Ok I love my blackberry to death and my blackberry history consists of the 8830 world edition and now I have the 8330 curve for sprint. I want any sprint users of any other blackberry users to tell me if they have a problem of being able to send text messages while on a phone call.

I can get text messages no problem and sometimes I can send them back (possibly 25% of the time) but all the other times I get the pending clock which eventually turns into the red X indicating that the text didn't go through. This has happened with me with both the world edition and now with the curve. All the other phones that I have had treo 650, 700p, 700wx, mogul, 800w have all been able to send while on the phone.

So any others experiencing this??
    01-21-09 09:00 PM
    I think I've read that's how the blackberry OS works. You can't be on a call and send a text message at the same time. That's just how it is

If I'm wrong, someone please correct me...
    01-21-09 09:46 PM
    Works fine on my Alltel Curve. If it was an OS limitation (which it is not) then it probably wouldn't happen at all instead of the 25% of the time the OP experiences. Just my 2 pennies worth.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 10:25 PM
    I've got us cellular, and I can't send s txt message when on a call. Now, that is when I was running 4.3, I haven't tried it with 4.5 but I can't imagine that it would be any different. I've heard that's only a 3G thing, but I was able to do it with my old Razr which wasn't 3G

01-21-09 10:55 PM
    I have service with alltel and I can send text messages when I'm talkin on the phone. But things like the internet, pic msg, and bbm are unusable. Maybe that is a carrier problem??

01-22-09 10:56 AM
    I have Sprint new OS and I can send a text while on a call--- before then I wasn't about but now I can!
    01-22-09 11:26 AM
    Yes, you are supposed to be able to. It has to do with the strength of your connection while on the phone. To make sure you get the best connection possible, update to the latest OS for your phone and do a PRL update with your provider. Hope that helps!

01-22-09 01:00 PM
    You should be able to send texts without any trouble, though you won't be able to use internet or data (this is a limitation of CDMA technology, not the bb itself). Are you running 4.3 or 4.5?

01-22-09 01:18 PM
    I just started experiencing this tonight. I have Curve 8330 on Sprint, running 4.3.

Basically, I can only retrieve text messages while I'm on a phone call. I contacted Sprint's 'tech', they were useless. They had me go through the resets, etc. I have EV connectivity, can make and recieve calls, can SEND text messages...but like I said, my phone can only retrieive them while I'm on a call. Any insight is appreciated.
    01-23-09 11:18 PM
    Yes, you are supposed to be able to. It has to do with the strength of your connection while on the phone. To make sure you get the best connection possible, update to the latest OS for your phone and do a PRL update with your provider. Hope that helps!

I am running 4.5 on my sprint curve and have this issue. I figured its just something up with blackberrys that causes me to not be able to text while on the phone. If I attempt to resend after getting the red x it just happens again. Funny enoough that it does this until I end the phone call that I am on. But if i get on the phone again and try to send a text it allows me to for a couple texts until it does this again. Sprint users give it a try...I am really curious to know if this happens to any of you.
    01-23-09 11:38 PM
    I have a Sprint Curve and when I was running OS 4.5.0.97 there was only one time when I couldn't send texts while on a phone call. As soon as I ended the call the texts were either sent out, or I chose resend and they were sent. I've been running Sprint pre-release OS 4.5.0.119 for a week now and haven't run into this issue.

You definitely should be able to send texts out during a call. When is the last time you pulled your battery (performed a reboot) on your BlackBerry?
    01-24-09 12:52 AM
    Thats really weird. I have a 8310 Curve with AT&T and I always am able to send my texts threw. It may not be as quick when I'm not on the phone but it still gets threw. Thats weird though.
    01-24-09 12:59 AM
    I have a Sprint Curve and when I was running OS 4.5.0.97 there was only one time when I couldn't send texts while on a phone call. As soon as I ended the call the texts were either sent out, or I chose resend and they were sent. I've been running Sprint pre-release OS 4.5.0.119 for a week now and haven't run into this issue.

You definitely should be able to send texts out during a call. When is the last time you pulled your battery (performed a reboot) on your BlackBerry?
    Me too. I had that problem with v.4.3.0.127 and 4.5.0.97, but since I updated to .119, it hasn't happened once.

01-24-09 01:04 AM
    i have tmo and i have not been able to text while on a call. and i have upgraded.
    01-24-09 03:50 AM
    My T-Mobile blackberry can send and receive text while on the phone. No problem at all.! But I can not receive BBM messages, or emails
    01-24-09 04:11 AM
    Me too. I had that problem with v.4.3.0.127 and 4.5.0.97, but since I updated to .119, it hasn't happened once.

Omg now guys its starting to get to me that I'm hearing other people reporting that they don't have this problem. I assumed it a berry thing since it never happened to a ppc device I owned. It happened to me while running 4.3 and the prerelease .119. Battery pulls havent cured it either. It seems minor but...whatever still love my berry. Thanks for responses and glad to hear some people letting me know I'm not alone with this prob.

01-24-09 04:44 AM
    My T-Mobile blackberry can send and receive text while on the phone. No problem at all.! But I can not receive BBM messages, or emails
    This behavior is correct with CDMA (Sprint & Verizon) since CDMA only allows for phone calls and texts at the same time OR any data (BBM messages, email, IM, Internet browsing, GPS/Mapping apps, etc).

If you have GSM (which you do on T-Mobile) without 3G I believe the behavior is the same.
    01-24-09 12:27 PM
    I have a Sprint 8330 and I cannot send SMS while on a call. I am running V4.5.0.56
    01-24-09 12:48 PM
    It has to do with the strength of your connection while on the phone. To make sure you get the best connection possible, update to the latest OS for your phone and do a PRL update with your provider. Hope that helps!

I have US Cellular. As far as I know I have the latest OS and I just did a PRL a few days ago and it made no difference. I'm able to send one text while on a call, (witch obviously means the curve is capable of sending SMS while on a call) but all messages after that go into "pending" until I end the call. I should also mention that I have no less than 3 bars most of the time, but I don't see how that matters sense I can get a text through with only 1. Then again that not been when I'm on a call. I've only had my curve for a month and am still trying to figure out it's menus and such. How do I ensure I have the latest OS?

Thanks in advance for any help!
    05-24-09 08:27 PM
    I have TMO and I'm able to text while on the phone. I have OS 4.5. Sandra ")

05-24-09 11:03 PM
    I have no problem sending or receiving text messages while on the phone. In fact, my texts actually send faster while I'm on the phone.

05-24-09 11:36 PM
    does anyone know a solution to this yet??
    07-06-09 11:51 PM
    *BUMP*

Bumping This again. any solution yet, anyone?
    08-20-09 03:10 AM
    Ok I love my blackberry to death and my blackberry history consists of the 8830 world edition and now I have the 8330 curve for sprint. I want any sprint users of any other blackberry users to tell me if they have a problem of being able to send text messages while on a phone call.

I can get text messages no problem and sometimes I can send them back (possibly 25% of the time) but all the other times I get the pending clock which eventually turns into the red X indicating that the text didn't go through. This has happened with me with both the world edition and now with the curve. All the other phones that I have had treo 650, 700p, 700wx, mogul, 800w have all been able to send while on the phone.

So any others experiencing this??

I have a Verizon Blackberry Curve and I can send a text while on a call if I go into "Options" then go to "Mobile Network" and "Turn off Data Services", but you have to turn it back on to go on the web or get emails.
    Last edited by jenstimenow; 12-14-09 at 08:16 PM.
    12-14-09 08:13 PM
    I have a Verizon Blackberry Curve and I can send texts while I am on a call if I go to "Options" then go to "Mobile Network" then "turn off Data Services", but you havev it turn it back on to receive emails or go on the web
    12-14-09 08:15 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD