Hey there,

I'm an avid user of Vlingo, as in California it's now illegal to talk AND text while driving (that's a good thing, IMO). So I use Vlingo, the great speech to text application that lets me reply to emails and make SMS's while on the go.

Has anybody tried it with the 8900? I get mine today, but want to know if it's compatible. The website doesn't offer the 8900 as an option since it's too new I guess.
    01-22-09 10:44 AM
    Is it free? It looks like you can download for free but then you might have to register after that? Not sure. It doesn't even have the 9000 or the 9500 listed there as a download option so it might not work with OS 4.6. You might have to be the guinea pig on this one!
    01-22-09 11:08 AM
    Hey there,

I'm an avid user of Vlingo, as in California it's now illegal to talk AND text while driving (that's a good thing, IMO). So I use Vlingo, the great speech to text application that lets me reply to emails and make SMS's while on the go.

Has anybody tried it with the 8900? I get mine today, but want to know if it's compatible. The website doesn't offer the 8900 as an option since it's too new I guess.

I wrote to them directly with the same question, please see their reply below:

Thank you for contacting vlingo. You�ll find our currently supported devices below, as well as a way to have us contact you when we add support for your device.

BlackBerry:
    At this time, vlingo runs on the 81xx series Pearl, the 83xx series Curve (except the 8350i with iDEN push-to-talk), and 88xx series World Edition devices. As we support new BlackBerry models, we will announce the support on our Web site.

Though we do not yet formally support the Storm (95xx series) Bold (90xx series), 8350i, or the Pearl Flip (8820), many users have reported that vlingo 2.0 runs successfully on these devices. While we can't promise that it will work for you, you can download it from vlingo. We plan to support these devices in an upcoming release.

Some people running unsupported devices have encountered a 'Can't Record' error during Step 4 of vlingo Setup. If you decide to try vlingo and encounter this problem, these steps should solve the problem:

1. From the BlackBerry Home screen, choose Options -> Advanced Options -> Applications.
    2. Scroll down to vlingo, press the Menu key, and select Edit Permissions.
    3. Scroll down to 'Record' and set it to 'Allow'.
    4. Click Menu -> Save.

iPhone:
    Vlingo is supported on the Apple iPhone and iPhone 3G. We�ve had a number of requests for the iPod Touch and are considering that for a future release.

Other devices:
    We're actively developing vlingo for several other phones and operating systems as well. As these become available, we will announce the support on our web site.

If you have a phone that we don�t currently support:
    If you'd like us to let you know when vlingo is available for your phone, you can leave us your contact information at Vlingo - Other Mobile Devices.

Best regards,
    Vlingo Support
    01-22-09 11:15 AM
    I'd just like to confirm that after setting the record option to allow, Vlingo works just fine on my 8900!

Burgaz
    01-22-09 11:26 AM
    I'd just like to confirm that after setting the record option to allow, Vlingo works just fine on my 8900!

Burgaz
    Thanks! And thanks to the poster who put up the reply from Vlingo.
    01-22-09 01:07 PM
    Well, I can't get Vlingo to download to my 8900. Anytime I go to the direct link for the .jad file, it says the download link is not correct or something. When I go to the link emailed or SMS'd to me, it shows the page but in HTML code, not the actual page, and nothing seems to work. Any ideas?
    01-22-09 04:06 PM
    False alarm, the page works fine now after a reset.
    01-22-09 04:27 PM
    Downloaded this on my 8900 today too..works ok. still trying to figure it out though.
    01-22-09 05:51 PM
    New user to Vlingo....but using this thread, it totally worked. fixed the "cannot record" issue. Thanks everyone.
    01-26-09 02:59 PM
    fixed the "cannot record" issue.
    How did you manage this?

I keep getting the message 'Cannot Record' and then my led stays on red, even after a battery pull
    01-26-09 03:34 PM
    scroll up and read the 3rd post. explains it all perfectly. I followed the directions and was using it in minutes.
    01-26-09 05:53 PM
    Thanks, but I tried all that and it still didn't work.

I think it's because I downloaded the UK beta version.
    Gonna try the full US version and see if that works.
    01-26-09 06:18 PM
    I got this up and running on my 8900, but the only problem I'm having is launching some apps such as BB Messenger. When I say "Open" or "Launch" or "Start" "Blackberry Messenger" nothing happens. Anyone else having this problem?

-AM
    01-27-09 12:38 AM
    i just put vlingo on my phone, seems to work as it supposed to. I tried the "Open Blackberry Messenger" and it worked out fine. i don't think you can send IM's using the voice command, which is too bad
    01-30-09 04:40 PM
    I downloaded the app
    and I got stuck in the setup part where you have to press the left convince key and repeat the phrase. So I'm waiting for them to update their website with sure fire support for the curve.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-30-09 05:32 PM
    False alarm, the page works fine now after a reset.

Hey am having that same problem too. What did you do to reset, or how did you do a reset? Help pls.
    02-23-09 08:44 AM
    For all of you that downloaded this for curve 8900... can you please confirm which option you chose when selecting the device as curve 8900 is not listed...
    02-24-09 09:46 AM
    To get Vlingo you can go to this page www.vlingo.com/getvlingo on your phone. You need to know what OS you are using.... 4.6 for the 8900
    02-24-09 10:02 AM
    Thanks ClintRo!!!

I'll download this when I get home tonight, if I have any problems I'll be sure to be in this forum again shortly.
    02-24-09 10:09 AM
    QUESTION! I know how to open Google Maps using Vlingo "Open Google Maps" but how do I find a store or an address near me using vlingo with Google maps?
    02-24-09 10:13 AM
    Hey Can you guys open Media with this? when ever i say open media.... it brings up the internet search for media.
    02-24-09 10:32 AM
    Vlingo only works over EDGE for me, but others have gotten it to work over wifi.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-24-09 11:36 AM
    Downloaded this now! It's brilliant!!!
    02-24-09 06:02 PM
    wow. best app ever. thanks for the rec!
    02-24-09 07:18 PM
    ViiGo is AWESOME! By far, the best free app!
    02-24-09 07:24 PM
49 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD