View Poll Results: Am I crazy to change networks just to get UMA on my 8900 ???

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No - UMA is great and worth going for a UMA enabled 8900

14 60.87%
  • Yes - UMA is over rated - you might as well stick with your non UMA 8900

3 13.04%
  • Dont know but thanks for giving me an option to vote with!

6 26.09%
    Because I am on o2 network (UK) and they don't offer UMA functionality.

Luckily I am within my 14 day cooling off period. (pretty sure..)

I plan to go back to my battered old 8300 for one more month -

Then I am a free man!

And will get an 8900 on Orange.
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 01-30-09 at 09:27 AM.
    01-30-09 09:20 AM
    Noobie question, but what is UMA?
    01-30-09 09:32 AM
    i thought i would vote...so i picked option #3
    01-30-09 09:43 AM
    Noobie question, but what is UMA?
    UMA = Unregistered Mobile Access. It basically allows you to talk on the phone over the wifi. People typically use UMA for clearer call quality, and to save minutes since talking over wifi does not count towards your minutes on the phone plane.
    01-30-09 10:07 AM
    I do not have UMA but I think the feature sounds really nice to have. If you are in position to switch and it won't cost you anything additional to switch, breaking contract fees, etc. Then I would say go for it.

@FakePlasticTree - UMA allows you to make your calls and get your emails over a wireless network. Without UMA your WiFi connection will only connect to the Internet using the browser and you wills till need your EDGE connection to place calls and get your emails.
    01-30-09 10:19 AM
    Depending on the carrier, UMA is also a great option to save on roaming charges if you do international travel. I am on TMO USA, and they do not restrict where my Wi-Fi connection is happening. So if I am in Moscow or Rome I can hook up to Wi-Fi and make calls like I am back in the States. No roaming.
    01-30-09 10:27 AM
    UMA = Unregistered Mobile Access. It basically allows you to talk on the phone over the wifi. People typically use UMA for clearer call quality, and to save minutes since talking over wifi does not count towards your minutes on the phone plane.
    @FakePlasticTree - UMA allows you to make your calls and get your emails over a wireless network. Without UMA your WiFi connection will only connect to the Internet using the browser and you wills till need your EDGE connection to place calls and get your emails.
    Great, thanks for the explanation. Now, do I need to do anything extra to set that up? On my phone right now it says UMA and the wi-fi logo below it (I'm connected to my network at work). If I make a call now will it automatically use UMA so it doesn't count against my minutes?
    01-30-09 10:39 AM
    Generic Access Network - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Unlicensed Mobile Access
    01-30-09 10:44 AM
    Because I am on o2 network (UK) and they don't offer UMA functionality.

Luckily I am within my 14 day cooling off period. (pretty sure..)

I plan to go back to my battered old 8300 for one more month -

Then I am a free man!

And will get an 8900 on Orange.

Good call. UMA is worth waiting a month for..
    01-30-09 10:47 AM
    Whew! Snd I thought some crackberrier was cracked out and giving up on the 8900!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 11:00 AM
    Great, thanks for the explanation. Now, do I need to do anything extra to set that up? On my phone right now it says UMA and the wi-fi logo below it (I'm connected to my network at work). If I make a call now will it automatically use UMA so it doesn't count against my minutes?
    Check out the WiFi guide in my signature to make sure you get it all setup correctly.

On top of that if you want to ensure the UMA is priority then go into your
    Manage Connections > Mobile Network Options > Connection Preference = WiFi Preferred
    01-30-09 11:08 AM
    Whew! Snd I thought some crackberrier was cracked out and giving up on the 8900!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Ha no fear of that!

Mmmm! Bring pie! Bring Crackberry!

Pie good, Crackberry better
    01-30-09 11:32 AM
    Good call. UMA is worth waiting a month for..
    Rock on! Actually I get it in 4 days time!

I think the tweak to the price plan is worth the move too..

so its GROUNDHOG DAY - again.. with the 8900 configuration work!

Configuration - TAKE II - and ........action!

SHEESH! Its a good thing I am a crackberry addict!

(wife is going to kill me... again)
    Last edited by Casper TFG; 01-30-09 at 11:40 AM.
    01-30-09 11:35 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD