Hello,

Im looking for an application which gives the possibilty to navigate like TomTom. I don't want it to use streaming maps tho, for example when I go outside my country I dont want it to use the internet.

Is there an application with local maps installed on the SD card? For example Garmin or Telenav? Couldn't really find if they were installed localy or based on some kind of streaming.

Thanks in advance
    01-23-09 07:27 AM
    There isn't on that I know of. Garmin mobile can use on board maps on some platforms but not on a Blackberry. I though I read that someone emailed them about the possibility of doing on device maps for Garmin mobile for Blackberry and they said there are no current plans to add that functionality.
    01-23-09 07:45 AM
    I agree with ScootD. They aren't planning on making it compatible with BBs.

As of now there is no comprehensive program that allows you to do that, however, there is a program called TrekBuddy. It's very confusing to use, but thats the only option as of now.
    01-23-09 08:19 AM
    I found some software, at: shop.wayfinder.com/download_center.php
    They have maps for Europe as well as the US. Im download a trial now and see how it works. Their site claims to have compitability with RIM's phones. Ill keep y'all updated!
    01-28-09 12:49 PM
    Might have to try that myself next time I need navigation.
    01-28-09 01:02 PM
    Just checked that website...it says BB's are compatible with "Wayfinder Navigator Online", not "Wayfinder Active." Active is the one with preloaded maps. Oh well.
    01-28-09 01:06 PM
    @ylexot
    wayfinder.com/?id=10773

There is a Map Preloader:
    "** Wayfinder MapLoader is currently compatible with all Sony Ericsson-, Windows Mobile-, BlackBerry- and Symbian-devices (UIQ and S60v3)."

As a user of Wayfinder Navigator™ online or Wayfinder Earth™ you can save money as data consumption costs are reduced significantly by pre-installing fresh maps. Moreover you can start navigating without first having to wait until the maps are downloaded to your phone.
    01-28-09 01:54 PM
    @ylexot
    wayfinder.com/?id=10773

There is a Map Preloader:
    Cool. So I guess this allows you to basically plot your route and preload the appropriate maps to the BB. That'll work.
    01-28-09 04:09 PM
    does the map preloader work? Were you able to get a map to download?
    02-09-09 10:28 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD