Has anyone experienced a large (Quick) memory leak since installing .90? Since I have installed .90 my memory is dropping like a brick, a battery pull restores it to just under 50 but within a couple of hours its down to 35. This has not happened to me in any previous OS
    01-22-09 10:17 PM
    Just curious. Do you have memory cleaning under options>security enabled? This is the OS which I have had the least leak with so far.
    01-22-09 10:20 PM
    You know, when you actually use your phone, you use the memory. That's not really a leak. I'd check what you're running and make sure you're closing out apps when you are done. I've personally been using .90 all day and my memory fluxuated between 31-43 megs, and never slowed down.
    01-22-09 10:24 PM
    I actually have higher memory than before. I start at around 50 at 8am and by 11pm I'm only down to 41 after heavy use. Not to mention my battery is still above 60%

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 10:25 PM
    You know, when you actually use your phone, you use the memory. That's not really a leak. I'd check what you're running and make sure you're closing out apps when you are done. I've personally been using .90 all day and my memory fluxuated between 31-43 megs, and never slowed down.
    a drop from 43 down to 31 is pretty substantial in my mind............
    01-22-09 10:26 PM
    I start at just over 50 and drop to about 35 after alot of use.
    01-22-09 10:30 PM
    It's only substantial if you're not running any apps, nothing is going in the background, and your phone is truly sitting there idle. If you're sending/receiving messages, have WeatherBug running in the background, and have a browser session open, then there's really no issue.

I can't understand the obsession with having most of your device's memory free at all times. When your memory is free it's wasted. Yes, you'll want some free so your device has plenty of room to quickly load data if you open an app or email/attachment, but otherwise you'll want the rest of that memory to be caching things for quick retrieval. The sign of a good OS is to fill most of the memory with items you access regularly, and to free that memory as you start accessing other less often used items so those can be cached.
    01-22-09 11:03 PM
    No memory leaks here on .90
    01-22-09 11:05 PM
    what apps do you have installed?
    01-22-09 11:10 PM
    what apps do you have installed?
    Not many.

Nintaii
    youtube launcher
    google maps
    opera
    quickpull

Not sure if you meant me Don, but if others are interested, anything for my fellow community members.

PS. visual voice mail and VZNav have been erased.
    01-22-09 11:17 PM
    tell me something, what does that mean? i mean, why is it bad to have 35 megs free as opposed to 50? does your phone run slower? because mine doesnt. is that missing 15 megs keeping you from installing every app you need?

i understand going from 50 down to 35 doesnt look good persay, everyone wants more. but really, what it comes down to is.. does this make an actual difference in your phone's performance, or are you just upset because you want bigger numbers?

a memory leak is when a program fails to release memory after using it, or goes into an infinite loop, constantly storing data and using up memory until well.. you dont have enough to operate your computer/bb/device without having to start cycling data. so unless its actually slowing down or hurting you, theres no real issue. its not like gas in a car that you have to re-fill. the memory is always there when you need it.
    01-22-09 11:17 PM
    I realize RIM had problems in the past with applications quitting and not properly releasing the memory that was allocated to them and therefor leaking.

are we sure this is actually a memory LEAK and not data or active memory space used by the operating system or applications installed?

I can see how a not running application could store data that wouldn't survive a reboot.

just because there's a couple less mb than a few hours ago doesn't mean it's a problem.

I'm on .90, as of noon. reboot gets me to 49.8mb free. I've used the phone a ton today and I'm at 32.0mb right now. yea, 17mb in 12 hours. I will NOT reboot the phone and we'll see where it goes. I'm sure it will stabilize.

yes, i'm sure there's some better memory cleaning that could be done by RIM and the 3rd party apps we have installed... I'm not disputing that. But the truth is almost nobody here knows exactly what's going on under the hood of the UI in this OS.

sorry, i'm just sick of everyone crying LEAK!
    01-22-09 11:19 PM
    I'm sick add tired of starting with 50 m. Of mem. After soft reset and end up a few hours later with 53. Man .90 really su_cks! Na .90 is running well for me so far.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-22-09 11:21 PM
    tell me something, what does that mean? i mean, why is it bad to have 35 megs free as opposed to 50? does your phone run slower? because mine doesnt. is that missing 15 megs keeping you from installing every app you need?

i understand going from 50 down to 35 doesnt look good persay, everyone wants more. but really, what it comes down to is.. does this make an actual difference in your phone's performance, or are you just upset because you want bigger numbers?

a memory leak is when a program fails to release memory after using it, or goes into an infinite loop, constantly storing data and using up memory until well.. you dont have enough to operate your computer/bb/device without having to start cycling data. so unless its actually slowing down or hurting you, theres no real issue. its not like gas in a car that you have to re-fill. the memory is always there when you need it.
    Amen brother. Amen.
    01-22-09 11:22 PM
    I wouldn't even call that a memory leak!

Anything above 30MB is excellent for the phone to be honest! And I have been averaging about 40MB!

A memory leak would be when its much lower.. like I had happen in .86 i believe, where I was lucky to get 20MB.. mostly averaging about 14MB.. now THAT WAS SLOW! and THAT was a memory leak!

You complaining because you are down to 35-40MB is silly... Right when you start the phone yeah you may have a lot more.. but once things start loading and you actually start using things, it will go down about 15 MB.. that is NORMAL!
    01-22-09 11:22 PM
    I start with 55MB and drop as low as 40MB which is acceptable for me. I clear any unwanted messages, delete the event log, and have memory cleaning active and I'll get back up to 50 MB or so without having to do a battery pull or use Quickpull. Can't ask for more. Running .90.
    01-22-09 11:23 PM
    When you start loosing texts, emails, and brickbreaker scores, you should be worried about a memory leak.
    01-22-09 11:25 PM
    Odd one here. I've been runing .86 since it hit, and my memory never dropped below right around 28-30ish. Not an issue to be at that level as far as I'm concerned.

I installed .90 this afternoon, around 5 hours ago. Just looked at my storm for the first time in about an hour...17.4 megs left.

45 to 18? in 5 hours? that seems weird to me. I didn't reset after installing, so I'm wondering if that might have been a contributing factor. (I didn't "need" to, and I wanted to see what would happen if I left it running rather than do a pull after the new OS install)

I'm resetting now, we'll see where it is in the a.m.

With .65/.75.85 and .86 I never dropped below 20. Installed:
    viigo
    vlingo
    quickpull
    xberry

edit: Holy schnikes. Full battery pull reset in under 5 minutes? It took about half the time it used to. Very cool. I lost my wallpaper though. I wonder if it's reading my memory card.

reedit: it was plugged into USB. oops. back now. quickest reset ever by a good 2 minutes though. Memory at 44.8.
    Last edited by graymulligan; 01-22-09 at 11:32 PM.
    01-22-09 11:30 PM
    how do you find out what your memory is
    01-22-09 11:32 PM
    I can't understand the obsession with having most of your device's memory free at all times. When your memory is free it's wasted. Yes, you'll want some free so your device has plenty of room to quickly load data if you open an app or email/attachment, but otherwise you'll want the rest of that memory to be caching things for quick retrieval. The sign of a good OS is to fill most of the memory with items you access regularly, and to free that memory as you start accessing other less often used items so those can be cached.
    Amen.

With a thread title proclaiming 'huge memory leaks', I came into this thread thinking there was an OS app causing crashes across the board. Talk about inaccurate; memory usage is not necessarily a leak, and more people need to realize that.

It just seems like it would makes more sense to, you know, just use the phone rather than constantly fretting over memory usage and performing multiple battery pulls in attempt to squeeze every last bit of memory -- only to have it drop after using the phone, and going through the whole process again.
    01-22-09 11:36 PM
    A question about the memory cleaning option

If you disable it, but keep the option to show the icon on the home screen, will it stay there so you can use it manually? I don't want it to automatically run in the background for battery purposes, but I want to have the icon on the home screen to use it whenever I want.
    Last edited by zerog6; 01-22-09 at 11:42 PM.
    01-22-09 11:38 PM
    yeah its ALWAYS good to do a batter pull/reset at least once if not even twice after installing a new OS.. ALWAYS... it makes a big difference and finalizes all the new settings you just made.. its good to reset.. re-apply all your settings to your likings that may have been reset.. re-setup all your apps. then reset phone again.. thatis what I always do..
    01-22-09 11:39 PM
    I know that with memory, numbers are numbers.....well I do believe that .90 is associated with increased memory leak. I went from 50 to 38mb in 15 min with NO use!!! Background apps browser, phone, messages, and home screen (default). Third party apps: StormLock, Opera Mini, AutoLock, CaptureIt, Tiltris, and VZ VVM. Upgraded to .90 from .76 with a JL wipe.
    01-23-09 12:25 AM
    misleading title
    01-23-09 01:19 AM
    Been using camera, video, music, picture, BBM, AIM, SMS and e-mail for over an hour and memory went from 48.8 to 45.3 then did a memory cleaner and went to 46.4mb
    01-23-09 01:28 AM
39 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD