So, here's the deal. I'm trying to see if there is any interest in a program that I'm working on. The premise is pretty simple, its a memory / battery viewer/manager. As of right now, It gives detailed memory usage such as ram/flash/code memory percentages with graphical representations, and then general battery information. I'm hoping to give a "task manager" sort of functionality that details memory usage per program for debugging memory leaks, etc. Anyways, I would really like to release it on this site and charge 1-2$ (just enough to buy signing keys from RIM after a few sales). But before I go through the trouble of finishing the program, I would like to see if there is any interest in it, or any comments on something that would make them want to purchase it.
    Anyways, thanks for the input
    ~King
    01-26-09 05:58 PM
    i think it would be awesome if you included a 3 day trial or something so we can check it out before we buy!
    01-26-09 05:59 PM
    I'm really looking to see if there is any interest first. I'll prolly release some screenshots tomorrow to give everyone a feel for how it will look. Thanks for the suggestion though, I'll definitely consider it.

Just a side note: The blackberry JDE is even buggier than the storm os No wonder our storms crash so much!
    01-26-09 06:05 PM
    If it looked like task manager so I could see how much memory each item is using and what program that each item belonged to. I'm in.

SidIrish
    01-26-09 06:09 PM
    I'd be interested in it. Would like a crap cleaner style program any thoughts?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-26-09 06:14 PM
    How about an app that plugs in to the bedside mode clock and displays the battery charging status while in the cradle!
    01-26-09 06:14 PM
    Sounds like something I'd spend a buck or two on... Three day trial period...

Thanks for your hard work ! I got some ideas for applications too...
    No CLUE how to go about doing anyting about it...
    01-26-09 06:17 PM
    How about an app that plugs in to the bedside mode clock and displays the battery charging status while in the cradle!
    Yes that would cool.

01-26-09 06:21 PM
    I'm interested...make my life much easier...I can't figure out where my memory is going!! :P
    01-26-09 06:21 PM
    Well, it seems I've hit a bit of a brick wall. There does not appear to be any reasonable way to get the memory statistics per program in the api, and because BB runs on java, its very difficult (impossible?) for me to manually access and count the memory used in the virtual machine. As of now, I simply have a more detailed overview of how the total memory is being used (see screenshot - note: screenshot was taken in a VM, so the memory in pic does not reflect real BBStorm usage). So, I was thinking that I would release the program (in its beta state) as a kindof preview if there is interest.

Oh, and thanks for the comments so far, I'm looking into some of the suggestions

~King
    01-27-09 03:35 PM
    Cool - it would be great if the program had a link button to the Event Log (so that it could be cleared) and also a button to go to the memory cleaner.
    01-27-09 03:38 PM
    I love the idea, and I Love the 1-2$ price point. I would buy a copy for sure.
    01-27-09 03:48 PM
    I'm in. The link to Memory Cleaner would be a must.
    01-27-09 03:58 PM
    mdude... That's very easy for me to do... but requires me to buy RIM signing keys - therefore I would have to charge enough ($0.99 per?) to cover that and make sure that there is sufficient interest. Thanks for the comments.
    01-27-09 04:05 PM
    Looks pretty useful. I'd definitely use it on a day to day basis.
    01-27-09 04:20 PM
    I'm in. The link to Memory Cleaner would be a must.
    The Memory Cleaner in Security screen doesn't do what you think it does. I wish more people would understand that. It's a security scrubber of cached info... nothing more.
    01-27-09 04:25 PM
    Beta Testing:
    I've decided to go ahead and start a small beta test on different storms and OS's to check for compatibility. I'm looking for roughly 5-10 people with interest in this program. So if you would like to participate, PM me on this forum with the following info:
    Storm model number: (ex. 9530, 9520, 9500)
    Storm OS (ex. .75, .76, .85, .86, .90)
    And a small note as to functionality that you are looking for in the program. Also if you have coding experience and would like to contribute to the project.
    I'll then send testers the .alx and .jad files to install the program with BBManager.

I also plan to provide beta testers with a free copy of the finished version once it is completed as an incentive to help out . I would like to get some good feedback on things that I could change/fix to make this a worthwhile effort and a useful tool.
    ~King
    01-27-09 04:43 PM
    Sent you a PM
    01-27-09 04:58 PM
    PM'd you. thanks
    01-27-09 05:08 PM
    Well, it seems I've hit a bit of a brick wall. There does not appear to be any reasonable way to get the memory statistics per program in the api, and because BB runs on java, its very difficult (impossible?) for me to manually access and count the memory used in the virtual machine. As of now, I simply have a more detailed overview of how the total memory is being used (see screenshot - note: screenshot was taken in a VM, so the memory in pic does not reflect real BBStorm usage). So, I was thinking that I would release the program (in its beta state) as a kindof preview if there is interest.

Oh, and thanks for the comments so far, I'm looking into some of the suggestions

~King
    looks promising, I'm in!
    01-27-09 05:09 PM
    I would definitely be interested in beta testing for you.
    01-27-09 05:28 PM
    Interested...just sent a pm.
    01-27-09 05:53 PM
    I'm running .9x can you PM me as I'm mobile right now. Thanks

01-27-09 05:55 PM
    interested. good work
    01-27-09 06:32 PM
    I'm mobile also but would be interested in beta testing. Send me a pm or on bbm my pin should be in my avatar.

01-27-09 06:55 PM
109 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD