Howdy all, new to the Forums, been wearing out the search button, this is my first post.

Got my Storm just a few weeks ago (ver .75 on a 9530), running it through it's paces. I have used a Dell Axim x51v for a few years now, this Storm is a great replacement. The Dell will now function mostly as my GPS, it had a great run.

Both the rigs I drive are noisy 4WDs so stereos don't sound very good no matter how loud I turn em up. I want to listen to my music through a headset and be able to use my phone. (Please don't start on legality issues.)

My problem is finding a headset with ear buds that fit my ears AND have a good mic.

I tried the one that came with the Storm and the foam ear buds just don't work for me. The mic was great, didn't pick up the engine noise from my daily driver which is quite loud as I said earlier. My test subject was very surprised to hear I was talking on a head set and driving.

I tried a wired body glove set from Radidiio Shackles, the ear pieces fit and sounded good but the mic was a genuine POS.

On to blue tooth experimentation, I tried out the Southwind SA505 (should be called the 404), crappy weak bluetooth connection and POS mic, buttons don't function to operate music player.

Next the Motorolla pendant type bluetooth reciever (S705), connection was very good, buttons (joystick) works great with the Storm music player, didn't care about the headset since I have a couple nice ones to plug into it. Nice to be able to use whatever headset I have on hand although it did come with one. FM radio built in is a nice feature. The mic, another POS. Failed the drive and talk test miserably. Worse than the Southwind. Sounds great with my Grado earphones connected, I was totally bummed when the mic turned out so bad.

Both the rigs I drive are noisy so the mic HAS to be good. Bluetooth is a great thing to have but I will pass on it if I find the right wired headset. Wifey is getting a little pissed about all the different headsets I'm going through. I am too, you would think somebody could build a set with a good mic. the factory supplied one worked great! Too bad those ear buds don't work for me.

I am very hesitant to buy a plain ol single ear headset cause I really want the stereo music/phone convenience.

I am seriously considering clipping the earphone part off after the mic that works so well and wiring in one of the headsets I like with it. I don't cherish the thought of trying to splice those hair thin wires. I bet I could screw that up real good.

Anybody using a stereo headset in a noisy environment with good results?
    01-27-09 12:43 AM
    Welcome to crackberry!
    01-27-09 12:48 AM
    Well, yesterday I plugged a non-mic headset in and made a couple of calls. With the headset plugged in and speaker phone selected I could hear very well but I had to speak into the handset. The person on the other end could hear me very well. This does not quite equal the convenience of a hands free setup but it worked.

I found for sale on the net a set of adapters that are designed to go on ear buds and make them more like the noise isolating types that fit into the ears. For $12 I'll give em a go on the one headset with the good mic. Maybe tha will finally do it for me. Worth a try.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    Last edited by SwaTh; 01-28-09 at 05:53 PM.
    01-28-09 09:31 AM
    motorola s9-hd
    01-28-09 03:26 PM
    motorola s9-hd
    Certainly was one of the units I considered, there were reviews that reported the mic was not so good in noisy environments. That is the big issue I am trying to address.
    01-28-09 05:54 PM
    I'm also looking for a good headphone set with mic. Anyone ever tried the Sony DR-BT20NX? I've not personally, I just came across it.

cheers,
    Grant
    01-30-09 04:42 AM
    theboom.com
    theBoom noise cancelling headset

thast all you need. check out their military stuff.

Pricy but worth every penny
    01-30-09 12:26 PM
    Hmm, just bought the Body Glove unit today, should have done a search beforehand (I couldn't stand the flimsy ones that came with my Bold...)

Scooterdog
    02-03-09 07:05 PM
    Hmm, just bought the Body Glove unit today, should have done a search beforehand (I couldn't stand the flimsy ones that came with my Bold...)

Scooterdog
    Just for fun search the net for "In Ear Monitor" IEM for short. You will find some very high dollar units that I can't afford (or choose not to), but they look really sweet. The ones from Shure are very nice. I just bought the Shure I2c-m off the auction site for $49.99 which I am hoping will server my purpose. Fair price considering they usually sell for $79 or so. I'll see if they are worth the price I paid.

I'm not happy with my music through the Bluetooth units so it looks like I will stick with corded (for music / phone use specifically).

Those Boom units ygthb mentioned look sweet. I want that technology built into a simpler (less expensive) headset. Who knows, maybe those will be the ones I eventually end up with. They really are exactly what I was looking for, just expensive. Of course, if I had not experimented on, hmm, let me see, 4 different units now I could have just bought the Booms. Well, not quite, I believe I'm at $150 total on my experimentation. Sheesh....

A couple sites to look at:

sleek-audio.com

pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Shure-SCL5-Dual-Driver-Sound-Isolating-Earphones?sku=270698

For now, I use a plain corded headset and hit the speaker phone button when chatting and that works quite well actually, I'll report back what I find on the Shure set, should get em Today! (wed).

Swath
    Last edited by SwaTh; 02-04-09 at 10:30 AM.
    02-04-09 09:51 AM
    I am using sony drcbt-15 (pendant), and shure e2c's. Never had a problem. With anything. Welcome to crackberry.

02-05-09 08:48 PM
    Hey, there are these great headfones that I use and they fit everyones ear and sound great.the skullcandy full metal jackets are kinda expensive but they are worth it 100%.just check for the ones with a mic..they are designed for bb's and iphones and they are METAL.they also come with memory foam tips that just blend into the size of your ear.best headfones ever IMO

02-05-09 09:43 PM
    The Shure I2c-m I got Wednesday work very well, best mic of the batch I have tried so far. Sound is excellent also as well as the fit.

Almost too good at their sound isolation job, takes a bit of getting used to. There is no button to answer or hang up the phone, nor a volume control but I don't really miss those functions.

When I just want the best sound out of this Storm I use a set of plain old wired headphones. I have the Grado SR60, it is excellent. Big and old looking but best sound I have found in a relatively low cost headphone.

So far the sound of most things are fine, I never really got around to being too critical of the sound. It is a good noise canceling mic that has been eluding me.

Like I said at the beginning of this response, these are the best so far. My big complaint if I were to get picky (which I am often) is that the cord is not great like some and the mic positioning has to be just right to work well. So I have to feel it and twist it to make sure it is pointed correctly for it to pick up the sound the best.

Anyway, I can use these for a while for my music/talking while driving setup.
    02-06-09 12:49 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD