only a month. You don't use a Bold so you have no clue. the launches were the same. The Bold had a ton of problems too. Still does have some.
    I have both (my wife appropriated my Bold so I got the Storm). Actually, I think the Bold was delayed more than 3 months. But anyway, the Bold still has problems, particularly in the UK (Orange) I believe. When your devices are cutting (bleeding) edge you have to expect issues.
    02-04-09 07:10 PM
    What CX is saying, is that .75 worked. It wasn't the best, but it functioned as it should. Anyone having issues with any other OS can't complain, because .. well .. we technically shouldn't have it. The iPhone doesn't come out with firmware updates every three months, and when they do .. it's also to fix bugs, and introduce others. I've had an iPhone since day one .. and have been beta testing/"hacking" it since then. The phone isn't perfect in stock form either. It locks up, and sometimes you have to hard reset (about as hard as you can with it).

I'm just as eager as you are MJH for an official. Believe you me, I want the Storm to be what I know it can and should be. As much as I want to complain about all of the leaked versions not living up to my expectations .. I can't complain either. The reason that they are BETAS, is that they didn't live up to the carriers expectations either. The carrier wants us (except during launch) to get the best OS that we can.
    02-04-09 07:11 PM
    And the Bold did not get an official update soon after launch like the Storm did. Not even close!!

Edit: it was delayed on all carriers some. AT&T, 3 months and still had issues at launch even after the big delay.
    I think that you guys have just given me a project. I will go back through the forums and read what people have said. I am curious now. Everything I have read, reviews and such, for the Bold have always been positive. Kevin's initial reviews for the Bold spoke very highly of it maybe he was just on that "I got a new toy" high we get I dunno. So hopefully I can do a little compare and contrast. Not saying this to be a smart*ss, just wanna see for myself.
    Last edited by Valace2; 02-04-09 at 07:17 PM.
    02-04-09 07:14 PM
    So far I am sticking with .75 everything seems to work decently. But I just got my second random reboot for no reason, so we'll see what happens.
    02-04-09 07:14 PM
    I think the repeated leaks are part of the problem. There are those of us that like the leaks, find them fun to test out, but understand that .75 is probably more stable if that's what we are looking for. But there is a whole other group that thinks that lots of leaks means that someone -- RIM or Verizon, depending on your thread of choice -- is doing something wrong by not releasing another official version immediately. And then there are all the flames -- worst of any forum I have ever been on.

Anyway, I hope that the leaks don't stop, I hope that VZ signs off an a stable updated OS in the reasonable future, and I hope that the Storm forums become a friendlier place. (And I am sure someone will flame me for kissing CX's a**, which I am not, and for some other perceived wild transgression).
    02-04-09 07:15 PM
    I think that you guys have just given me a project. I will go back through the forums and read what people have said. I am curious now. Everything I have read, reviews and such, for the Bold have always been positive. Kevin's initial reviews for the Bold were spoke very highly of it. So hopefully I can do a little compare and contrast. Not saying this to be a smart*ss, just wanna see for myself.
    Well as I and Sith said, not holding a 3G connection is one. Atleast the Storm works on 3G with no problem. Javascript. Theres plenty. The point is you act like the Storm is the only device to ever have problems at launch. Or nothing compares. The Storm functions like it should. It may not do so as good as it should but it does function. Whereas other devices did not, and didn't get official updates as quick as the Storm.
    02-04-09 07:17 PM
171 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD