I installed .90 last nite and everything went well. Took the phone off the charger this AM and went to work. The speed appeared a little better but I also noticed the following:

The key pad in portrait had strange characters on my first phone call but then it went to normal on subsequent calls; When playing music, it would reboot itself after about 60 seconds or less of the song, and the biggest thing......used the entire battery in in a single day.

That was all I needed to see. Just did a successful downgrade back to .75
    01-27-09 08:32 PM
    My battery performance is better on .90 for what it's worth.
    01-27-09 11:31 PM
    I too downgraded back to .75 from .90. My battery life is fine on .75 and all .90 did is bring issues such as the camera which was easily worked around, random freezes while browsing and playing word mole, my keys would change to weird symbols as well such as the zero turning to a cross, and a lot of battery pulls while .75 hasn't caused me anything other than a slow camera.
    01-27-09 11:45 PM
    I installed .90 last nite and everything went well. Took the phone off the charger this AM and went to work. The speed appeared a little better but I also noticed the following:

The key pad in portrait had strange characters on my first phone call but then it went to normal on subsequent calls; When playing music, it would reboot itself after about 60 seconds or less of the song, and the biggest thing......used the entire battery in in a single day.

That was all I needed to see. Just did a successful downgrade back to .75
    The exact same thing happened to me. I'm going to give it another day. For about an hour it kept resetting when I was listening to music, I got the media card inserted alert then verizon freeze screen and had to do a couple of battery pulls. It's been fine since then, but I haven't tried listening to music again. I like the speed of .90 but if it does this again tomorrow, i'm going to have to go back.

I have gone through the whole battery in one day, but I have used it a lot today. However, at one point I noticed the screen was not fading to dark when inactive. I did a pull and it's back to fading as normal now.

My app memory has been lower since installing .90. But I did install mobipocket right after installing so that could be part of the problem. I can't get above 27 mb, but I could get up to the low 40s before. It's still working faster now so I don't know if the difference is slowing me down or not.

I also have a hard time switching to suretype sometimes. It's listed on the menu list but when I select it, nothing happens. And the web browser seems to hang most of the time.
    01-27-09 11:47 PM
    I also had the problem where the screen would not fade while inactive and I also had problems with the phone not unlocking sometimes.
    01-27-09 11:50 PM
    I also had major issues with the battery, so I went back to .75
    01-28-09 01:52 PM
    What if I been trying to downgrade but it shows me the .75 in the desktom manager? but then tells me that no software available? Please does anyone have any pointers for a newbie?
    01-29-09 04:48 PM
    Went back to .76. Still official, bug free and faster than .75.
    01-29-09 04:50 PM
    how do you downgrade back?
    01-29-09 04:57 PM
    I'm sorry, but I don't think the OS is causing the battery drain. I guess it could, but I had a drain on mine, screen not turning off and I would bet money it was a program I had installed. Once I deleted the program I no longer had the problem. I'm not trying to advocate for .90 because I have it on my phone, but I installed it and slowly started putting programs on. As I did, I could tell the programs aren't responding the way they should and thereby causing issues.

Has anyone run .90 on their phone for a few days or even a week with NOTHING installed? I also concede that with the varying differences people have with each OS that with JUST .90 on the phone someone could have problems. However, I would bet most cases of .90 being problematic are related to 3rd party software. Just my opinion though.
    01-29-09 05:01 PM
    I have a comparison thread of 2 storms. Both are running .90 with the same setting and same programs. One storm goes through a battery in 10 hours completley dead while the other after ten hours is at 80%. So in my testing the operating system for one reason or another effects the battery on some phones but not others
    01-29-09 05:38 PM
    My battery performance is better on .90 for what it's worth.
    i have to disagree, .90 was the worst ive seen, i also went back to the .75, not as bad memory leaks and battery is ten times better
    01-29-09 06:47 PM
    so i got my storm last week from verizon with .75 installed. started reading all the forums and such to see whats out there. i decided to upgrade to .90. followed all the instructions on how to do it properly and pretty much belive i did. for the first day or two the phone was great, faster being the biggest difference. ( and i liked the full qwerty in portrait mode). then the nightmare started. first DM not displaying info on my phone from application loader. secondly roxio media wouldnt install at all.(ok thats a pc issue but im not the only one with that).i figured out to use the usb mass media so roxio really isnt needed.major probs encountered were constant restarts, constant freezeups,constant battery pulls( and yes i mean constant, like 4 times a day on the less end). one example is my music on the phone,on a fresh battery pull and restart the phone would showw all my music . after using the phone for a little while ,whether it be making calls or just screwing around i would go back to my music and all of a sudden all my songs are gone. ( i should say it went from 596 songs to 117, and this happened alot).i checked my memory and it showed my 8gb card was being recognized but only some of the things were actually showing on the phone. weird. again phone became very sluggish and non responsive.battery pull. fixes temporarily and then back to screwy again. finally last night my phone bricked up completely. i mean done. couldnt do anything with it. called somew friends and asked advice and all came back and said downgrade back to .75. was nervous about doing it but really had no choice. well i did do it and have to say phone is running as good as i guess it should run. no problems of major concern.(yes its slower but the stability makes up for speed) i guees the lesson i learned is just stick with the official releases and leave the over the top stuff for the tech geeks.( and i mean tech geeks in a positive way,kinna jealous of all of everyones knowledge but whatever). anyway thnx for this and other forums being around everyone here really seems like they wanna help and from my end i do appreciate it.
    01-29-09 11:52 PM
    i have to disagree, .90 was the worst ive seen, i also went back to the .75, not as bad memory leaks and battery is ten times better
    I think statements like this should always either begin or end with, "...on my phone..."

I'm sure I have made statements like this, but unfortunately, everyone will have varying issues. I would also add that not EVERY detail is provided when people are posting rants and raves, myself included. There are so many factors that can cause battery drain, reboots, Screens of Death, whatever they may be, and so forth. I can't doubt completely those who claim they installed an OS and swear they did it by the book and are having problems, but I have done like 6-7 wipes with JL_CMDR and probably 3 updates with an overwriting of the prevoius OS and have NEVER had any 523 errors or woken up with a blank screen or anything like that.

I'm running DM 4.7, OS .90 and using a machine that has Vista Ultimate 64-bit. Other details:

Sometimes use my company IBM T60 to do updates and on a BES
    Downloaded EVERY OS so far and have installed EVERY version so far, multiple times in some cases, but never because of "bricking" the phone or anything other than simply to test to see some things.

Upgraded from .65 (original OS) to .76, overwrite.
    Upgraded from .76 to .83, overwrite.
    Upgraded from .83 to .85, JL_CMDR.
    Upgraded from .85 to .86, JL_CMDR. (worst decision ever)
    Downgraded from .86 to .75, JL_CMDR.
    Upgraded from .75 to .90, overwrite. (best move ever)

I have installed at various times: Nav4All, Trapster, various launchers, Telnet Client, Gtalk, YM, AIM, GCalc, LogMaid, Quick Pull, Soft Reset, SunClock, TalkLock (or the other one, the ones that's FREE)

Whenever I do battery pulls now, I allow it to sit for about a minute. Not sure if this helps, but just something I do. But with all that, the worst I've had to deal with is an unresponsive phone, which is resolved with a battery pull. The longest I kept my phone on with a reset was a little over a week and the only reason I did that was because my memory level was at about 4MB (on .86). I went ABOUT a week on .90 without one, but ran the Telnet client I have installed and it started draining the battery like mad after that and holding the BB button did not let me see the applications that were running. Battery pull "fixed" it.

Anyways, my observation and I'd be interested to hear details from others regarding exactly what everyone does when upgrading or downgrading.
    01-30-09 09:59 AM
    I downgraded from .90 to .75 and love it!!!! It is so nice to have no problems whatsoever. I liked some things about .90, but I will be patient enough from this point forward to wait until I am certain an update is rock solid.
    01-30-09 11:08 AM
    I just gave up on .90 and downgraded back to .75 also. Too many reboots and vsod.
    01-30-09 05:13 PM
    after 2 successful weeks on .90 i got stuck in reboot loop and nuked my storm. now downgraded to .78 also.
    01-30-09 09:11 PM
    Downgrading my wife's storm back to .75.
    01-30-09 09:58 PM
    Downgrading as I post this. I had a few good days with .90, but kept geting the Media Inserted messege, and when I'd try to click on anything I got the vsod (I assume thats the Verizon logo).
    01-31-09 08:13 AM
    I dropped all the way back down to .75 as well. Yeah, it's a tad slower, but at least everything pretty much works.

Yesterday on .90, while on a business call, my phone rebooted when I was in mid-sentence. Buh-BYE .90!

Besides, it's nice to have bluetooth for movies/videos again.... it's been a while..
    01-31-09 12:32 PM
    How do I downgrade to .75 from .90? Its not working right now. I cannot find the download for .75 on crackberry.
    01-31-09 07:56 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD