Mods please feel free to move this if it's in the wrong section but .... I called my airtime provider (Vodafone) and told them about my Storm being a bit on the laggy side. They asked me if I had a new generation sim card in my phone or an old style one. I told them that the sim card I had in the phone was the one I'd had for years and they told me that the Storm would work a lot better with a new card. So they arranged for me to have a new generation sim card and I picked it up at the store.
    I have to say that I was a bit dubious about what they were saying, but I have to admit that they are right! Having a new generation sim card HAS made the phone work quicker. Scrolling has become quicker, applications open quicker and not once has my Storm froze on me or have I had to do a battery pull.
    So if you don't have a NG sim card I suggest you ask your airtime provider to provide you one (FOC of course) and see the difference yourselves

Al
    01-20-09 11:12 AM
    any truth to this anyone? or just luck on the side of topic starter?
    01-20-09 02:43 PM
    How can you tell what kind of SIM card you have? Also is it safe to assume that if you are using the SIM card Verizon provided when you purchased your Storm that that SIM card is new generation card?
    01-20-09 02:46 PM
    How can you tell what kind of SIM card you have? Also is it safe to assume that if you are using the SIM card Verizon provided when you purchased your Storm that that SIM card is new generation card?

Most likely VZW has used newer cards, BUT unless you are going to travel to europe on VZW you don't even need to leave the SIM card in the phone, it will work just fine without it. The CMDA radios do not require nor use the SIM card at all, it is provided because the Storm is a world phone, and will work in europe when and if you travel there.
    01-20-09 03:08 PM
    Another posted the same thing about having to get a newer version sim card for their storm a couple days ago. If you do a search you should be able to find the results of when they installed the newer sim card.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 05:16 PM
    Maybe newer sim cards are capable of higher read/write speeds? Similar to digital camera flash memory.
    01-20-09 06:23 PM
    I'll take a couple of pics tomorrow of what the difference is between the old and the new card peeps.
    I have genuinely found the phone to work quicker. The fella at the store found it hard to give me an example of why the phone would work any different but instead showed me the difference in the designs on the part of the sim card that makes contact with your phone. All seems a bit strange but I swear, the phone does work quicker. I just hope that this is the same for everyone else that tries it.
    Like I said folks, I'll post piccies tomorrow for you so that you have something to compare to.

Al
    01-21-09 03:12 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD