01-18-09 08:27 PM
    No this is for the 9500......
    01-18-09 08:32 PM
    I know I said I will no longer discuss unreleased software anymore, but I want to save you all the trouble of installing this build. Honestly, I haven't used .88 on the 9500, but if it's anything like .88 for the 9530, you will be downgrading within 24hrs.

There is a serious problem with the device NOT charging, and theres also big problems with the media player. A lot of progress has been made in this build, but new problems have arose.

Have at it if you want, but don't say I didn't tell you so(atleast with the 9530) and I suspect the same with the 9500.

Edit: Again, you CANNOT install the OS for the 9500 onto the 9530. You must install the OS for a 9530 onto the 9530.
    01-18-09 08:33 PM
    Ouch that bad eh
    01-18-09 08:36 PM
    Hey, let's try and keep this on-topic for the 9500 users when they wake up. I know there are problems with the 9530 version, and I believe there are with the 9500 version also, although I'm not sure. I just wanted to give them a heads up. But I'm sure people will install regardless of what I say. But let's keep this on topic for the 9500 users.
    01-18-09 08:44 PM
    Can't wait to start reading the reviews on this.

Wish I could try it myself, but I have absolutly no idea how. I'll learn one day I guess.
    01-18-09 08:46 PM
    Can't wait to start reading the reviews on this.

Wish I could try it myself, but I have absolutly no idea how. I'll learn one day I guess.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/f132/ho...eta-os-122851/
    01-18-09 08:48 PM
    I know, but it has been a long time since I had a blackberry I want to wait until I am more comfortable until I start messing with stuff like this, esp because I am having no problems on .78 =)

01-18-09 08:53 PM
    I know I said I will no longer discuss unreleased software anymore, but I want to save you all the trouble of installing this build. Honestly, I haven't used .88 on the 9500, but if it's anything like .88 for the 9530, you will be downgrading within 24hrs.

There is a serious problem with the device NOT charging, and theres also big problems with the media player. A lot of progress has been made in this build, but new problems have arose.

Have at it if you want, but don't say I didn't tell you so(atleast with the 9530) and I suspect the same with the 9500.

Edit: Again, you CANNOT install the OS for the 9500 onto the 9530. You must install the OS for a 9530 onto the 9530.
    Thanks for the word of warning. I'll give it a shot ..... Hope I don't have to take one for the team .... lol
    01-18-09 08:54 PM
    if you install it... just report all issues you have only one way to know there is problems!! the more problems you report the better! I want RIM to really work on this thing.
    01-18-09 09:27 PM
    From what CX tells us, we're GLAD they didn't!
    01-18-09 11:19 PM
    Good luck to all the 9500 owners who try this OS if you do please report back and thanks for the heads up CX
    01-18-09 11:21 PM

Man one of these days the software boys will figure this stuff out and kick out a release without major regressions. Right now it seems like too large of a software team thats not communicating well enough.
    01-18-09 11:22 PM
    Good to see there has been solid progrss, C_X. Gives us all some hope, Thanks for the help. Good luck 9500 Guys/Gals!
    01-18-09 11:25 PM
    Now take into consideration that the following was from a 9530, and yes it could potentially work great on a 9500. I kind of doubt it. But heres some problems with OS 4.7.0.88:

A lot of things have been improved upon, but those changes in the code, have cause new problems. Have no fear, this is a decent OS, and once a few changes are made to fix a couple of the problems, there shouldn't be anyone who has a probelm with the Storms software.
    Just want to say, "Thank you" Not just for the quick change log. Only you can get away with reporting bugs these days without the flaming torches and pitch forks coming out.

But more importantly for your re-assurance that we are close. Like many I was getting really 'anxious' about the device. I believe I can trust your word. So I will take a step back and wait for the good stuff that should be here soon.
    01-18-09 11:46 PM
    Can't be worse than .85. I'll give it a crack when I get the chance

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-19-09 01:26 AM
    I will wait till more reviews.

I don't really have the time to do an upgrade every day :-)

Great to see RIM working hard on this though.

My .87 works "fine" so i will stick for a while and wait for further reviews.
    01-19-09 02:35 AM
    Okay. Loaded .88

I always load new firmware, am not entirely happy so then I ALWAYS wipe using JL_Cmder before I install the new software again. It always works better after a wipe.

This time I haven't felt the need to wipe! It's working lightning fast so far! Wah-hey! Hold on to your pants!

I'm working through everything systematically. So far, so cool. Camera has see-thru bars which is very nice. Video works fine. I have no complaints at all...

...but that might/will probably change after I've had a few hours/days using it.

BUT, it is NOT like as has warned about re on the 9530.

So far I like it much MUCH better than .85. (maybe better than .87 also!)

Download it. Your BB will not explode or anything...

Updated update: This is so FAST!!!!!!!!! I'm loving it!!!! Starting to live up to the Storm name. Some things open/switch like lightning! Especially opening folders and apps... and typing is wow!!!

Update No. 2: This puppy is getting better!!!!! Everything is SO much faster and better! But I have to add that the past shows that everyone's Storm reacts differently for some unknown reason, so take my experiences with a pinch of salt. Having said that:

I LOVE MY STORM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! woo-hoo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More: I CANNOT BELIEVE how fast Viigo is!!!!!!!!!!!! It's on speed! (no: Crack!)

Browser: Definitely faster. Didn't notice any change on any of the other updates, but this is faster (not by some massive amount, but it is faster, like 10-15% to give you some idea).

Media Player works fine. No problems. Pauses when you turn on camera or video for a while. Did it used to do this? *shrugs*

(Okay, that's it for tonight. Others can take over now. Enjoy it, it's good. I've been running Viigo, Music, Browser, Camera the same time and it isn't struggling. I'm happy)

Night!
    Last edited by CrackleBerryMound; 01-19-09 at 03:39 AM.
    01-19-09 02:58 AM
    Thank you very much for the update C_X. Thank you for providing a detailed list of issues with the latest software. I'm glad they are working on the redrawing issues of the phone. I have a feeling the phone will be nicely polished when these kinks are all taken care of. .86 is giving me a lot of issues right now but I can tell certain areas have been improved. I know the RIM developers are hard at work now.
    01-19-09 02:58 AM
    Ash, or anybody else who has installed,

Has the singal strength improved?
    01-19-09 03:18 AM

Signal seems the same to me. I found .83 to have the best strength out of all the updates. .88 is not as good as .83, but the same as .87. It is better than .85.

Battery will be the big decider, but I'll need 24 hours on that one to know for sure.
    01-19-09 03:32 AM
    (Okay, that's it for tonight. Others can take over now. Enjoy it, it's good. I've been running Viigo, Music, Browser, Camera the same time and it isn't struggling. I'm happy)

Night!
    Have a good night's sleep and thank you for the initial report. Your friends from the other side of the globe are taking over now (since ist's 11 a.m. here in Germany).

My expierience with .88:
    Updated from .87 without previous wipe. Did a battery pull directly after the Update even before I punched in my pin. All went smoothly. Connecting to device did take forever though (about the same as with .85 and .87).
    I agree the Storm feels a lot faster. Signal strengh also improoved. But most important: With .88 I'm having a stable connection to BIS in 3G mode (had issues with .87). Haven't tried out the cam & media player (since I rarly use them anyway) and didn't encounter any bugs or anything else bothering me.

To sum it up: Works fine for me. Give it a try!
    01-19-09 04:07 AM
    Signal seems the same to me. I found .83 to have the best strength out of all the updates. .88 is not as good as .83, but the same as .87. It is better than .85.

Battery will be the big decider, but I'll need 24 hours on that one to know for sure.

Looking forward for the battery issues.. (Too lazy to upgrade*)..
    01-19-09 04:08 AM
    Wow. That is a damn big list. Seems like a very sub standard build. However if, as you say, there have been many improvements on this build, it will just be a matter of the coders resolving some of the more minor issues with this build. Im fairly sure the next version will fix all the defects as listed above.

I have a theory the signal strength is hardware related as per my Signal Strength Issue thread.

Just a theory but Im worried that it may be true.

Thanks to crackberrymound for the review. Seems like you are extremely happy with this build and hopefully other people get the same affect.
    Last edited by Crucial_Xtreme; 01-19-09 at 05:55 AM.
    01-19-09 04:14 AM
    So, i've updated this morning. Took slightly longer than when i did the .85 and .87 updates, i concur that it hung for a while on "connecting to device".

Initial thoughts - general responsiveness is awesome. Very, very snappy. It has hung on me a few times (especially in internet browser), what I mean is that it didn't react on anything i clicked for about 10 seconds, even after the page loaded and was fully rendered. I was also playing a music clip at the time to test the memory allocation etc.

I noticed that I had intermittent connections with BIS on .87, so i'm hoping this may be resolved in .88.

So far, so good. It definately feels that RIM is getting there...I suppose they have to seeing as the Storm is not going to be VF exclusive come Spring (so i've read in a couple of mags, and O2 are sending mails to their customers saying they can expect it soon too)....
    01-19-09 04:22 AM
182 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD