Hey everyone, long time lurker here..

Since the Storm came out I was very intrigued by this phone. It does everything I want it to do, outside of wifi, and I think it would be a great phone for me, business and personal wise. Here is my situation:

I've got 3 months left on my Verizon contract. My old phone is starting to crap out (Samsung Alias) and doesn't accept a charge anymore, luckily my future wife has the same phone so we're playing battery swap roulette every morning before work.

I am torn between buying the Storm now, waiting a couple more weeks to see if all the hardware fixes are put into place, or completely waiting until my VZW contract is up and seeing what other smartphones are available on other networks.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    01-18-09 11:12 AM
    The Storm is a little buggy yet, but you can still buy it knowing that it will be better in the future. But as far as other options go, the Bold is a great device on at&t, and T-mobile is soon getting the new Curve 8900. The Storm is more of an entertainment phone, while the curve or the bold will be more buisness related.
    01-18-09 11:16 AM
    I would say try and get your phone fixed then wait. VZW should be coming out with a few new BB phones between the 1st and 2nd quarter.
    01-18-09 11:19 AM
    I believe VZW has a 30-day remorse period at every store. You might ask if that would apply in your case since you still have 3 months left.

If so, I'd get one and try it as you'd have nothing to loose. I bet you will be glad you did. I'm not sure I agree with Biker totally in that I find the Storm quite the business tool with very nice bells and whistles. Since you would be coming from the Alias, I don't think you'd experience some of the "adjustment" issues some previous BB owners have.

I've had no hardware problems with mine, and of course the OS is still being refined. But it works very well, is pleasing to use and a joy to crackberry with.

Good luck in your decision!
    01-18-09 11:24 AM
    Get a new battery for the alias, if that is the issue. I love the Storm, I have installed os .86, which is buggy here and there, but overall better than .75, the phone works great, reception is fantastic, and I have no complaints. I would not switch to any other phone if I could, I refuse to leave Verizon, even though there are cetain aspects of Verizon I don't like, they still have the best network. Go ahead and get the Storm if you like it.
    01-18-09 11:26 AM
    I personally love the storm. It has some issues but nothing that has stopped me from doing anything I need to. I have gone from a windows mobile device to a palm to the curve and then now to the Storm and the storm by far has been the best phone I have ever owned. Just my 2 pennies.
    01-18-09 11:31 AM
    I just upgraded from the 8830 to the Storm 2 weeks ago. So far so good...only concern I have is that sometimes when I take it out of the holster, it takes a few seconds before it "wakes up" from sleep mode; screen is frozen for a few seconds. I wasn't a big fan of the whole touch screen thing but was sold on the 8g (expan to 16g) memory, 3.2mp video camera, GSM capabilities and full web browser. But if (and when) VZW offers the new Curve 8900 (which I believe will have these same features)...I'd be tempted....
    01-18-09 11:40 AM
    I just got my Storm 2 days ago after having a Samsung Alias for almost 2 years.
    I'm glad I did.
    There is a slight learning curve but it is not that bad.
    01-18-09 11:42 AM
    you should wait, its no where up to par yet!! if our using it for business, and you going to get alot of emails with attachments, your screwed,verizon/blackberry has limited the size you can open, unlike the windows version PDAs, the storm has great potential to be the best but someone is holding it back!! the emails bother me most!!
    01-18-09 11:45 AM
    Storm in my personal opinion is not a good business blackberry its simply too unreliable at this point. I'm getting one as well but as my media and internet berry not my business berry. My 8900 fits that role far well. I say wait on the CDMA Bold or some other blackberry. But as some have said it can't hurt to try it storm.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-18-09 11:53 AM
    Hey everyone, long time lurker here..

Since the Storm came out I was very intrigued by this phone. It does everything I want it to do, outside of wifi, and I think it would be a great phone for me, business and personal wise. Here is my situation:

I've got 3 months left on my Verizon contract. My old phone is starting to crap out (Samsung Alias) and doesn't accept a charge anymore, luckily my future wife has the same phone so we're playing battery swap roulette every morning before work.

I am torn between buying the Storm now, waiting a couple more weeks to see if all the hardware fixes are put into place, or completely waiting until my VZW contract is up and seeing what other smartphones are available on other networks.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
    I went from a Pearl to a Storm 2 weeks ago and have had no problems with it. No battery pulls required. I am able to get my email and a ble to tether and connect to company server via VPN. I was hesitant at first due to the posts on this forum but remember that many of these people like to endlessly customize there phone and get themselves into trouble.

If you want to wait, I will be selling the Pearl. Email me if interested.
    01-18-09 11:58 AM
    For me the network would be the first decision. I live in the mountains of North Carolina and with Verizon vs ATT it's no decision at all. Verizon has the best coverage.
    Next, what do you want in a phone? The Storm for me does all the things necessary for my personal and business communications. Yes it's still a little buggy but the improvements are coming fast and often. As long as that keeps happening I'm keeping it. Moved from a windows OS to the BB and am very happy I did.
    Again, my .02 cents...
    01-18-09 12:05 PM
    Check with Verizon you might already be eligible for a new phone. Usually the primary can get a new phone 6 months before the two year contract is up.

I haven't had any problems with it either. I love it. Reading these forums, I sometimes wonder if I shouldn't love it. I was reluctant to even try it out, and I tried an Omnia first (hated that POS, btw). I have no random reboots, and the device is reasonably fast on .75. I'd highly recommend trying it out. Judging from some of the reviews, it's not a great curve/bold replacement, but I think it's a good iphone replacement (i.e. entertainment, internet, etc).
    I wouldn't buy a new battery for the old phone...think of using that money for a new phone and accessories...went from a pearl to a storm...glad I did..and remember, every phone has some bugs if you look hard enough.
    01-18-09 12:08 PM
    I have had no isses with the Storm. I fell into the "click" trap thinking I had the infamous click problem, however, even the torx fix didnt seem to make it the "perfect" click. Keep in mind....my screen clicks fine even before the fix.... just not the same click depth in certain spots.... nothing to return or complain about the phone.
    Software issues :
    I have had my phone since Dec 5th. Not once has it frozen up on me. I have seen some quirky issues ( letters on button sometimes not all uniform in size... etc.) but again, nothing worth going through all the trouble of returning it for.
    I have not experienced any issues with accelerometer lag. My phone switches from portrait to landscape with grace and speed. Always has.
    I am running .75. by the way. The only 3rd party app I am running is Weatherbug.
    I will not run anything but an official version. Beta tests are as they say.... beta tests.....there is a reason why they dont become official OS releases.
    The way I see it, this phone is totally upgradable..... everything works on software.... the possibilities of future OS update is endless.... the entire look and feel of the phone it totally alterable. I love that.
    I have had the Pearl, the Curve and now on to the Storm. Overall, for me, I can type much much better and faster than I could with any of my other BBs.
    The sound is great, speaker phone is the best I have ever had.
    I use the original Jawbone for Bluetooth, and that works fine.
    The media player I find superior to the media players I had on the Pearl or Curve.
    What issues do I have with my phone so far :
    Call Logs are not logging outbound calls, only inbound. I will bring in the phone this week to VZW and have them look. Again, I am sure a simple fix and nothing worth not buying the phone or requesting a new one over.
    As has been said here before.... all new technology undergoes its initial woes. RIM and VZW may not have created the Iphone killer, but they cam darn close to it in my opinion. At very least, they created it's equall.
    01-18-09 12:40 PM
    Wait a few months, the Bold for Verizon should be out, which you should get.
    01-18-09 12:48 PM
    Check with Verizon you might already be eligible for a new phone. Usually the primary can get a new phone 6 months before the two year contract is up.

In addition to that, if you're a VIP member to Verizon you may even be able to upgrade before that. They allow me to upgrade every 10mo with my VIP account. However, this is limited to the primary line only.
    01-18-09 01:12 PM
    Have the storm and although there are a few bugs I'm still more than happy with all the things it can do
    01-18-09 01:30 PM
    Well, it really depends on how you make decisions. I like to make decisions on phone purchases the same as I do business decisions. Using the information that I have right in front of me.

Verizon should release a Bold or updated Curve....the operative term "should". Even when they do, there will be another device, with more advanced features, rumored to release 3 - 9 months later. Short story is go with your gut instinct and make the decision you will be happy with no matter what.

I will tell you that many people who have had a ton of problems with this phone are not usually the most experienced users. I, for example have been using PDA/PDA phones for over 9 years now. Have I had a few problems with the Storm, of course but I have solved them or found workarounds for all of them. So I would take many of the "I am having problems" threads with the least bit of worry.

That said if you want to be on the cutting edge of Blackberry, the Storm would be it. If you want a device that is not first generation and will encompass the best of RIMs technical knowledge and history in Blackberry manufacturing I would wait on the next Bold/Curve from Verizon. Which may or may not be a global phone. I like the global phone so the Storm is it for me. I have a Pearl and a 8830 as well. But I retired them for the Storm.

I say go with your gut. No matter what the next device will be out on its way!
    Last edited by jlii; 01-18-09 at 01:44 PM.
    01-18-09 01:40 PM
    Lots of feedback!
    Thanks guys. I am leaning towards picking up a Storm in a few days.

-btw, it isn't the battery in my Alias that stopped taking charges, when I plug the charger into the phone it doesn't "connect" to the power source. It's like it's not even plugged in.
    01-18-09 03:27 PM
    Lots of feedback!
    Thanks guys. I am leaning towards picking up a Storm in a few days.

-btw, it isn't the battery in my Alias that stopped taking charges, when I plug the charger into the phone it doesn't "connect" to the power source. It's like it's not even plugged in.
    Call telesales and explain your situation, they will most definately allow you to upgrade 3 months early, I was 6 months early and they allow me to upgrade and get the Storm. You do NOT want to buy the storm full retail, the issues with the device will make you feel like a schmuck for doing so. At $199 the issues are much easier to deal with.
    01-18-09 03:49 PM
    I like my storm. It wipes the floor with my old samsung i760 wm 6. 1

But honestly I would wait. The software is still buggy, and that will be fixed. But the bigger problem is that the basic hardware is underpowered. It needs to have a beefier processor or dedicated video hardware to really fulfill its potential. Plus you have to deal with the common touchscreen only issues.

01-18-09 04:03 PM
    Call telesales and explain your situation, they will most definately allow you to upgrade 3 months early, I was 6 months early and they allow me to upgrade and get the Storm. You do NOT want to buy the storm full retail, the issues with the device will make you feel like a schmuck for doing so. At $199 the issues are much easier to deal with.
    No, I can use my new every 2 credit right now. I think it makes the Storm only like $149.99 for me.
    01-18-09 04:05 PM
    I love my Storm. I'm on my second phone. I'm also patient and read this board a lot. The software is still buggy and some things don't work or work efficiently(video camera, power point respectively). If you don't mind the many flaws, then get it because the flaws can be fixed over time with updates. A product that looks impressive software-wise is the Palm Pre.

01-18-09 06:19 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD