Hi all,

Does anyone know if there is a coating, possibly anti-glare on the 8900 camera lens? I noticed some scratches on mine and decided to rub whatever coating there was off completely. Has not affected the function except maybe anti-glare / reflection off water etc (untried).

So far, loving the 8900 over the Storm on many more levels.
    02-02-09 06:53 AM
    Im sure it is coated to reduce fingerprints and scratches. I dont think it will be a big deal though.
    02-02-09 07:55 AM
    I'm sure you're right. I've been using the OEM case but that did not stop the coating getting scratched. No bid deal. Cheers!
    02-02-09 08:11 AM
    Did you just rub the coating off with your finger?

I was freaking out for a minute until I found this post. I noticed my camera was badly scratched up (or thought it was) until I noticed it was some kind of coating. Thanks for posting this.
    02-17-09 02:15 PM
    I have had my 8900 for a little over a month and I just noticed that I see what looks like a smudge/scratch over the lens. It looks liks it is peeling up on the outer edges (like a plastic protector when it was brand new in the box) but I am not able to peel anything off and don't want to risk further damage to it. Does anyone know if there is an original plastic protection piece covering it brand new in the box or can anyone confirm that is it some kind of anti glare coating that should have no "real" effect on picture quality?
    03-16-09 01:40 PM
    I believe there is a coating over the camera assembly. That is probably what you are talking about. Can you provide a picture?
    03-16-09 01:45 PM
    Here are some pictures hopefully you can see it clearly
    03-16-09 02:40 PM
    Yep, looks like the coating has been scratched. I'm not sure what else you can do at this point other than remove it. But before you do that, maybe someone else has a better solution?
    03-16-09 02:57 PM
    what does that coating actually do?
    03-16-09 03:01 PM
    Ooops, I scratched mine all the way off. I hope the coating doesn't serve an important purpose.
    03-16-09 03:04 PM
    Ooops, I scratched mine all the way off. I hope the coating doesn't serve an important purpose.
    Lol I took mine off too, but the camera seems to be working just fine without it, I've only had my phone for a few days, but I can't be bothered to replace it, it's too much of a hassle!!
    03-17-09 08:56 PM
    The scratching of the lens coating is bugging me to no end. Plus I have the shifting/wobbly keyboard thing so I really want a replacement. I contacted tmobile via live chat, got a very nice woman who asked me a couple of questions and ultimately said I can have the phone replaced. Then she hit me with a surprise that I have to pay to have a new phone shipped and no guarentee that it won't be refurbished. Has anyone had a phone replaced and recieved a brand new one rather than a refurb? Also does anyone know if the camera lens coating thing can be replaced by like cnn.cn or some other way? Does anyone even know WHAT the coating is for?

Directed toward shu456..so you completely wiped off the coating and camera is fine? Picture quality is the same as it was with it?
    03-19-09 01:41 PM
    That part is not available from cnn. I'm not sure if it will become available or not as this is the piece that has the water damage indicator on it among other things.
    03-19-09 01:50 PM
    Oh so that is why the rep was asking me to look for some kind of a box and tell her the color. I still don't see any box per se. Thanks for the response though
    03-19-09 01:53 PM
    I think I might get a protector for mine
    03-19-09 05:49 PM
    I think I might get a protector for mine
    to cover the lens? I think it'll ruin the photos you take.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-19-09 06:24 PM
    The BSE piece has a cutout over the lens but makes it really difficult to actually touch the lens with it on there. For what it's worth.
    03-19-09 07:12 PM
    Here are some pictures hopefully you can see it clearly
    Just a question. Completely unrelevant (other than the fact that i have the same scratched camera lens coating), but is there a difference in the battery door cover on the Blackberry? This may be a stupid question, but I havent seen a thread around with an answer.

Everyone's seems to be silver, and I dont know if i've ever seen another black one like my own. I saw a picture today, Rihanna was holding her 8900 and this is when I noticed, "I dont have a silver battery door cover".
    03-19-09 08:48 PM
    I think my phone might be suffering from a similar problem.

I breathed on it and rubbed off more of the coating it seems.
    Last edited by Skynet00; 04-12-09 at 03:48 PM.
    04-12-09 02:38 PM
    Just a question. Completely unrelevant (other than the fact that i have the same scratched camera lens coating), but is there a difference in the battery door cover on the Blackberry? This may be a stupid question, but I havent seen a thread around with an answer.

Everyone's seems to be silver, and I dont know if i've ever seen another black one like my own. I saw a picture today, Rihanna was holding her 8900 and this is when I noticed, "I dont have a silver battery door cover".
    Mine's black too. Had mine for 5 days. I'd say the newer phones have black bat doors.
    04-12-09 02:53 PM
    I had an older LG phone that did this but I was able to take the coating off *shrugs* no issues to report with mine so far...grey battery door here too, lol I HATE IT
    04-12-09 03:45 PM
    So does the coating serve any important purposes? I got mine 3 days ago and the coating is slightly scratched. Will it affect the quality of the pictures?? Thanks for any help!
    05-01-09 12:22 PM
    *bump* could anyone please help? Thank you.
    05-02-09 02:39 AM
    There are two things here.

1. The clear plastic cover over the lens is, in fact, part of the case and this protects the lens. It has no coating. It's just clear plastic. Scratching it will reduce the sharpness and contrast of your pics. You can test this two ways. a). if you wear glasses, look through them with extremely dirty leneses. b). if ya don't wear specs, get real close, less than 1" to a chain link fence and look at something in the distance. It's a bit blurry, right? Same thing for the lens cover on the phone. You do not seee the obstruction, it just degrades the image. The worse the scatches, the worse the problem. Many tiny scratches are as bad as one big 'un. Obviously you can replace the lens cover. It's why its there.

2. The lens itself is that tiny little thing about 1/16" across behind the lens cover. This is coated at manufacture to reduce glare/flare, color correction and lens protection. The coating is mineral and is extremely hard. If this get damaged (hard to do behind the lens cover) then you really need to replace the camera assembly. If you look really closely at the lens, you can see the coating as it reflects a sort of rainbow effect. This is a lot easier to do on a bigger lens but the physial properties are just the same.
    05-02-09 07:26 AM
    I am actually photographer. I always use this for my DSLR and Point & Shoot Camera:

This wont make lens scratches.. But I separate this for Blackberry only and other for DSLR & P&S Camera.

You can pick Micro-Fiber Cleaning Cloth from Walmart or the specify eyewear shop.

trust my words..

NOTE: don't steal my own hand-writing for check, others as forgery.. HA you better not! heh..
    Last edited by VIDGMER; 05-02-09 at 09:02 AM.
    05-02-09 08:59 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD