I haven't seen much news on it so I thought i'd make a post. Verizon is already informing it's employee's that they will begin upgrading their network to 4g this year with large roll-outs beginning in 2010. This isn't another fabricated story from another "employee", there are a few sites reporting: (Or search Google for "Verizon 4g")

[I can't post URLs since I don't have 10 posts, so search google.]

What interests me is the "open" network. My speculation is that you will be able to connect any device equipped to the network. Kinda like massive WiFi coverage, possibly deeming WiFi a thing of the past. (Like VHS) Thats just my speculation based on what i've read. Also despite what some sites are reporting, I highly doubt that Verizon's technology is going to be compatible with AT&T's 4g network plans. Yet again, Verizon is ahead of the curb. (Keep in mind they were the first to roll-out 3g in the US)

Suck it Apple fan boys, yet another reason we don't need WiFi.
    01-30-09 01:32 AM
    extremely unlikely of compatible networks. ultimately I think it'll still come down to cdma vs gsm.
    01-30-09 01:43 AM
    So would 4G be EVDO Rev B or LTE?

edit:
    oooooooooooooooooooooooooh my 100th post!!!!!!
    1-30-09
    01-30-09 01:54 AM

edit:
    1-30-09
    Verizon will be using LTE.
    01-30-09 02:06 AM
    "EVDO Rev B" is a step below LTE, if you search "Evolution-Data Optimized" in wikipedia it gives an explanation of both Rev B, LTE and ones before it. i found it helpful
    01-30-09 02:32 AM
    *sigh* sounds like RIM better release a Storm 2 soon then
    01-30-09 02:35 AM
    Interesting Wikipedia articles. If (when) VZW goes to LTE would the system require new handsets?
    01-30-09 09:44 AM
    Post the link w/ spaces.
    01-30-09 09:47 AM
    Forgive me for the question, I'm a newbie here. But if they did go to 4G, will all the prior phones work on 4G? Will the newer phones in the future with 4G capability work better than the older phones that were sold before 4G?
    01-30-09 09:51 AM
    I've never used WiFi on a smartphone before - is it just as fast as on my broadband connection at home? People say 3G is almost as fast as WiFi, but I can't believe that would be true!
    01-30-09 09:52 AM
    Yes, the network will require new handsets. Chipset manufacturers are already working on CDMA/LTE dualband chipsets to help with the transition, but in 2010, VZW should start rolling out LTE, which will be the same technology that AT&T and T-Mobile will be moving too as well.... eventually. Sprint is the only moronic company going with WiMax, which I think will bite them in the **** yet again.
    01-30-09 09:53 AM
    *sigh* sounds like RIM better release a Storm 2 soon then
    Maybe they would fix the storm one to do what we want it to do....

But bring on 4G, can't wait to see those commercials about it...
    01-30-09 09:54 AM
    It will do more than bite them, it could be the end of them, with every one else going to LTE for 4G. LTE is a GSM tech, so, as said above, they are working on making dual band chips for CDMA and LTE. I am excited to see how far 4G is up and running when I get back from my little year long stay over seas
    01-30-09 09:58 AM
    This was reported back at the beginning of December by BGR. CX has also stated that LTE will do away with most of the carrier wars that surround the CDMA vs GSM markets today because all the carriers ae moving to it (except Sprint according to Civic)
    01-30-09 10:04 AM
    Sprint is a horrible provider anyway, on topic though, I hope they come out with 4G soon.
    01-30-09 10:13 AM
    What interests me is the "open" network. Also despite what some sites are reporting, I highly doubt that Verizon's technology is going to be compatible with AT&T's 4g network plans. Yet again, Verizon is ahead of the curb. (Keep in mind they were the first to roll-out 3g in the US)
    extremely unlikely of compatible networks. ultimately I think it'll still come down to cdma vs gsm.
    actually they will be compatible networks since LTE is the next evolution in GSM/UMTS 3GGP family (at&t network). Its just happens that Verizon happens to be upgrading/switching to it first. confusing, I know.. but a great business move.
    What other sites are reporting is correct, the 2 main reasons why verizon and telus/bell in canada are upgrading to LTE is that its obviously better technology and since it will be compatible with GSM devices they can now get a chunk of the massive roaming revenue that they couldnt tap into before. one of the reason why telus and bell are also in a rush for the switch, so they can tap into roaming revenue in next years winter olympics in Vancouver.

''Yet again, Verizon is ahead of the curb. (Keep in mind they were the first to roll-out 3g in the US)''

Now verizon will be ahead of the curb but keep in mind that they were not the first to have true 3G, in fact they still dont have what the rest of the world considers 3G. Thats why its called EVDO/x1. You dont have voice/data at the same time, and the network is not capable of data speed as high as a HSPA 3G network.
    Did you ever see verizon/telus/bell advertising their network in the past few years as 3G? ...No...even though it hasnt changed..... they just started recently because of the hype which was being built upon at&t 3G network.
    And since EVDO x1 is technically 3G of that technology they are allowed too.... even though they are tricking people into thinking its the same thing.
    01-30-09 10:42 AM
    Hopefully some handsets will still come with wifi access because in some places (work) I don't get good coverage.

EDIT: That's an excellent post above me. Thanks dubai_bb.
    Last edited by gnr-met; 01-30-09 at 10:46 AM.
    01-30-09 10:43 AM
    hmmm. so thats why the storm in america doesnt have wifi
    01-30-09 10:47 AM
    Hopefully some handsets will still come with wifi access because in some places (work) I don't get good coverage.

EDIT: That's an excellent post above me. Thanks dubai_bb.
    No problem....//

Dont worry, manufacturers will still be including wifi for a while. At the end of the day you cant have data coverage everywhere, and they know this.
    But as for verizon being greedy and not permitting it on their handsets.... your on your own.
    01-30-09 10:50 AM
    hmmm. so thats why the storm in america doesnt have wifi
    No, they dont have wifi because verizon is greedy and didnt want you to have it.
    01-30-09 10:51 AM

edit:
    1-30-09

Pink Socked Ya - Gotta love Lil' Jimmy
    01-30-09 10:53 AM
    ...but will it blend?
    01-30-09 11:24 AM
    No, they dont have wifi because verizon is greedy and didnt want you to have it.

According to what I've read, its because there's no room inside the Storm for the hardware... nothing more. Do any other Verizon handsets have WiFi?
    01-30-09 11:27 AM
    looks like I will be upgrading next year
    01-30-09 11:34 AM
    Would "4G" automatically work on my Storm 9530 whenever they change to it?
    01-30-09 11:39 AM
88 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD