I was so excited about this phone because I wanted it to replace my iPod touch for e-mail and IM on-the-go with an actual keyboard. After getting it, I found out that wi-fi on this phone is sooo limited. You pretty much can't do anything with it but surf the net and the browser is slow, even opera mini, compared to the iPod. the GMail app and google maps only work with a data plan. I am so disappointed!! I guess I should've done more research, but the phone looked too sexy and all the hype on the internet got me exploding with excitment.

Anyways, do you think the features/apps I mentioned will ever work with wi-fi alone? Or will it always require a data plan? I was really hoping it would be like the iPhone where you can use everything on wi-fi if you wanted to.
    02-02-09 07:50 PM
    I'm sure many of the apps will eventually move towards more wifi friendly, however, a Blackberry, like an iPhone, like a G1 all require a data plan to fully reach its potential. Sorry to say. Its like buying a Ferarri and not putting in oil. Doesn't do much good. Hope you still like it!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-02-09 07:57 PM
    This has to do with your carrier. If you add that to your information we would be able to assist you better. Blackberry does not run off of the regular data plan that phones such as the iPhone do. Instead it runs with a Blackberry data plan, which is different and has additional functionality that the normal data plan does not. It is possible to do what you do over the Blackberry data plan through your WiFi connection, as long as you have a Blackberry plan on your account, but this depends on your carrier. To do this, your carrier needs to support UMA. AT&T does not, T-mobile and Rogers do.
    02-02-09 07:59 PM
    I believe that blackberries will become more wifi friendly in time, but I think that the push e-mail will always require a data plan in order for the native e-mail client to work.
    02-02-09 08:16 PM
    For a more technical explanation, a data plan is required. Without it, the BlackBerry does not have a BIS account set up for it. Without this, there is nothing to pull the messages out of your email accounts, and subsequently nothing to push the email out to your device. Also, UMA would not be required for email support - only for VoIP service.

EDIT: Typo...
    02-03-09 02:05 AM
    I don't know about you but my browser is hella fast. it loads faster than my computer

02-03-09 02:05 AM
    For a more technical explanation, a data plan is required. Without it, the BlackBerry does not have a BIS account set up for it. Without this, there is nothing to pull the messages out of your email accounts, and subsequently nothing to push the email out to your device. Also, UMA would not be required for email support - only for VoIP service.

EDIT: Typo...
    This is just not simply not correct. A data plan is not required. It does make things easier but it is not required. Sure without a Blackberry data plan you will not have the ability to connect through the Blackberry system to get your emails but that does not mean you can not configure 3rd party applications to work through WiFi that will check your email. You can also send email through these applications.

UMA connects three things through a WiFi connection using a secure tunnel. The Blackberry network, the Internet and your mobile carrier's network. Through this tunnel you have access to your cell plan and can complete calls. You can also check your email through your BIS plan using the secure channel using only the WiFi connection.

My carrier does not have UMA so I do not have the ability to do these things over WiFi.
    02-03-09 10:08 AM
    I knew right when I read it that this was a person who didn't have a data plan. Yes, you can do certain things without data plan. However...if you expect to get certain things like push e-mail and things of that nature, you will need a data plan. Bottom line: don't expect too much without a data plan.
    02-03-09 10:26 AM
    I knew right when I read it that this was a person who didn't have a data plan. Yes, you can do certain things without data plan. However...if you expect to get certain things like push e-mail and things of that nature, you will need a data plan. Bottom line: don't expect too much without a data plan.
    If you were referring to my previous post then you are mistaken. I do have a data plan, in fact I recommend that everyone get a data plan. At the same time I am not going to steer someone wrong and just tell them a data plan is required, because it is not. The caveat is, if you do not get a data plan then you will have to do more leg work on your own setting up 3rd party applications to mimic the data plan's abilities as much as possible. Even then you will not be able to do everything a data plan can do. BBM is one of those things. You can still have a functional device without a data plan if you put in the additional work to make it happen.
    02-03-09 10:34 AM
    If you were referring to my previous post then you are mistaken. I do have a data plan, in fact I recommend that everyone get a data plan. At the same time I am not going to steer someone wrong and just tell them a data plan is required, because it is not. The caveat is, if you do not get a data plan then you will have to do more leg work on your own setting up 3rd party applications to mimic the data plan's abilities as much as possible. Even then you will not be able to do everything a data plan can do. BBM is one of those things. You can still have a functional device without a data plan if you put in the additional work to make it happen.
    No, not a reference to your post, but the OP.
    02-03-09 10:41 AM
    I'm sure many of the apps will eventually move towards more wifi friendly, however, a Blackberry, like an iPhone, like a G1 all require a data plan to fully reach its potential. Sorry to say. Its like buying a Ferarri and not putting in oil. Doesn't do much good. Hope you still like it!

And what good does it do when the WiFi is so limited? All the iphone apps (i.e. weather, email, stocks, etc. )are 100% WiFi compatible which the topic creator was talking about. You can do more with WiFi on the iphone and many win mobile phones then you could do on the blackberry’s somewhat useless WiFi. Since the blackberry relies so heavily on a data plan, then what is one to do if the blackberry servers crash?
    Last edited by riceberry2008; 02-03-09 at 11:15 AM.
    02-03-09 11:06 AM
    I kinda agree that the current wifi on a BB is lousy. However I'm laying the blame for this at the carriers feet.
    Rim's server infrastructure and services are "technically" possiblle over wifi only. Its the carriers
    That want you to have to purchase a dedicated BB plan who are making these features "not work". We as consumers
    Need to hold the carriers accountable if we want to see change.

02-03-09 12:00 PM
    Why is the WiFi lousy? As far as I can tell the WiFi works great. If the majority of applications on the Blackberry were designed to use the Blackberry data plan exclusively instead of the WiFi then I can understand what you are saying but that is not related to the WiFi. This falls on the application developers. Since the Blackberry is designed around the Blackberry internet plans infrastructure then I can see where the developers were coming from. Its relatively new that a Blackberry device has WiFi so I think, in time, the applications will be more diverse. Once the Blackberry Application store is launched I'm sure we will get more and more great apps.
    02-03-09 12:27 PM
    Do you really think the Blackberry internet plans are so unique and different from wifi connectivity? All that's required is a way to uniquely identify the BB device on ANY network (wifi, GSM, or CDMA). This is already in place as evidenced by the fact you can use a browser to surf with no data plan.

Agreed that in time the applications will be more diverse, but again, it's the carriers that want to control this. Someone utilizing a BB as a phone and wifi device only, but getting the same functionality means less $$ in the carriers pocket when you're not buying a data plan.

That's why UMA works right now - cause it's still a revenue stream for the carriers.
    02-03-09 05:16 PM
    Do you really think the Blackberry internet plans are so unique and different from wifi connectivity? All that's required is a way to uniquely identify the BB device on ANY network (wifi, GSM, or CDMA). This is already in place as evidenced by the fact you can use a browser to surf with no data plan.

Agreed that in time the applications will be more diverse, but again, it's the carriers that want to control this. Someone utilizing a BB as a phone and wifi device only, but getting the same functionality means less $$ in the carriers pocket when you're not buying a data plan.

That's why UMA works right now - cause it's still a revenue stream for the carriers.
    The Blackberry data plans are unique and different from the other data plans in that the traffic is routed through RIM's servers.
    02-03-09 05:30 PM
    Yes, but it still could be when utilizing wifi as well. Rim isn't the problem, your carrier is. BES is a prime example of this
    BES goes right over internet to RIM. No reason why your phone can't do the same thing over wifi other than the carriers
    Lose their control.

02-03-09 05:55 PM
    Yes I hear ya. It will be interesting to see just how far the upcoming apps can go with this. I know the carriers do not want to lose their control though!
    02-03-09 06:15 PM
    My wifi browsing is pretty fast on .133 and slacker radio uses wifi

02-03-09 07:11 PM
    Sorry bro, you gotta join the rest of us and become a slave to the phone companies. Yet its worth it.
    02-03-09 09:45 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD