Ok. Im completely new to this forum. Im here because i have a question.
    I have been looking around these forums and some people are saying the texting is good, and some people say it sucks.

Im getting my blackberry around the 7th or the 8th. Were ordering it monday but it should be coming in around then. I have unlimited texting, and i text 24/7. Im just wondering:

* Can this phone text?

* If so, is it good?

* Does it do that stupid "sending message" thing for 15 minutes like my current flip phone does?

* How is the keyboard (keys too small, to hard to press, ext)

Thanks in advance.
    01-31-09 12:20 PM
    1) Yes it can text, but txts are sent as MMS (Multimedia messages)

2) It is good for some and bad for some. It really is hit and miss as far as reliability. Some devices require pulling the battery to get messages others do not.

3)No messages are sent instantly

4) personal preference I have big hands and it is ok for me.
    01-31-09 12:53 PM
    well, in a nut shell, if you get one without the teething issues like I had, you'll be very happy with it. I ordered mine on the 15th of Dec and rec'd it on the 17th. From then, all the way to the 12th of Jan, i had no texting at all on this phone. It would send just fine, but wouldn't receive a thing. I had this almost daily routine of calling in to Nextels BB side for a **** and moan session and to find out if anything was changing to fix this problem. Everything else on the phone worked fine, just no text messaging.

Finally, I got a CSR that had a clue, and he told me my BB account wasn't set up right from day one. After wiping the device and reinstalling the OS, he made various adjustments on his end, and after two hours on the phone with him, everything was finally working the way it should.

To date, everything is working perfectly. I have around 2000 texts done and so far, so good. Speed wise, i compose the text, which says is an MMS, (but if there is no media, like a pic), the message goes out as an sms. Hit send and it's out of the phone usually in 3-5 seconds and the other party receives it just that fast. When they send back, it'll zip right back into my phone in a few seconds and all is well. Now like any text messaging, you will lose 1 now and again, but it's not like it's even a noticeable thing. I lost maybe 3 or 4 so far, so no problem. There's a couple of extra clicks to make when composing a text, like clearing the typing field, but after you get used to the keyboard and menus, you'll do it and not even realize your doing it.

As far as the rest of it goes, email works beautiful, address book and calender are great, and most of the time, the actual phone itself works well. If I had to rate the phone (voice calls) performance, I would say it's 60-70% of what a perfectly working phone would do. They fixed my echo problem, so that's gone. It's a little picky about speed dialing with my bluetoof headset on, speaker phone makes you sound like your 20 feet away. Other than all that, I'm happy with it. As a commercial user, I needed the direct connect, and fortunately, that part works flawless.

Enjoy your new BB
    01-31-09 01:22 PM
    SWEET!!
    So your saying even if i do get one of the messed up bb's that cant recieve, all i have to do is reflash the fw, and call nextel and they can fix it?

YESH!!

and wow.
    2 days to ship it!
    SWEET!

Im soo excited!
    lol.

also, what costs extra money?

if i set up my email, will that cost me xtra money on my dads bill?
    and gps. does that cost extra?
    01-31-09 01:41 PM
    lol, but jump too far ahead. Mine finally got straightened out, but there's still a lot of people here with screwed up phones.

I don't know what your plan is, but mine is on the 99 buck unlimited, and there are no other charges beyond that. Make sure you get the TEP. It's still a 500 buck phone.
    Last edited by Jared1107; 01-31-09 at 01:46 PM.
    01-31-09 01:43 PM
    chances are i wont have a screwed up one?
    or chances say i will?

either way, it will eventually get fixed, right?

and about gps.
    free?
    01-31-09 01:45 PM
    I edited my prev post while you were typing. I think at this point, chances are you'll get a decent one, but theres no way to know until it's in your hand. As far as anything extra, see above prev post.
    01-31-09 01:48 PM
    ok.
    Im not on the simply everything� plan.

So im not even going to risk it.
    my dad would KILL ME.
    01-31-09 01:49 PM
    If I'm not mistaken, I think your email is part of the data plan your going to need with a BB. If you do a lot of emailing like I do, your gonna freakin love it. I have both my business email and my personal email going to the phone and they fly right thru every time. There's no checking you email or anything, it's push email, so when you get one, it gets blasted thru to the phone, and it notifies you. A nice little kicker I like, is they'll all sit on the phone and when you get back to a PC and check you email the usual way, they DL into your inbox and get taken off the phone without any other interaction. It's pretty trick and it works very well.
    01-31-09 01:57 PM
    whatever isnt included in your plan will cost extra direct connect and telenav but they wont activate it without a data package. kinda stupid for a slow azz internet. wifi hasnt given me much oohs and ahhs either.
    01-31-09 10:00 PM
    It is hit or miss really! I've had mine for bout a month and its well likw I said hit or miss! Good luck!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-31-09 10:08 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD