Well I know most of you have been using the new OS and most of you have your opinons on it which came very useful for my descion to dl and see how it would work for me.

So far its been working pretty good, of course there is some reboot issues and some lagging when after charging it and starting it up I get the Verizon lag which is no biggie.

The Media section still needs to be fixed, but you can obviously still listen to your music and view your pics, etc...but I read posts about the camera not saving, and of course I got that myself, actually sometimes I would take a pic and the cam would focus and go through the steps of taking a pic but never did, after a reboot it actually would work and save, but video and voice notes still dont, save I should say.

The lock screen, ok I do enjoy the new layout they have, before it was (Unlock, Emergency Call, Cancel) and my fat fingers would always hit the unlock AND emergency call button at the same time and had to feel like an tool telling the operator "Sorry my bad", so now the layout is (Unlock, Cancel and Emergency Call at the bottom), which is so much better!

I got a couple of reboots while listening to music, and I got maybe like 5 freezes in a course of three days BUT if you out weight the positives with the negatives then these reboots are a hassle but not really a result of you chucking your phone into the wall. The phone seems to be working very fast and no more issues with auto text BIG PLUS!

FULL QWERTY KEYBOARD IN POTRAIT MODE! Now everyone knows about this obviously, but I was so freakin happy about this, I am so used to using multi tapping, but after trying this with an email i found myself typing way much faster with the qwerty in potrait mode! =)

I dont see anything new as icons or folders in the menu except the Phone Icon, well I knew this was always there and maybe some would benifit from it, I dont seeing its just your call list, but nevertheless it comes in handy at times =) , but the font seems to be a little bit bigger which I dont mind at all.

Texting (SMS, MMS) seems the same no differences for me.

The screen switches between potrait and landscape very quickly now, before it would kinda lag (for me anyways), but it seems to be going faster now!

Obviously you guys are more detailed and have more input into this new update, but I think for anyone who is still new to blackberrys like myself =) I would explain some of the features and how it effected me.

Please note tho, if you have your phone the way you want it and everything is working fine for you and your not complaing with your current official update then maybe you should think twice about updating it until verizon gets a new official update out. I dont really use my video cam option and the voice mail option and sometimes I use my camera, but not everyday. But if you use it specifically for those reasons then DONT UPDATE!!

Ok well cheers! =)
    Last edited by queequeeg78; 01-26-09 at 02:22 PM.
    01-26-09 02:18 PM
    /agree 100%
    01-26-09 02:41 PM
    Does anyone have any idea when VZW will release the new OS??
    01-26-09 02:44 PM
    You'll be switching back to SureType in portrait once you realize that having QWERTY on messes up the keypad in the Phone app while on a call (messed up characters on the buttons... i.e. you can't check your voicemail).
    01-26-09 02:50 PM
    So far i like .90 What i don't like is the battery.... My phone was fully charged this morning i did maybe 6 txt message and 2 less than 1 min phone calls.. at 4 pm my battery is at 70% it was in the case "sleeping" the whole day.. Hate to see it if i was actually on it all day.
    01-26-09 03:04 PM
    as a fellow noob, my sentiments exactly.
    01-26-09 03:49 PM
    So far i like .90 What i don't like is the battery.... My phone was fully charged this morning i did maybe 6 txt message and 2 less than 1 min phone calls.. at 4 pm my battery is at 70% it was in the case "sleeping" the whole day.. Hate to see it if i was actually on it all day.
    70%...thats not bad at all!! My phone was fully charged and completely drained within 5 hours. Recharged, dead again within 4. not to mention that i would try to listen to music and each time, my phone restarted ten seconds into the first song.

Downgraded to .86 and havent had to recharge my battery since Friday night. .90 is the worst OS so far to be released. And QWERTY in portrait mode? give me a break. The worst idea ever. could they make the keys any smaller??? Suretype in portrait mode is FAR more accurate.

I'm not even sure I will upgrade to a new OS until VZ officially releases it. Upgrading, downgrading...drives me nuts. Especially since i have to reenter all the damn activation codes for everything.

.90 -----WORST OS EVER for the storm
    01-26-09 03:55 PM
    I went from .75 to .85 to .86. to .90 without wiping my system. I was having a lot of issues with .90 (camera wouldn't save, light would stay on and needed to pull battery, low memory around 35-39.). Then I finally decided to do a wipe today and reloaded .90. Completely night and day. Memory is back up to 57-58mb. Camera is working perfectly. backlight doesn't stay on anymore. Completely love .90.
    01-26-09 04:46 PM
    Downloaded 90 last week and have had zero issues. My battery life is better than it was with .75! I have not tried any of the other versions and DL'd .90 over the top of the .75 and everything went prefect. I am pleased with .90 and will wait to see what comes out in the future.
    01-26-09 04:48 PM
    As far as the battery is concerned I do agree that it does drain the battery out but I thought it was due to my over use of text messaging and listening to my mp3's but I guess what it comes down to is that its a beta version of the upgrade so just as it says it shouldnt be the be all and end all of the fixes, I mean I do believe we will probably have another 20000 leaks of an upgrade til VZW finally releases a Official one, but I guess it depends on what you use your blackberry to decide what OS you should use.
    01-26-09 05:26 PM
    You'll be switching back to SureType in portrait once you realize that having QWERTY on messes up the keypad in the Phone app while on a call (messed up characters on the buttons... i.e. you can't check your voicemail).
    I noticed that I got that weird keyboard too. But as I kept using the phone without messing with the settings, it went back to normal. Right now, I still use the full qwerty in portrait and my keypad is fine when on a call.
    01-26-09 06:58 PM
    Does anyone have any idea when VZW will release the new OS??
    No, anyone who has thrown out dates or said that VZW reps have hinted it will be soon is pure speculation at this point. Your guess would be about as good as anyone elses guess.

On topic, I think .90 is the best leaked build thus far. Outside the small quirk in the camera, it's a solid build for me. I did have the random reboot issue for a few days, but it hasn't happened in almost 3 days and I was using my storm a lot yesterday and today. Also, I noticed since my last battery charge that my battery is performing very well. After almost two full days of messing with my storm, I'm only down to 60%.
    01-26-09 07:09 PM
    I put .90 on mine and i'm have the issue where the camera doesn't save the picks into memory and the back light isn't staying on ether. For the back light issue I waited until it came back on and had the screen/keyboard section in the options open and saved the settings while it was on and now its seems to work ok now. Other than those two issues the performance of the device is a whole lot better.
    01-27-09 12:31 PM
    Please forgive the ingnorance. I have the .85 build on VERIZON currently and would like to try the .90 build. I have installed the .75 build on top of the original and then the .85 build on to pof that. How do I perform a system wipe with the intention to install the .90 build as a clean install? How will this affect my downloaded applications like epocrates, etc? Thanks!!
    01-31-09 05:16 PM
    Hi surfoutlaw and welcome to the forums...A search or a quick check of the stickies would have given you the answer as far as the wipe. Heres a link to it. Its always a good idea to back up your applications with BB Device Manager just in case something goes wrong with the upgrade.

http://forums.crackberry.com/f3/how-...l_cmder-53502/

Please forgive the ingnorance. I have the .85 build on VERIZON currently and would like to try the .90 build. I have installed the .75 build on top of the original and then the .85 build on to pof that. How do I perform a system wipe with the intention to install the .90 build as a clean install? How will this affect my downloaded applications like epocrates, etc? Thanks!!
    01-31-09 05:32 PM
    I haven't had too many problems with .90. The Storm has been my first BlackBerry (switched from iPhone), so I compare them a lot. The full QWERTY keyboard in portrait mode is nice, I am used to it from the iPhone, but has anyone else noticed that the !123 key isn't exactly perfect? On my storm the ! and the 3 are outside of the lines for the button. Purely a cosmetic flaw, but I was just wondering if anyone else had noticed.
    01-31-09 05:42 PM
    I went to .90.. for about a week.. then had some problems come up.. lots of crashes.. went back to .75 for a couple days.. I couldn't stand how slow it is.. I upgraded my and my girlfriends storm to .90.. we've had minimal problems since.. it seems to me I have the most problems after I wake up and its been charging all night.. my biggest notice is when i wake up, roll over, and check my email.. I can't multi-select > delete.. when I do this, it only deletes one message even if I have all selected.

Whenever you do a multi select in messages, a blue icon comes up in the bottom right. "Cancel selection".. when my phone is doing what I say, that icon never comes up.. the down arrow remains.. a reboot fixes it.

I know it doesn't make sense, but if I don't use my magnetic case, 90% of my issues are non existant with .90.. so I can only assume that whatever sleep mode gets activated by the case, is messing me up. I've gone 2 days now w/o my case and things are working great.. I do a battery pull usually when I wake up.. the rest of the day its solid.

Woke up at 7am today.. used the phone for about 1.5 hours, plus some browsing and texting. it's now 7pm, 12 hours later, and i'm at 65% battery.. that's perfectly acceptable to me.

I can't wait for a new leak, though.
    01-31-09 05:59 PM
    I loaded this OS on the advice from a rep at the Verizon store. They had loaded it on one of the display phones.

At first, I was so disappointed that I had done it. I kept having to remove the battery and restart my phone because it would totally freeze up. I have been reading the posts for the past couple of days and just really wonder if it doesn't just take time for the OS to settle into the phone. I say this because now my phone is working great and I really am not having any more issues. The camera saves pictures as long as I start it by pressing the button on the side of the phone to start it. Video saves fine, texting is fine. I keep waiting for something to go wrong and for the past 3 days I haven't even had to reboot the phone at all.

I think the OS has a mind of it's own!
    01-31-09 06:03 PM
    adding to my previous post.. not 20 minutes after I compliment .90... I start getting the flashing red led of doom.. phone operates fine but I keep getting blinking..

no, it's not the weatherbug.. alerts are off.. nothing abnormal is running.. no unreads.. nothing.. doing bat pull to see if it fixes.. my theory is maybe its the battery being low, even though it 'shows' 60% plus, maybe it's not.. but you'd think if the os was reading it wrong, it wouldn't report on it as being low :P.. who knows... annoying.. fine afer a batt pull btw
    01-31-09 06:27 PM
    Thank you, will give it a try.
    01-31-09 08:09 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD