Hi, I noticed that my new 8900 says at the top corner when I'm home that I'm in UMA mode. So I read up on it, and learned that it is a wifi enabled VOIP type thing. So I called Rogers to ask them more about it (ie: can I make long distance calls over my own network and not pay for them). The rep at Rogers said, "no", you have to be signed up for "Talkspot".

However, I am a bit confused, because I went to my phone, and turned the Rogers Mobile Network off in the Connections Manager, and left the WIFI on. I then made a phone call, it worked, and it continued to say I was using UMA.

When I'm making calls in UMA (since aparently I can) am I using my airtime? If I were out of province or country in a wifi hotspot, couldn't I just turn my Mobile Network off and make free calls?

I'm just confused by the conflicting information Rogers is giving me over the phone.

Anyone who can shed light on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    01-21-09 07:23 PM
    I was told that rogers does not allow uma on their phones...

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-21-09 10:10 PM
    I'm also a new user, so I can't say for sure, but from what I've read, data usage on UMA doesn't count against your data plan. But regular calls on UMA count against your voice minutes, so it is basically just a signal booster if you're using it for calling (for example if you don't get cell reception in your basement).

With Talkspot there's a flat monthly fee but there are only two phones supported right now, a Pearl and a Nokia dumbphone.

You might be able to use a 3rd-party app like Skype or something similar, but I haven't really looked yet.
    01-21-09 10:39 PM
    I've been very confused as well with ROGERS and UMA. When I walk into my home or work my phone automatically switches to UMA, does this mean I am calling through my WiFi or through Rogers? If I am supposed to add a "talk spot" plan why does my phone connect with UMA? Or does it do this and Rogers has no control over it? Hope to hear back.
    01-28-09 02:41 PM
    I was told that rogers does not allow uma on their phones...

Rogers has UMA on selected phones.

I'm also a new user, so I can't say for sure, but from what I've read, data usage on UMA doesn't count against your data plan. But regular calls on UMA count against your voice minutes, so it is basically just a signal booster if you're using it for calling (for example if you don't get cell reception in your basement).

With Talkspot there's a flat monthly fee but there are only two phones supported right now, a Pearl and a Nokia dumbphone.

You might be able to use a 3rd-party app like Skype or something similar, but I haven't really looked yet.
    Lets start fresh. When you have WI-FI on and are using data on it it will NOT use your data bucket from Rogers. If you have WI-FI enabled and are making a call on UMA, your radio is still turned on and it WILL be using your minutes or you will be charged for long distance depending where you call IF you are not subscribed to TALKSPOT.

Rogers has at LEAST 6 device that have UMA, not two. The samsung t336, nokia 6086, blackberry 8900, blackberry 8120, blackberry 8820, blackberry 8320 and in probably a couple months the blackberry 9000r (software upgrade).

I've been very confused as well with ROGERS and UMA. When I walk into my home or work my phone automatically switches to UMA, does this mean I am calling through my WiFi or through Rogers? If I am supposed to add a "talk spot" plan why does my phone connect with UMA? Or does it do this and Rogers has no control over it? Hope to hear back.
    It says that because you setup your phone to connect to the wifi. If you dont have TALKSPOT and it says UMA on your phone you will be charged no mattter what unless you subscribe to TALKSPOT. So it means your being charged for those calls.
    Last edited by pablotoofresh; 01-28-09 at 06:48 PM.
    01-28-09 03:36 PM
    TalkSpot is Roger's UMA Service. UMA increases your voice quality when there are less cell signals reaching you (in your basement, for example). It is also used in long distance and oversea situations to reduce call costs.

Rogers has two TalkSpot plans: $15/mo for Unlimited Local or $20/mo for Unlimited Local & Long Distance; both while on UMA (Wi-Fi). This works around the world I believe. So if you are in Asia you can hook onto Wi-Fi and make local calls back home for free.

Once I move out and have my own house/apartment I will be switching my services to Rogers so I can get UMA and not have a need for a landline. Cheaper, too.

~Bcloutier~
    01-28-09 09:55 PM
    Just talked to someone with Rogers and they claim that I don't need to add anything to my plan and whenever my phone is using WiFi or "UMA" at home or my office I will not be charged. Rogers has designated places throughout the city, he listed several coffee shops and other places and explained that if you sign up for "talkspot" it will automatically connect with WiFi in the places he listed as they are all secured networks. He assured me I do not need "talkspot" when I am calling from home or the office!
    01-29-09 01:50 PM
    I was told that as long as you were within Wi-Fi range, you could do things like Pin to Pin and text message for free. This info came from a few Rogers retailers in fact. Seems to be a grey area in my opinion.

Actually, my daughters boyfriend has been using an 8900 for a couple of weeks now, and has been trying a variety of things while UMA seems active. We'll know more when he receives his first cellphone bill.

Hi, I noticed that my new 8900 says at the top corner when I'm home that I'm in UMA mode. So I read up on it, and learned that it is a wifi enabled VOIP type thing. So I called Rogers to ask them more about it (ie: can I make long distance calls over my own network and not pay for them). The rep at Rogers said, "no", you have to be signed up for "Talkspot".

However, I am a bit confused, because I went to my phone, and turned the Rogers Mobile Network off in the Connections Manager, and left the WIFI on. I then made a phone call, it worked, and it continued to say I was using UMA.

When I'm making calls in UMA (since aparently I can) am I using my airtime? If I were out of province or country in a wifi hotspot, couldn't I just turn my Mobile Network off and make free calls?

I'm just confused by the conflicting information Rogers is giving me over the phone.

Anyone who can shed light on this would be appreciated.

Thanks
    01-30-09 09:35 AM
    Just talked to someone with Rogers and they claim that I don't need to add anything to my plan and whenever my phone is using WiFi or "UMA" at home or my office I will not be charged. Rogers has designated places throughout the city, he listed several coffee shops and other places and explained that if you sign up for "talkspot" it will automatically connect with WiFi in the places he listed as they are all secured networks. He assured me I do not need "talkspot" when I am calling from home or the office!
    I think there is some misinterpretation with that information. My understanding is you don't need the talkspot plan, but without it you will be charged as though you were calling on the network. pablotoofresh, apparently from rogers, explains it best above.
    01-30-09 11:59 AM
    This is not UMA its a another service to get your money

Go to Rogers web site and search for
    TalkSpot
    01-30-09 10:23 PM
    This is not UMA its a another service to get your money

Go to Rogers web site and search for
    TalkSpot

Talkpost service does have to do with UMA. I wouldnt exactly say thier out there to get your money. Every company has to make money to survive. Talkspot defeats the need for a home phone and will save you a lot of money if you use it on a regular basis.

It all depends on YOUR needs.
    01-31-09 03:26 PM
    ok. If I turn on my wifi and turn off my radio.. and if I'm connected to the internet (anywhere in the world) can i make calls locally and ld for free?
    02-01-09 11:29 PM
    ok. If I turn on my wifi and turn off my radio.. and if I'm connected to the internet (anywhere in the world) can i make calls locally and ld for free?
    No, you cannot.
    02-02-09 10:16 AM

if you have talkspot then yes (right pablo?) but if not then all calls Made on UMA goes towars your network mins. And ld cost ld
    that's what im getting out of it, correct me if i'm wrong though!
    02-02-09 11:15 AM
    Correct. If you have talkspot then any call you make is free depending on which talkspot package you have. Theres the $15 local and $20 canada-wide package.
    02-02-09 11:25 AM
    This works around the world I believe. So if you are in Asia you can hook onto Wi-Fi and make local calls back home for free.
    Unfortunately when WiFi is enabled outside of Canada (the U.S. as an example), the UMA logo does not come on. WiFi works but UMA does not. In Wifi Diagnostics, the message "Failed to Connect. Location not allowed" is displayed in the UMA section.

Unfortunate. Was hoping for free calls back to Canada over WiFi.
    02-02-09 10:20 PM
    Unfortunately when WiFi is enabled outside of Canada (the U.S. as an example), the UMA logo does not come on. WiFi works but UMA does not. In Wifi Diagnostics, the message "Failed to Connect. Location not allowed" is displayed in the UMA section.

Unfortunate. Was hoping for free calls back to Canada over WiFi.
    Could this be a FW issue? Or is it b/c the phone is locked to Rogers. Would the "failed to connect..." error be resolved if the phone is unlocked? If the rogers' phone is unlocked do you think it'll affect the UMA service back in Canada?
    02-03-09 02:36 PM
    So let me get this straight...

Connected to my home Wi-Fi, UMA enabled, without Rogers Talkspot -- Charges minutes & ld to my plan, but no additional charges for using UMA, but gets better reception (typically)

Connected to my home Wi-Fi, UMA Enabled, WITH Rogers Talkspot - Does not charge minutes or ld, instead I'm paying for Talkspot, gets better reception

And additionally, Rogers has Wi-Fi areas that their phones can connect to if Talkspot is enabled. True? (If so, is there a map or something of the cities that shows where their Wi-Fi Hotspots are?)

Am I getting this right? I wouldn't mind using UMA around my house (better reception than EDGE), even if it were using my plan minutes, but I don;t want to be automatically charged extra for using UMA/TalkSpot....
    02-04-09 12:03 PM
    Reference was made to the 9000r? Are the existing Bolds going to get a software upgrade that will give it UMA? Thanks
    02-04-09 12:41 PM
    I have my phone unlocked and nothing is effected! And I don't have a "talkspot" plan and make calls on UMA and it doesn't cost me any extra

02-04-09 01:39 PM
    I have my phone unlocked and nothing is effected! And I don't have a "talkspot" plan and make calls on UMA and it doesn't cost me any extra

I don't have my phone unlocked, yet. But I did make and received calls over UMA, but i don't think i'll be able to tell until i see my detailed billing and remember when i made/received the calls.

We need visible proof that Rogers will charge their customers for the mins used over UMA if the call was made/received outside of our weekday/unlimited mins bucket.
    02-04-09 07:17 PM
    I was told by my rogers agent that if you turn off the radio and enable wifi you will not be billed for minutes even without TalkSpot..

I asked since TalkSpot is not offered with their corporate plan...

Can anyone confirm this before I make my purchase?
    Thx
    02-10-09 11:27 PM
    Umm i would say no since i get call failed everytime i try to use UMA without the radio on,..
    02-11-09 11:26 AM
    I just got my 8900 and am conected to my home wifi. I do not subscribe to Talkspot.

When I'm using my phone at home, I go to Manage Connections and turn off "Mobile Network - Rogers" but leave on WiFi. My phone icon goe to UMA.

If I make calls this way, through my WiFi network, how can Rogers possibly bill me for minutes used since my calls do not go throught the Rogers network?
    02-14-09 11:47 AM
    If I make calls this way, through my WiFi network, how can Rogers possibly bill me for minutes used since my calls do not go throught the Rogers network?
    Although the call is travelling over your WiFi network and the internet, it still has to go somewhere. When you call over UMA, it terminates at a Rogers Server, which then places your call onto the telephone network.

It may not seem right that it's WiFi Data and that you have to pay for it, but that's the way Rogers decided it should be. My guess is that they don't want people to take advantage of unlimited local/long distance calling, so thats why it costs $20 for the talkspot service.
    Last edited by gm85; 02-14-09 at 09:03 PM.
    02-14-09 08:58 PM
91 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD