Ignore the damn application memory.

I've been running my Storm for the last 2 or so hours with no better than 12MB of free application memory and it has been running fantastically. The more free memory you have, the less of it is actually being used. You should actually want as much of it to be taken advantage of as possible.

On my computer here, I have 4GB worth of DDR2 memory.

Only 25MB of that 4GB is actually free memory as of this moment and my computer's performance is lightning quick for literally anything I want to use it for. So why then would low free memory be this god awful thing on the Storm?

Simple, I say it isn't and it's probably about time the myth died.
    02-02-09 02:41 PM
    I think it's more when there's overuse by certain apps or OS processes it leaves less memory for anything new you want to do.

On your desktop, if you wanted to launch another app that is going to use another 200mb of memory but you only have 25mb, you will begin getting further into virtual memory which is slower. On the Storm, not sure what would happen. Deletion of SMS/MMS/etc. I suppose.
    02-02-09 02:49 PM
    dunno about that... logmaid has made my storm work the way it supposed to on .90
    my storm has never been better and im constantly above 40mb....

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com

02-02-09 02:56 PM
    I think you are right. I never have any problems with my phone and I decided after reading this to take a look at the memory, something I never do. I was at 9mb. And my phone has no issues. I'm running .75 and the only apps installed are the latest viigo, and crack berry launcher.

02-02-09 02:58 PM
    The difference between the Storm and a desktop virtual memory is size. The desktop has many gigabytes of virtual memory available (read disk drive space), not nearly so much (read no disk drive to swap/page to) on the storm.

I think, but not knowing the executive/os/application memory management strategy of the storm I can only guess, that memory fragmentation with the small amount that the storm has can become an issue. Note: "CAN" not always will.

I still find that when the available memory on my storm gets below 20mb it gets sluggish (to put it nicely) but if I give it a chance it will often recover memory and perform decently.
    02-02-09 03:48 PM
    Mine runs well when memory is low (below 10 MB). However, it will eventually get to 0.0 MB, and then it starts showing the black clock with everything I do.

So, if the memory is low, I try to reboot before it gets all the way to zero.
    02-02-09 03:51 PM
    Right now I have exactly 2.5MB and still running like a champ.

I think the application memory being high or low is no guarantee of anything and it shouldn't matter one way or the other if your phone is operating as it should.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 02-02-09 at 07:40 PM.
    02-02-09 05:41 PM
    I have to agree. I've seen my memory everywhere from 12 MB to 33 MB (which seems to be my highest) with no change in performance.
    02-02-09 05:47 PM
    I'm currently at 16.4MB free application memory. I'm not sure exactly what happens when the memory runs out or gets down to zero. I would still love to get an app that allows me to close any open programs I have running on my storm.

03-07-09 09:19 AM
    Traditionally blackberries have always liked to maintain around 12MB of free file memory in order to operate without the hourglass or in the storms case a pacing clock. This number is just a guideline. However when you run out of space with your application memory you will find the phone will lock up as it is trying to go into memory recovery mode i.e. deleting text messages, clearing logs, deleting emails. These phones do not have any virtual memory like a PC does. (Though it could simplify things). I have been saying for a long time now that RIM should be making the application memory expandable or upgradeable. That would make these phones unstoppable.
    03-07-09 09:50 AM
    It's fine as long as you have some available. Once it hits 0 though it all goes to isht. Don't plan on getting anything done the same day!
    03-07-09 03:15 PM
    The problem isn't really with how much is being used for cached content, the problem is how much you actually have avilable to be freed up to be used for storage of user data as it's needed. This is the ratio that you cannot see, so people depend upon just whatever they see as Free memory. If it gets too low, there's really no good way of knowing where you are in terms of cached or prefetch amount being used. I've noticed that generally on my Storm with 109 on it, that memory taken for normal opperations can range from 18-22MB out of total free. I'm sure it likely a ratio of free available to start with, but with about 49MB free after reboot, memory drops to 29MB+/- 3MB during normal opperations.
    03-07-09 03:39 PM
    I have seen the opposite with .109. the more free memory I have, the slower the phone runs. I have 30+ MB free right now and am still getting the stopwatch/hourglass/whatever.
    03-07-09 04:08 PM
    I never really paid attention to the free memory. Seems like a shortcut down the OCD Road to me.

I've seen my memory at about 12mb, usually after I've gone a week or so since the last reset (from app deletion or OS upgrade). The clock spinning I see when I know the phone is busy doing something (loading the media card after disconnecting from Mass Storage Mode, ect).

The OP offered the best advice: if you're phone is running to your satisfaction, why bother poking around?
    03-07-09 04:48 PM
    dunno about that... logmaid has made my storm work the way it supposed to on .90
    my storm has never been better and im constantly above 40mb....

logmaid? is this something that helps when it sloooowwwws down to a crawl?
    03-07-09 05:05 PM
    I dont know, I notice my browser and and picture scrolling slow down after the phone has been running all day and the mem is down to aroun 16mb. It was 40mb to start the day and the browser was running faster. Not saying your wrong just posting what i notice
    03-07-09 06:07 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD