I hope this doesn't violate forum rules; if so I exoect I will receive a gentle rebuke.

As many are aware, you can unlock your Blackberry without paying anything. The process involves googling, looking at cached pages, downloading suspicious files, and wiping out everything on your berry. It works! And I highly recomment AGAINST it. My phone was seriously bricked by the process for several hours, and during that time I spent considerable time thinking how I would expalin this to the store and/or my wife when I pay another 600 dollars for a non-contract phone. In my rush to follow the directions, I neglected to read the 20 pages of comments, many from people whose phones no longer worked. The only positive note is that my phone seems to work better with a fresh reload of the OS.

Please don't ask me for links to do this procedure; I don't want anyone to have the problems I had.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-23-09 08:07 AM
    How did you unbrick it?

BTW if looks like you're with ATT, why didn't you just get the unlock code from them?
    01-23-09 09:16 AM
    ^^^^AT&T is not unlocking bolds for certain reasons anymore and to "unbrick" it all you do is follow the guide that is in the blackberry 101 and reload the os
    01-23-09 09:28 AM
    As an FYI....

In the strictest sense of the term, bricking must imply that software error has rendered the device completely unrecoverable without some hardware replacement. If a software or firmware change can be executed to fix the device, it's not a brick.

Yes, it's my understanding that AT&T will unlock for free. Either after a set period of time, or if you explain you will be traveling overseas for a while and need to use another carrier while there.
    01-23-09 09:31 AM
    ^^^^AT&T is not unlocking bolds for certain reasons anymore and to "unbrick" it all you do is follow the guide that is in the blackberry 101 and reload the os
    This only applies to iPhones.

Answer Center | AT&T, formerly Cingular
    01-23-09 09:34 AM
    unlocked all my friends Bolds on my laptop without any problems, only some software error can brick it.
    01-23-09 09:36 AM
    This statement is untrue I am with AT&T and on Jan 17th i successfully unlocked my AT&T Bold getting the code from them with no hassels.
    01-23-09 09:38 AM
    Ya I know a few people as well that got unlock codes from att with no problems
    01-23-09 09:45 AM
    This only applies to iPhones.

Answer Center | AT&T, formerly Cingular
    Then I stand corrected, I was misinformed I do apologize
    01-23-09 09:53 AM
    I got it, hassle and question free. In fact, I told my boy to go get one and he called on his house phone (while on his bold with me) and he got it in 4-5 minutes. (2 minutes for the hold, 1 minute to verify and 1-2 minutes to get the code.)
    01-23-09 10:02 AM
    CharlieV, I think you are referring to the MFI. If so I agree. While I have used it (most times successfully) this is not a program the beginner or even novice user should mess with. It was leaked and shut down within 24hrs and for good reason. It was never intended to be in the hands of anyone outside of RIM.
    01-23-09 10:08 AM
    I got my unlocked by ATT right before I left them and it only took 20minutes and this was last week sometimes but I don't know who told u ATT won't unlock the Bold for you they did for me with no hassel..

01-23-09 10:11 AM
    people! pay attention to the terms being tossed around....

Charlie_V is referring to the DEBRANDING process. this is a rather complex process for most individuals. but it can be done. yes, you can very easily brick your phone if you don't know what you're doing. doesn't mean that the process doesn't work. many individuals have successfully debranded their AT&T phones to allow for mainly the ability to select 2G vs 3G. (DO NOT ask me where to find this info or how to do it.... join the club and learn how to Google)

UNLOCKING your phone is something that simply allows for non-native carrier SIM cards. yes, AT&T and many other carriers will provide this for free. yet, if you can't pull this off you can pay any one of the many unlocking services all over the web to do it.
    01-23-09 10:17 AM
    people! pay attention to the terms being tossed around....

Charlie_V is referring to the DEBRANDING process.
    I reread it twice, where did you get debranding from the OP's post? I think the rest of us read it just fine.
    01-23-09 10:28 AM
    He means that in the same process as unlocking it you can also debrand it if you choose. I'm considering trying it because I dont always have a 3G and my battery kills me. But I dont want to rick screwing up my bold.
    01-23-09 10:55 AM
    i did the same unlock and it worked perfect on 2 different bolds.... i trust it only because its a leaked program from rim
    01-23-09 11:06 AM
    which version of mfi loader do you have? I've noticed that their are two versions out there and I think i have the old one?
    01-23-09 11:17 AM
    I have a question myself. When one receives the unlock code from AT&T, how long is it valid?

For example, if I'm traveling overseas in March and come back to the US in June, will it be valid for the entire time?

Thanks in advance, CrackBerry!
    01-23-09 11:33 AM
    I got my unlock code from ATT for free, I simply emailed them with the info. IMEI, PIN, and personal info. The only restriction they had is that they needed a copy of the receipt proving that I paid full price for it. 5 mins after I sent the fax I had my unlock code.

01-23-09 11:33 AM
    Your unlock code never expires. It is hard coded into the firmware and it will never "lock" itself after the code has been put in.

01-23-09 11:34 AM
    Once unlocked, it's unlocked for good.
    I have a question myself. When one receives the unlock code from AT&T, how long is it valid?

For example, if I'm traveling overseas in March and come back to the US in June, will it be valid for the entire time?

Thanks in advance, CrackBerry!

Unlocking is permanent. Get and enter the code and it's forever unlocked.
    Thank you so much for the answers!

Another question (and I apologize if it becomes off-topic) but what are the pros and cons of having an unlocked phone?
    01-23-09 11:53 AM
    No cons. Pros: higher resale and true global use without paying your carrier their int'l rates.

01-23-09 11:55 AM
    Thank you so much for the answers!

Another question (and I apologize if it becomes off-topic) but what are the pros and cons of having an unlocked phone?
    None, unless you travel int'l or want to go to a different carrier.
    01-23-09 12:04 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD