Hello all I'm trying to download the bolt browser and once I download it, I get
    A connection error anyone know what the problem may be? I used the unsigned
    Version. Thanks.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 06:26 PM
    The Bolt browser currently only works over WiFi. It should work fine once you are connected that way. Sorry for the bad news, I was kinda let down by this myself.
    01-30-09 06:53 PM
    Has it already installed to your berry, cause I had a problem where it would error ou when attempting to install. I had to email the support team and got an original canned response but eventually got a new email with referral code.

I have use the browser on edge, no wifi and my buddy has used on alltell cdma

01-30-09 07:04 PM
    Ok had to double check, edge not working but working on 8330 without wifi

01-30-09 07:09 PM
    BOLT is wifi only browser? What is the point then?
    01-30-09 07:41 PM
    Its not a wifi only browser... I don't have wifi but I love Bolt!!!

01-30-09 09:25 PM
    How do you guys get it to work on anything other than WiFi? What version are you running because mine only works via WiFi.
    01-30-09 09:38 PM
    Its not a wifi only browser... I don't have wifi but I love Bolt!!!

How does it compare to Opera mini or the default bb browser?
    01-31-09 12:13 AM
    Perhaps the Bold browser works either over WiFi or over an APN connection, this could be possible. I know for a fact it does not work over the BIS connection, at least not on the 8900, at least not on my 8900. My provider does not allow me to connect to their APN so I can only use Bolt over WiFi. If you guys can test which connections you are actually using with the Bolt browser for me, I would really appreciate it.
    01-31-09 12:18 AM
    Wow! Thanks guys! Well I guess I'm not the only one! Well I guess the best answer is just wait for it come out of beta stages!

01-31-09 02:34 AM
    Bolt is a server based browser (like Opera-Mini) that does not truly render on your device. It also does not acess the internet via blackberry.net so you will need to insure that your APN settings are set correctly for it to work over EDGE (when Bolt is able).

I have not tried Bolt, nor have I needed OM since I have owned my 8900 since I find, for the small amount of browsing that I do, the default BlackBerry browser is quite good enough for my needs.

Is there one website that I can go to that will clearly demonstrate the need for Bolt (other than speed)? I am talking about display quality and/or accuracy when compared to the BlackBerry browser.
    01-31-09 05:47 AM
    Bolt, IMO is not nearly ready for prime time. The beta is still very buggy. There are font issues, scrolling issues, and as Aristile says, it only works over WiFi or APN.

It is fast, no doubt. But the above issues, (poor rendering also) keep it from being my browser of choice. I wish the Bolt team had a forum for Beta users to discuss issues. I've email them with bugs I've found and just got a canned response that they'll get back to me in 24 hours. I'm still waiting 4 days later.
    01-31-09 08:57 AM
    Thanks Pete, that was my suspicion with Bolt but I was not sure that it only works with WiFI or through the APN settings. In my case I have no APN settings, so it only works via WiFi.
    01-31-09 09:01 AM
    How does it compare to Opera mini or the default bb browser?
    I have used opera mini in the past, but I prefer the default browser or Bolt. The beta is buggy as some have stated, but it allows me to see everything I need that I can't view with the default. As for the whole thing of it only working on wifi- all I can say is I'm on Verizon and my phone doesn't have wifi... Now if I'm missing something, I'd really like for someone to let me know what it is.

01-31-09 12:44 PM
    Alright figured it out and am smacking myself in the head. When you are in the BOLT browser, open menu and scroll down to wifi. Disable, now it won't look for wifi prior to loading. When I first launched on my 8900 I was on edge and it didn't read wifi. I guess its kinda the same as when you set the native browser to hotspot and try to hit a web page while on edge. Also explains why my buddy on his 8330 never had a problem (no wifi on that phone).

02-01-09 12:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD