Almost convinced to do it. I have had the Storm the first of Jan '09, with the .75 OS. I have read the posts related about backing up files etc. and my ? is by using the backup provided through the BB DM good enough. Some are doing complete wipes and others are installing over their original OS. What am I missing or am I? Sorry for being basic.
    02-03-09 08:25 PM
    Don't wipe your phone if you're a first time upgrader. As a matter of fact, you dont need to EVER wipe your phone. I've gone from OS to OS without a single wipe and have messed nothing up. What people dont get is that RIM designs these OS to be able to just install right over the other one. The general public doesnt know how to/want to wipe their phone to update it.

And yes backing up with DM is fine.
    02-03-09 08:29 PM
    So I got my Storm around the middle of January. I ran with .75 until two days ago when I decided to upgrade to .99... I just installed over the .75 and have had very few problems. Its way faster, smoother, and usuable this way! When I updated I freaked out a little because at one point it seemed to have stalled but I waited it out and the phone booted right up.

I do believe however that different Storms have different issues. I have encountered a lock key problem. My phone only seems to unlock if I have it in landscape mode. Weird, right?!

But I do suggest an upgrade! It will make your Storm several times better!

EDIT

I backed up before upgrading but that was almost not needed because everything was still there when the upgrade was over... But I still suggest backing up with DM just in case... and it was built by RIM for BB's so its the best!
    02-03-09 08:35 PM
    ok does the normal backup in desktop manager backup everything like my contacts and conversations etc or just specifics? I have heard that my 3rd party apps are not backed up but thats not a biggie as I can just search for them again. I don't mind being flamed for this question as I want to be sure that I dont loose many years of contacts.
    02-03-09 08:42 PM
    ok does the normal backup in desktop manager backup everything like my contacts and conversations etc or just specifics? I have heard that my 3rd party apps are not backed up but thats not a biggie as I can just search for them again. I don't mind being flamed for this question as I want to be sure that I dont loose many years of contacts.
    The backup will backup everything on your phone EXCEPT third party apps... which is another process... easy process!

I cannot post URL's yet but its in the stickied how to upgrade!
    02-03-09 08:50 PM
    Almost convinced to do it. I have had the Storm the first of Jan '09, with the .75 OS. I have read the posts related about backing up files etc. and my ? is by using the backup provided through the BB DM good enough. Some are doing complete wipes and others are installing over their original OS. What am I missing or am I? Sorry for being basic.
    I would proceed with the upgrade, no I would not wipe the phone. Yes backing up your data through the DM is a good move and will be done automatically if upgrading over the existing OS. Also, when upgrading use caution when adding 3rd party applications. These vendors are not going to re-write their software code to stay current with the latest leaked OS. This can cause some of the issues that have been stated throughout these forums. These are not Official they are Beta and may have glitches...
    With that said .99 has been nothing short of flawless for me
    02-03-09 10:19 PM
    I was nervous upgrading (1st time) from .75 to .99. I followed the instructions VERY CAREFULLY and was sucessful. I had to re-register some apps. Make sure you have your keys, as directed. The system is running very well, only froze once in 2 days. I'm really impressed with .99 (I can only compare .65 and .75 as a rookie). The battery power is great.
    02-03-09 10:28 PM
    Don't wipe your phone if you're a first time upgrader. As a matter of fact, you dont need to EVER wipe your phone. I've gone from OS to OS without a single wipe and have messed nothing up. What people dont get is that RIM designs these OS to be able to just install right over the other one. The general public doesnt know how to/want to wipe their phone to update it.

And yes backing up with DM is fine.
    I seriously think steel cage matches were designed for people to fight about wipe VERSUS no wipe in terms of installing new OS's.

For every person that says don't do a wipe there will be another that says do it. I think experience/comfort level with your device sometimes dictates if/whn you do a wipe if you do one at all.

I think of it as deleting everything on a 3.5" floppy versus formatting it...

My $.02
    02-04-09 11:13 PM
    Definitely read thru the "how to's" if your gonna wipe. Personally, every time I perform a jl_cmd wipe and clean off previous OS of laptop and load up a new one....my experience is better.
    02-04-09 11:21 PM
    storm is my first bb and ive gone through all the betas and have wiped w/ jl before every one. just seems like the best way to do it, that way you know your not getting anything left behind. its not hard to do, even though ive already seen a few error screeens and bricked a few installs but i think thats from gettin a little too careless when im deleting all the .cod files i know *(think?) i wont use from the java folder lol
    02-04-09 11:26 PM
    I have only wiped going from .86 to .85 but other then that, never wiped during OS installs.
    02-04-09 11:46 PM
    Definitely read thru the "how to's" if your gonna wipe. Personally, every time I perform a jl_cmd wipe and clean off previous OS of laptop and load up a new one....my experience is better.
    Word.

Even though the whole process of doing the OS update has unfortunately become a second nature for me, I always, always, always...keep http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/ open while I am doing it to make sure I follow the steps, inserting my personal steps for the wipe between 3 and 4.
    02-04-09 11:49 PM
    and i read another post that said .99 os still better then .103. True?
    02-15-09 06:11 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD