I've currently got a Curve 8320 and this does support UMA, but I'm due to upgrade within the month and was wanting the Bold. UMA is quite a big thing for me as I live in an area with bad reception so when I go freinds houses, work etc I enable the Wifi and use UMA to get a signal/reception. My question therefore is does the Bold have UMA, also can you knock the 3G off (cause the signal round here is weak I won't need it often).
    I'm currently on Orange UK.
    01-20-09 06:56 AM
    User reports so far suggest Bold doesn't support UMA although it does support WiFi. However the RIM website suggests it might, if the carrier supports it. Confusing.

You can turn off Bold's 3G but the only benefit would be a slight improvement in battery life. If you mostly use your phone in areas without good 3G support you might find there is no significant advantage to Bold. Also consider the 8900 and investigate UMA support.

There are also recent reports that Orange has dropped support for free UMA calling, and now bills it as a standard call at the same rate as GSM calls.

Finally, don't confuse UMA for voice calls, and general wifi for data. These are different animals and I suspect you are really talking about wifi data (for email, browsing) and making your voice calls via GSM. I can't imagine you getting UMA voice calls over the office network or a friends's wifi without a lot of setup. If you are really interested in the wifi/data side (voice still goes by GSM) then Bold and 8900 should both be interesting to you.
    01-20-09 07:31 AM
    Bold doesn't support UMA. Its a carrier decision (as far as I know, correct me if iam wrong)
    whether to give UMA access to it's customers or not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-20-09 12:53 PM
    Bold doesn't support UMA. Its a carrier decision (as far as I know, correct me if iam wrong)
    whether to give UMA access to it's customers or not.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    So is the Bold not capable even if the carrier would support it?
    01-20-09 04:43 PM
    the Bold doesnt do UMA. Even if you run it on a carrier that supports UMA you wont get UMA.
    01-20-09 04:44 PM
    the Bold doesnt do UMA. Even if you run it on a carrier that supports UMA you wont get UMA.
    Thanks for clarifying that. Is there something in the specs that you can tell if a phone will or won't be able to do UMA or is it just if the company actually says (just wondering).
    01-20-09 04:51 PM
    you can get that direct from RIM. the profiles dont exist for any carrier, and even in the engineering screens there is no way to access UMA. On the UMA devices you can view (and in some cases edit) this information.
    01-20-09 04:53 PM
    I sell phones under the Roger's banner, and the rep told us that only models that end in "20" have UMA support, such as the Blackberry 8220.
    01-20-09 07:02 PM
    I sell phones under the Roger's banner, and the rep told us that on models that end in "20" have UMA support, such as the Blackberry 8220.
    8900 = UMA

xx20 just means WiFi.
    01-20-09 07:02 PM
    I have a Rogers Bold unlocked for T-Mobile and my girlfriend has an AT&T Bold also unlocked for T-Mobile when we are at her mom's house we usually don't have any coverage so one day we decided to turn our network connections off and just have wifi on to see if we could pick up UMA connection like our 8320's. Low and behold we could make calls somehow with the mobile network off and just wifi on. The reception was just as good as our previous curves using UMA. I don't know how to explain it but it did allow us to make calls. Anyone else try this while using T-Mobile?
    01-20-09 11:00 PM
    I have a Rogers Bold unlocked for T-Mobile and my girlfriend has an AT&T Bold also unlocked for T-Mobile when we are at her mom's house we usually don't have any coverage so one day we decided to turn our network connections off and just have wifi on to see if we could pick up UMA connection like our 8320's. Low and behold we could make calls somehow with the mobile network off and just wifi on. The reception was just as good as our previous curves using UMA. I don't know how to explain it but it did allow us to make calls. Anyone else try this while using T-Mobile?
    Did the display come up as UMA or did it just say Wifi? Have you tried anywhere else or just at your GF's mums house.
    01-21-09 05:16 AM
    Did the display come up as UMA or did it just say Wifi? Have you tried anywhere else or just at your GF's mums house.
    Yeah I tried it at my place too and it worked as well. It only said "wifi" but my mobile network was completely off leaving just the wifi on. Pretty strange but it works.
    01-21-09 06:44 PM
    Yeah I tried it at my place too and it worked as well. It only said "wifi" but my mobile network was completely off leaving just the wifi on. Pretty strange but it works.
    Did you disable your provider from "manage connections"? I tried making a call with "Rogers off" on my unlocked bb Bold at my home wifi connection and the call failed. it asks you to turn your radio on.
    02-18-09 12:18 AM
    you can get that direct from RIM. the profiles dont exist for any carrier, and even in the engineering screens there is no way to access UMA. On the UMA devices you can view (and in some cases edit) this information.
    in the engineering screen then why when you go into the wifi section is there a page called VOIP stats.
    02-18-09 06:15 PM
    Did you disable your provider from "manage connections"? I tried making a call with "Rogers off" on my unlocked bb Bold at my home wifi connection and the call failed. it asks you to turn your radio on.
    I get the same message when I try this at home with tmobile. Is there somewhere in the phone you disable the provider? Does your phone show that it is connected to your particular wifi network at home?

This sounds promising, but I cannot get this to work at my home.
    02-19-09 01:06 PM
    What happened to this? Did anyone figure out if you could use UMA calling with an unlocked bold on T-Mobile USA?
    02-21-09 10:23 AM
    mine also tells me to restore connections
    07-02-09 01:10 AM
    i do think Bold doesnt support UMA, i think Stomr 9530 does support UMA
    07-02-09 07:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD