When you launch Desktop Manager and get the error message "No additional applications designed for your device were found," it means you do not have the device-specific application package installed on your PC.

In order for your Windows PC and BlackBerry to communicate properly, you must have 2 things installed on your PC: Desktop Manager, and the device-specific driver/application package for your handheld model, downloadable from the links provided here.

The device-specific package contains all the operating system (OS) files for your handheld, as well as the basic modules and applications, such as BrickBreaker, Password Keeper, and MemoPad.

Once installed, you will be able to install downloaded applications, remove unwanted components, and reinstall your operating system. To change to a different version of your OS, simply download the desired version, uninstall the old one from Add/Remove Programs, install the new package, and run Application Loader.

***NOTE*** It may be necessary to delete C:\Program Files\Common Files\Research In Motion\AppLoader\vendor.xml in order to get Desktop Manager to recognize a new OS package.

Newer versions of DM, if installed with "Check for updates" or BlackBerry Automatic Updates enabled, install a second, virtual vendor.xml, preventing DM from seeing the new OS. This feature must be uninstalled or disabled prior to deleting vendor.xml to trigger the update. Thanks to John Clark for this update!

I'd like to make this a sticky, and if I've left anything out, please correct me. This question comes up a lot, but I couldn't find a thread dedicated to it.

***Thanks for the responses, folks! Glad I could contribute. For some reason, I get an administrative error when I try to reply to this thread, but it let me edit my OP. *boggle*
    Last edited by rrrebo; 12-17-08 at 01:18 PM.
    01-18-08 10:14 AM
    I've got that message coming when I navigate to an .alx file I've created using NetBeans. The .alx and .cod are in the same dirs, the device software and device manager are both up to date and correct for my hardware but as soon as I click on the .alx to Add it, that message pops up.

Funny thing is when I deploy the same .cod to the simulator, it works fine.
    02-18-08 03:45 PM
    Rebo-

I know I have the desktop installed correctly, but when I surf to that link about the driver software...and click on verizon...it only shows the desktop software again?!?!? My hope is that because I had to pick my device...it will be different.

I'll give it a shot and let you know!!
    Last edited by cervoni; 02-23-08 at 10:14 AM.
    02-23-08 09:15 AM
    great idea, rrrebo. i was having the same issue and gadget helped me out. since then i've seen this still coming up in new threads, so i'll start pointing people to this one.
    02-23-08 10:37 AM
    Rebo-

I know I have the desktop installed correctly, but when I surf to that link about the driver software...and click on verizon...it only shows the desktop software again?!?!? My hope is that because I had to pick my device...it will be different.

I'll give it a shot and let you know!!
    go here to verizon's bb software site and download:

bb desktop software v4.3 (updated 11/20/2007) AND
    bb device software v4.3 (updated 11/13/2007)

you must download them BOTH to your pc. they are .exe files. click on them and an install wizard will guide you through the rest. now you should be able to use the desktop manager's application loader w/ no problem. i was having the same issue and this was the fix. good luck!
    02-23-08 10:41 AM
    Fantastic Idea. Well written.
    02-23-08 10:42 AM
    Thanks so much, I was stumped until I read all this. I downloaded the telus.exe from blackberry's site and it works perfectly now
    02-23-08 03:19 PM
    I'm not sure if I just can't read....or what!! For some reason I totally overlooked the "device" download!

Thanks so much.....works perfect now!!

What would I do with Crack?
    02-23-08 07:05 PM
    I'm not sure if I just can't read....or what!! For some reason I totally overlooked the "device" download!
    exactly! i did the same thing. gadget set me straight. glad you got it straight, too!
    02-23-08 09:02 PM
    IT WORKED - IT WORKED! Thanks SO much for this usefull info! I've been working on this for days and thought (or assumed) I had all of the software installed from the cd. I didn't know there was a seperate download for the DEVICE? Thanks again!
    02-23-08 11:00 PM
    so i think ive done what the op says...

i have dm 4.2.2.14 and i've installed device software for the 8310 :
    BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.312 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.312
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.2.2.170
    Software Platform: 2.5.0.30
    File name: 8310M_PBr4.2.2_rel312_PL2.5.0.30_A4.2.2.170_AT&T.e xe
    File size: 78.56MB

and on the berry itself ,... its funning 4.2.2.170

whenever i try to load a theme ive created it says no additional applications designed... blah blah blah...

im not sure what im missing? any help would be fantastic... thanks

the cod and alx files are in the same directory.
    02-27-08 07:09 AM
    having major problems with the error message...soooo confused, if someone could help me that would be great!

I just downloaded two things, both are unzipped and .alx files...I have troubleshooted as much as possible...went to tmobile.com and reinstalled both desktop manager and the handheld software and restarted the comp....still when I go to add the files the error message of "No additional applications designed for your device were found" pops up.....any suggestions?

~B
    03-01-08 07:48 PM
    GRRR!this is frustrating. I'm with Telus. I've downloaded the desktop manager and the device software, but i still get this damn message!
    03-03-08 12:47 AM
    Regarding the verizon downloads dated 11/20 and 11/13, i understand you have to download them both....but now the verizon website has 11/20 and a february update, will downloading those 2 work as well?????? THANKS, this problem is driving me nuts!!!!!
    03-04-08 03:57 PM
    Regarding the verizon downloads dated 11/20 and 11/13, i understand you have to download them both....but now the verizon website has 11/20 and a february update, will downloading those 2 work as well?????? THANKS, this problem is driving me nuts!!!!!
    yes. they updated it since this post, so it will work. good luck! let us know what happens please
    03-04-08 03:59 PM
    so i think ive done what the op says...

i have dm 4.2.2.14 and i've installed device software for the 8310 :
    BlackBerry Handheld Software v4.2.2.312 (Multilanguage)

Package Version: 4.2.2.312
    Consisting of:
    Applications: 4.2.2.170
    Software Platform: 2.5.0.30
    File name: 8310M_PBr4.2.2_rel312_PL2.5.0.30_A4.2.2.170_AT&T.e xe
    File size: 78.56MB

and on the berry itself ,... its funning 4.2.2.170

whenever i try to load a theme ive created it says no additional applications designed... blah blah blah...

im not sure what im missing? any help would be fantastic... thanks

the cod and alx files are in the same directory.
    what os version was the theme created for?
    03-04-08 04:00 PM
    I am still getting the "no additional applications". I downloaded the AT&T software for an 8310 and I downloaded device manager version 4.3. I am sure it is something easy, but I have not figured it out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    sam
    03-26-08 08:07 AM
    Make sure that you double-click on the 8310 software package and install it, too. It has to be unpacked, as it were. Add/Remove Programs should have entries for both Desktop Manager and BlackBerry Handheld for 8310 or something similar.
    03-26-08 08:30 AM
    I was having the same prob when I tried to install themes early on as well. This is for everyone with theme install probs: make sure when you go to the application loader and hit add the application, change the open box to all files not just .alx files. Double-click on the .cod file for the theme you want to add. This is the one you use when adding from the zip folder. Hope this helps everyone...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-26-08 10:17 AM
    I was having the same prob when I tried to install themes early on as well. This is for everyone with theme install probs: make sure when you go to the application loader and hit add the application, change the open box to all files not just .alx files. Double-click on the .cod file for the theme you want to add. This is the one you use when adding from the zip folder. Hope this helps everyone...

I tried this and everything else that I have read in this thread and I still can't get it. I am wondering if I have the wrong software. If anyone has an 8310 on ATT&T, could you tell me the exact software you downloaded?

Thanks,
    sam
    03-26-08 08:45 PM

All here seem to be trying to load a theme? I'm getting that SAME error msg when trying to install an app. I bought Empower Pro E-mail via this site for my 8820 Thursday. Still cant install it and, despite receiving "were working on it" msgs, I have yet to receive a SOLUTION. Followed all instructions, unzip, yada yada, "Add," yada, have BOTH an alx AND a cod file. Thought the "loader" wud know which to use? Gess I shud double click the alx?

One xtra problem. Since the PAID FOR software wud not work. I downloaded the TRIAL version. Cant get them to TELL me HOW to make the trial version a registered version since I bought and paid for it? Do I have to uninstall the trial using the desktop mgr BEFORE I try agn to install the paid version, or will it just "overright?"

Thank you!
    03-29-08 10:01 AM
    I am still getting the "no additional applications". I downloaded the AT&T software for an 8310 and I downloaded device manager version 4.3. I am sure it is something easy, but I have not figured it out. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    sam
    I'm having the EXACT same problem, only I tried downloading the device driver software for 8310 and it said it couldn't locate the download.... Anyone know what the deal is?!
    04-01-08 02:37 AM
    Just wanted to say thanks for posting the solution. Fixed my problem.

Would it really be so hard for Verizon to provide all of this on the disc so that everything works "out of the box"?

Anyway, thanks again.
    04-14-08 07:35 AM
    Thank you so much for posting that RRRebo. Kind of a hassle that one has to go through that, but I'm glad I got it working. Thanks again.
    04-27-08 09:09 PM
    Happy to be of service. It's the fundamental way to start getting the most out of your BlackBerry. See John Clark's optimization post next.

Welcome to The Crack!
    04-28-08 08:51 AM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD