I used some information out of this thread in this forum and some from another forum but finally got my Blackberry Bold to work as a modem using AT&T as my service provider on Windows Vista platform.

I'm a first time forum writer but I wouldn't have been able to get mine to work w/o insight from people on these forums so I am detailing how I got mine to work. Hope it helps!

1.If you have not already, download and install the Blackberry Desktop Software.
    2.Go to the Windows Device manager. Quickest way: Start > Run > devmgmt.msc
    3.Click + button next to Modems, double click �Standard Modem�
    4.Click the Advanced tab
    5.Enter this into the empty box (no leading space):
    AT+CGDCONT=1,�IP�,�wap.cingular�
    6.Hit Okay, and close device manager.

Also, then
    1 From your computer, click Start, Control Panel, then Network and Sharing Center.
    2 Set up a connection or a net work then Next.
    3 Select Set up dial up connection.
    4 Select the Standard Modem, then Next.
    5 Enter this as the phone number: *99# �> Next
    6 Enter user name (ALL CAPS): ISP@CINGULARGPRS (after GPRS, put .COM) forum wouldn't let me post a website address
    7 Enter and confirm password (ALL CAPS): CINGULAR1 �> Next/Finish
    8 Open the desktop manager and plug in your Blackberry via the USB cable. Make sure it detects the Blackberry as connected.
    9 Go back to your network connections window (step 7), and double click the new ATT Dialup icon.
    10 Your password, username, and dialup number should already be saved. If it�s not, just follow lines 6 and 7 above again. Then just click �Dial�
    01-18-09 03:35 PM
    Thanks for sharing, I'm sure this will be a big help to people.
    01-18-09 03:40 PM
    Hers a sorter easier and less confusing way:
    All you need is AT&T communication manager, plug in your Bold and press connect and your tethered.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-09 05:16 PM
    Hers a sorter easier and less confusing way:
    All you need is AT&T communication manager, plug in your Bold and press connect and your tethered.

True. But, that requires a tethered plan, additional $15 for BES and $30 for BIS. This does not.
    01-18-09 06:32 PM
    Thanks, this is exactly what I was looking for!
    01-27-09 05:34 PM
    I tried this all twice and it doesn't work for me. I'm unable to even dial out. Any idea?
    01-27-09 05:55 PM
    Just asking, but what's the legal status of doing this? Illegal? I mean after all for $30.00/mo you get UNLIMITED DATA, right?!?!
    02-15-09 01:35 PM
    ich808,

You're saying that after trying the instructions above, you aren't able to dial out of it?

Did you get any ATT support?
    02-15-09 01:54 PM
    It works great! Hopefully it is free.
    02-15-09 03:51 PM
    Im willing to pay the 30 $$$ with att plan it works great

02-15-09 04:02 PM
    how's the speed and does it work with Vista?
    02-15-09 06:21 PM
    how's the speed and does it work with Vista?
    Whitch one the first post or mine

02-15-09 09:20 PM
    I think At&t will charge extra when u do this. I believe I saw it on another forum about some guy got his bill and it was like over $500 bucks.

02-15-09 09:57 PM
    I think At&t will charge extra when u do this. I believe I saw it on another forum about some guy got his bill and it was like over $500 bucks.

If you use it carefully you will be fine. I've tethered a little for months and never been caught. The best thing to do is not pass 5GB too many months. I haven't heard of anyone ever getting caught though.
    02-15-09 11:01 PM
    Error 692: There was a hardware failure in the model or other connecting device)

any idea what is going on here?
    02-16-09 03:51 PM
    Mine worked like a charm. It's amazing that this is even possible to do without signing up for the tethering plan. Why isn't this part of a "service books" function, like CV for example?

02-16-09 06:45 PM
    This is cool....I'm going to try it!!! I've been wondering if it could be done, without getting the tethering.

Wish me luck!!
    02-16-09 07:11 PM
    Just tried it today. Works like a charm with the USB cable. Going to try and see if I can figure out how to tether via bluetooth. If anyone has an idea on how, I'd like to hear it. Thanks!
    02-26-09 01:00 AM
    Funny thing is I couldn't get it to work via USB, only via BT across an already established COM3 port.

02-26-09 01:34 AM
    I used to tether my Pearl to my MacBook all the time before OS 4.5 came out and I actually felt like I was getting my money's worth out of my data plan. At the time I didn't even know there was such thing as a paid tethering plan that I was supposed to fork money over for.

Because this is possible, I don't see how AT&T can justify charging for the tethering service... if what you are paying for is UNLIMITED data, that's what you should get. My minutes are one of the lowest options available and after data is added I pay nearly $100 a month after many years of being an AT&T customer. Trying to charge people who are already buying "unlimited" data usage an additional fee, for nothing more than changing some settings that you can change yourself on both your phone and computer strikes me as pretty sheisty.

Thanks to the OP for making this info available. I knew it could be done with my Mac, it's good to know people are doing it successfully on Win machines too. I can't wait until Google is able to put real pressure on the telecom companies to offer more for less and move away from hopelessly long, binding contracts. I don't support theft, but I am all for sharing info to get the most out of what you pay for.
    02-26-09 01:47 AM
    Cant get mine to work. kept saying problem with hardware 'modem'
    02-26-09 02:53 AM
    Cant get mine to work. kept saying problem with hardware 'modem'
    What OS are you running on your BB? Are you trying to tether to a Mac or PC?
    02-26-09 05:28 PM
    Make sure you have the BlackBerry Desktop Manager open when you try to dial the connection to avoid error 692 ("modem hardware" error).
    02-27-09 03:59 PM
    I followed to sequence outlined above and it worked very easily. Problem I am having now when on my home wireless network is that when I go to open another webpage the "Connect Dial Up connection" box pops up asking if I want to connect via dial up. I have to hit cancel everytime! Is there a way to make it not do this. I am running vistas and use firefox. Thanks.
    02-27-09 05:43 PM
    I followed to sequence outlined above and it worked very easily. Problem I am having now when on my home wireless network is that when I go to open another webpage the "Connect Dial Up connection" box pops up asking if I want to connect via dial up. I have to hit cancel everytime! Is there a way to make it not do this. I am running vistas and use firefox. Thanks.
    Open Internet Explorer. Go to Tools > Internet Options. Go to Connections tab in Internet Options window. Select Never Dial a Connection. Click OK. The setting should turn off the annoying pop-ups for good.
    02-27-09 05:47 PM
115 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD