HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Storm and Curve GPS Fix

ive posted this also in the storm section

that link is more active and more info on the curve/pearl fix

this fix WONT make google maps work on the storm.
    02-04-09 03:55 PM
    Is this fool-proof? Can something else break because I messed up?

Also, isn't this something that telus could fix by pushing the new settings out to those who call in reporting the issue? You'd think that a BIS has a similar setup as a BES in terms of device config control.
    02-04-09 04:02 PM
    this is a firmware update not a software update
    02-04-09 06:06 PM
    HOOOOOLY crap

It worked.

Now I feel like walking around just to see it in action.

Goddamn you, Telus! *shakes fist*
    02-05-09 09:10 AM
    Where can this software be downloaded from?

Anybody in T.O want to help a brother out with the fix? I've never played around with any of this stuff.
    02-05-09 11:29 AM
    Where can this software be downloaded from?

Anybody in T.O want to help a brother out with the fix? I've never played around with any of this stuff.
    Here's what I sent to a Curve user friend of mine that has the GPS issue.

It's all the stuff that worked for me.

Instructions: HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Storm and Curve GPS Fix

Downloads:
    QTSP: http://htr.hxc-host.com/hacktherazr....T_2.7_b215.exe
    uniCDMA: MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service
    Hex Workshop: Download Hex Workshop v6.0.1.4603

PERSONAL NOTES/OBSERVATIONS:
    don't waste time looking for the MSL manually. in Hex Workshop, go to "Tools>Find Strings" and make sure it says 6 characters. The results will show up at the bottom right window in a list you can scroll through.

When QPST asks you for the phone model: Surf6300-BB (This might be different if you have something other than the Curve!!) Search the instructions thread if that model doesn't work for you.

The instructions forget to tell you to "write to phone" once you're done entering the settings. This will make your phone reboot.

When you write to phone in QPST, it might tell you that the COM port got disconnected. It's fine. I got that too. when the phone is done restarting, just connect back in QPST to check that all the settings took.
    02-05-09 11:35 AM
    Thanks for the info pokrmessiah. I was hoping someone here or on Howardforums would fix this awful GPS issue.

I will be trying this as soon as I get home today. Good to know that it worked for you.
    02-05-09 01:44 PM
    Hello All,
    Just follow the instructions available. It worked for me. It now allows me to find a gps setting in less than 5 seconds. I had a feeling Telus had something to do with it.
    02-05-09 02:44 PM

Instructions: HowardForums: Your Mobile Phone Community & Resource - Storm and Curve GPS Fix

Downloads:

don't waste time looking for the MSL manually. in Hex Workshop, go to "Tools>Find Strings" and make sure it says 6 characters. The results will show up at the bottom right window in a list you can scroll through.

When QPST asks you for the phone model: Surf6300-BB (This might be different if you have something other than the Curve!!) Search the instructions thread if that model doesn't work for you.

The instructions forget to tell you to "write to phone" once you're done entering the settings. This will make your phone reboot.

When you write to phone in QPST, it might tell you that the COM port got disconnected. It's fine. I got that too. when the phone is done restarting, just connect back in QPST to check that all the settings took.

yeah HouseApe made a nice PDF tutorial
    02-05-09 03:23 PM
    Worked great! Thanks everyone!

Google Maps gets location < 5 seconds, BB Maps too. GPSed was taking a while but i didn't bother since i was only using that to help gmaps get a better location before this fix came along.

No more crippled Curve. I'm so happy~!
    02-06-09 12:28 AM
    yeah HouseApe made a nice PDF tutorial
    I like the tutorial, but I just wanted to get the most stable download links in there.

Plus I liked Hex Workshop better
    02-06-09 10:32 AM
    so i cant get universal CDMA to work....i switch it to com4 and hit read all but on the lower left hand corner it says my phone isnt connected
    can anybody help??
    02-10-09 11:50 PM
    use a com5

make sure DM is open
    02-11-09 12:05 PM
    Just wanted to let everyone know that I just did this on my curve 8330 on telus and its working great.
    02-11-09 10:06 PM

Downloads:

I need your help guys,

I am up to step number 7
    7. Click on Add New Port, and add COM# - surf*** (########)
    and I cannot get past this. Can someone explain the com#-surf*** (#######) what am i supposed to input here

Thanks guys,
    02-12-09 12:40 AM
    I don't get it, I have a storm but what does this actually do? GPS works in every program for me what does this actually fix?
    02-12-09 10:16 AM
    Did this to my curve. Gps works great now! Before I couldn't get any signal.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-13-09 05:16 PM
    I've got an 8330. Why are there programs you have to use to fix the gps issue(which I also have). Why isn't it fixed with the latest operating system?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-14-09 01:44 AM
    its not the OS's problem..its a telus issue.
    02-14-09 02:27 PM
    MEGAUPLOAD - The leading online storage and file delivery service

houseape's up to date tutorial

this could help people who are stuck
    02-14-09 02:31 PM
    Ah! I did this operation and my GPS works the way it should have from the start! I can lock somewhere around 16 satellites outside in under 5 seconds, and 8 satellite in about 15 seconds while in my basement! It's crazy how well it works now! Why don't they just do this from the start!
    02-15-09 01:10 PM
    I need your help guys,

I am up to step number 7
    7. Click on Add New Port, and add COM# - surf*** (########)
    and I cannot get past this. Can someone explain the com#-surf*** (#######) what am i supposed to input here

Thanks guys,
    i am really having trouble at this step as well. Any help would be great

thx
    02-15-09 04:59 PM
    Comm Port #: 4
    SURF6630-BB (For the Curve)
    02-15-09 05:13 PM
    Comm Port #: 4
    SURF6630-BB (For the Curve)
    still no go, if it helps im using the curve and from step one my phone was discovered on com 1 from the setup.
    perhaps a copy of your screen from the add new port menu would be great. Also i read somewhere else that it was 6300-BB for the curve?
    02-15-09 05:31 PM
    Make sure you have the Desktop Manager opened, and connected in the background while your doing all of this..

Adding a new port:

Close down the new port manager, and in QPST click the new icon, and you should now see this screen:

Select your phone and click OK... You should then see this screen:

Select SURF6300-BB and press OK.
    02-15-09 05:48 PM
168 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD