Hey guys, I got a BB Curve without doing my research and was devastated when I came home to find that this product basically only is meant to be used with PC computers. I, of course, bought an iMac 3 months ago.

Now I know that Pocket Mac and Missing Sync exist, but I keep hearing about how problematic they are. Of course, I cannot attempt to use these programs (for me, mostly to upload media to my BB) until the Micro SD I ordered gets here (another annoyance).

But somehow I feel as if nothing will be as natural a fit for linking to my computer than an iPhone. Now don't get me wrong, I really love my Blackberry, and I want so badly to stay a Blackberry guy, but the iPhone is beckoning!

I'm already dead set on returning my Curve this weekend, but at this point I'm trying to decide whether to get to exchange it for a Bold or an iPhone. Unfortunately for this wannabe Blackberry guy, the fact that I have a Mac pretty much makes the iPhone a winner.

I'm hoping against hope that somebody can convince me otherwise.
    02-03-09 09:15 PM
    I would disagree that being a mac owner eliminates you from the blackberry world, but there are limitations. I have Pocket Mac, and have no problem synching to my mac. However, I just found out that there is a new software release available for my BB that I can't get since I don't have a PC. I'm still searching for a work around on the software update, but it may require a visit to the store.
    02-03-09 09:24 PM
    while i'm sure there are limitations, i agree with thisisd, you can most definitely use your blackberry despite having a mac. i'm not a mac user, so i can't speak to pocket mac or missing sync, but i do know there there are lots of OTA (over the air) downloads - download straight from your blackberry browser. once your media card gets to you, if you have a media card reader, connect it to your computer and you can load music/pics/etc onto the media card.

good luck with your decision!
    02-03-09 09:50 PM
    I use both Windows and OSX on a daily basis for work so I haven't been limited by only having one OS, but if I were only using the Mac I would use Bootcamp or VMWare Fusion to get the full functionality with RIM's software if that were my goal. I'd first try the programs mentioned above, and then try running Windows through one of those programs. If you only have the iMac I would recommend installing Windows anyway for those "just in case times" when you find that you have a program that doesn't have a Mac equivalent and you've got to get something done in a hurry.

Good luck!
    02-03-09 10:29 PM
    I have a macbook pro. Its the best laptop in the universe

I have a BB 8330. Its the best smartfone in the universe

Not really - to either. But, pretty close. I looked at other laptops and decided the mac was the right one for me. I choose to use it, however, but, most of the business world uses windoze machines. So, I run VMware Fusion to access XP. There are times when you just need XP.

One of the advantages is that I can EASILY use my 8330. Because the iphone is (IMHO) a toy. Cute. Cool. Trendy. But, a toy!

There is no way I could or would type all this "on glass" - yet I am doing it on my bb.

I guess the point is, if you want a toy - the iphone is the way to go. If you need a world class smartfone... The bb is the choice.

Just my opinion... YMMV.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-03-09 11:01 PM
    I have a mac, and don't ever sync my BB with it.

I use google for my calendar and contacts (which you can sync with at least iCal, not sure about contacts) and it syncs wirelessly which is preferrable if you ask me.

As far as songs, i have an iPod to take care of that, plus I have slacker on my BB so I occasionally listen to that as well.

When I was choosing between an iPhone and BB (for my personal phone) it came down to the monthly service plan, and my current plan (with Sprint) is half as much as the cheapest iPhone plan...

overall I've been pleased with my BB, but that doesn't mean I'm a lifer - i still may get an iPhone next time around...but then again you never know what else will be out there!!
    02-04-09 08:34 AM
    I'd say move back to the PC since they blow mac away anyway ^_^
    02-04-09 08:38 AM
    I'd say move back to the PC since they blow mac away anyway ^_^
    Have you ever even used a Mac? Either way how is the comment even remotely helpful?

Hey guys, I got a BB Curve without doing my research and was devastated when I came home to find that this product basically only is meant to be used with PC computers. I, of course, bought an iMac 3 months ago.

Now I know that Pocket Mac and Missing Sync exist, but I keep hearing about how problematic they are. Of course, I cannot attempt to use these programs (for me, mostly to upload media to my BB) until the Micro SD I ordered gets here (another annoyance).

But somehow I feel as if nothing will be as natural a fit for linking to my computer than an iPhone. Now don't get me wrong, I really love my Blackberry, and I want so badly to stay a Blackberry guy, but the iPhone is beckoning!

I'm already dead set on returning my Curve this weekend, but at this point I'm trying to decide whether to get to exchange it for a Bold or an iPhone. Unfortunately for this wannabe Blackberry guy, the fact that I have a Mac pretty much makes the iPhone a winner.

I'm hoping against hope that somebody can convince me otherwise.
    Missing Sync 2.0 (in public testing right now) works like a charm. Haven't had any issues with it since the latest build. And RIM has been alluding to a new Desktop Manager for Mac as well. Certainly isn't an immediate fix, but it's coming. So, if your only reason for wanting to dump the BB is for syncing, you might do well to wait a while.
    02-04-09 08:51 AM
    I have a Mac, I have a BB...I use PocketMac and I've had NO problems with it at all. I know that people like to upgrade their OS and all that good stuff but I don't have any interest in doing so so it doesn't affect me. There's NOTHING that would sway me to get an iPhone. I have an iPod, and the only music that plays on my BB is the Slacker.

I've been reading around that RIM is working on a desktop manager for Macs so you can just sit tight.
    02-04-09 08:57 AM
    I just use VMware Fusion, and it works quite nicely
    02-04-09 10:50 AM
    I also have a Mac and a BB Curve. I used to fight with the Mac to sync with the BB but then I just had to admit that the Mac and the BB don't like each other and that I can still be BOTH their friends!!

I now use my PC for everything Blackberry and it has made my life so much easier. It syncs perfectly, no problems with Desktop Manager, etc.

Keep your BB and just use a PC for upkeep of it and you will be alot happier.
    02-04-09 01:00 PM
    VMware fusion or virtual box.
    02-04-09 01:02 PM
    Agreed that there are some limitations. I use my Pearl for personal e-mail only, so since I have no need to sync up with work, I use PocketMac to sync at home. We use PCs at work so I use that when I need to upgrade my OS or install apps, etc using Desktop Manager.

that being said, a number of peeps have said they use VMFusion, Parallels, or virtual box on their Mac to run a quasi-Windows session so they can run Desktop Manager, and it seems to work fairly well.

As for RIM coming out with a Mac version, according to Reed (one of the Mods here/Mac user), don't hold your breath, b/c it would require RIM to also create Mac-compatible versions of every OS update for every blackberry. Acc to him that would be extremely labor-intensive and perhaps not worth their time, but you never know...
    02-04-09 04:42 PM
    I thought I read this somewhere, but isnt RIM was developing a Mac version of DM...
    02-04-09 05:56 PM
    As for RIM coming out with a Mac version, according to Reed (one of the Mods here/Mac user), don't hold your breath, b/c it would require RIM to also create Mac-compatible versions of every OS update for every blackberry. Acc to him that would be extremely labor-intensive and perhaps not worth their time, but you never know...
    The Mac isn't running the updated OS, the device is. Why would there need to be a "Mac compatible" update? All that should be needed is a method to push the update from the Mac to the device.
    02-04-09 09:33 PM
    Hopefully I haven't read this too late. Meaning, that you haven't already exchanged your BB. I am a  user. I used a PC until about 4 years ago, when I got tired of all the terrible customer service with Del, HP and Sony. I have been happy with my Macbook and the wonderful customer care ever since and would never dream of ever going back to the dark side. LOL

As far as Blackberry, I've been a blackberry user since 2002. That's when the scroll button was on the side and everything was black and white.

I too was tempted to want the iphone. I made my entire company switch from Verizon to At&t just so I could buy the iphone. I even waited 3 weeks just to have the white 16 GB iphone.

Lets see! Where do I start? BIG MISTAKE! When I realized I couldn't take a picture and text it to someone, like I can easily do with my BB, I was disappointed but okay, I could live without that feature because the iphone has so many other fun,(yet useless)features to it.

When I couldn't seem to OPEN a picture that someone else sent me, I just thought I was doing something wrong. I mean Apple is one of the best companies around and I love my , so what was I doing wrong? Then, I discovered that the person sending the picture must send it to my email address that is linked to my iphone, not your phone number.
    Well, thats great if the person texting the picture has that feature on there phone to email. That's not common unless they have a smart phone. My parents just learned how to text, so I know they don't have that feature.

Finally, when I discovered that I couldn't just click on phone numbers, emails, links ect. ect. and save them, like I can with my BB, I gave up. I didn't even mention the fact of having to charge my battery sometimes twice within 24 hours. After all, I am a Crackberry user, so I use my phone a lot. My BB battery last for days without having to charge it.

I was so done!

Lucky for me, AT&T had a 30 day trial on there phones. I couldn't even wait 30 days to get my trusty BB back. After 21 long agonizing days I switch back to my BB curve.

I use my work computer to sinc my Blackberry at this time. Its not all that bad. I love the functionality of the BB. Furthermore, everyone around who criticized me years ago for using the BB now all use them as well.

It is the best, and before long, I'm confident that the  company will make it easier for us BB users. Or should I say CRACKBERRY users.

Keep the Blackberry and hang in there.

Skinnygirl
    02-09-09 12:01 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD