I got into this once before on here .. without proof, and believe me or not, a coworker of mine is verrrrrrrry good friends with a "c level" employee of VZW (CEO, CIO, CTO, COO, etc). I dont want to give her name, and i don't really mind if you don't believe me.

At the end of December he asked her for feedback on the storm, she told him this phone will be the best thing since sliced bread, etc. Now yes thats expected from any VZW employee, but like i said they are extremely close and she shoots straight with him. So we trusted her.

I bought the phone, had issues, few replacements later i exchanged for a curve. It just wasn't for me at this time, ill wait for more perfection before buying it again.

Anyhow .. I asked him to ask her what they had in store for the storm as far as major revisions, etc. If there was anything she could tell us.
    *he asked her via txt msg*

Her reply: "DO NOT buy the storm. Get the Omnia"

so i asked him if she had any specific feedback, or if she can confirm if and when we would get the bold

her reply: "Just dont get the Storm, that's all ill say"

SO .. she couldn't release anything about the bold i guess, or she didnt want to get into it, which is fine i understand that. But her immediate response and stress on the first 2 words "DO NOT ...." Can she know something we dont? (stupid question lol)

My question is, is it possible they EFF'd up the launch and realize how much work it needs for perfection or to compete in the market, and are now just reallocating the resources to work on other projects .. hence the slow roll out of new OS's?

**before you jump on that, i know it hasn't been slow compared to other phones, but considering the severity of some of the issues, you would think they would assign top teams to work on that stuff day and night

**Also you can believe me or not about my source, it doesn't bother me. If you dont believe me, just skip to the question and answer it on your opinion.
    01-15-09 10:20 PM
    I was told the same thing about the Omnia. Verizon cant allow this phone (storm) to take a back seat, especially to the Omnia, that phone is crap.
    01-15-09 10:26 PM
    Not buying it. Not that you don't really have a source and the source didn't actually tell you that, but that I'm not buying that the Storm is being removed from the top of Verizon and RIM's priority list anytime soon.

This is one incredible device and is having a lot of success. There is no way this one is coming off the priority list.

If it were coming off the priority list, we wouldn't be seeing RIM pay as much attention to the OS versions as much as they have. There is no way anybody is ditching this phone before it has a chance to really live up to it's potential.

A few OS updates and this thing is getting unanimous praise from just about everywhere. It has the BlackBerry name and it's a touchscreen device. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    01-15-09 10:28 PM
    Ive had my Storm since Dec 11th with NO problems. I honestly think its the best thing they have out. Dont listen to what others will tell you about it. You just decide for yourself. If it doesnt meet your standerds, just stay with your other phone.
    01-15-09 10:30 PM
    Not buying it. Not that you don't really have a source and the source didn't actually tell you that, but that I'm not buying that the Storm is being removed from the top of Verizon and RIM's priority list anytime soon.

This is one incredible device and is having a lot of success. There is no way this one is coming off the priority list.

If it were coming off the priority list, we wouldn't be seeing RIM pay as much attention to the OS versions as much as they have. There is no way anybody is ditching this phone before it has a chance to really live up to it's potential.

A few OS updates and this thing is getting unanimous praise from just about everywhere. It has the BlackBerry name and it's a touchscreen device. It isn't going anywhere anytime soon.
    I agree it wont be abandoned, but if they realize it can possibly take 6mo for this to be prime time ready, without some users having to go through 2 or 3 devices to find a good one .. maybe they figure they leave a small crew on the OS updating, and they focus their attention on something else?
    01-15-09 10:31 PM
    i HIGHLY doubt a high level vzw employee would send a text message saying do not buy the storm. Talk about leaving a paper trail, jeez...a high level vzw employee could get fired for saying something like that
    01-15-09 10:32 PM
    Yea, this is an amazing device. I've had quite a few devices and I've never been as pleased with one as much as I am with this thing.

Well that may be unavoidable OP. I think it's already prime-time, but it will be even better come, say February 18th. It's unavoidable that the Storm will be light years beyond where it's at now in 6 months.

I've never seen so many people that I know all talk about a single device so much and be so eager to go pick one up. Sometimes for no other reason than the simple fact that Obama has a BlackBerry so they want to get the newest one out.
    Last edited by Optimusv2; 01-15-09 at 10:35 PM.
    01-15-09 10:33 PM
    I agree it wont be abandoned, but if they realize it can possibly take 6mo for this to be prime time ready, without some users having to go through 2 or 3 devices to find a good one .. maybe they figure they leave a small crew on the OS updating, and they focus their attention on something else?
    I would agree with you on that but you mentioned the Omnia lol. If Verizon were to let the Storm take a back seat, I would hope it wasnt for that phone.
    01-15-09 10:34 PM
    I can see them putting a major focus on other products, but i highly doubt they'll abandon the storm. Their name is branded on it, they don't want that on their history.
    01-15-09 10:35 PM
    man i would be PO'd if they did that... i hope they aren't and if they are i hope we on crackberry do something to rebel :-P
    01-15-09 10:35 PM
    Another thing to consider is that this phone enters them into an entirely new market for them. The storm could have BLASTED other phones out of the water, if it was stable, mostly bug free, and without needing the user to be a computer geek to load leaked OS which may fix something, may break other things, etc.

if they did this right, which IMO they did not, this phone would be getting rave reviews from every paper, blog, website, etc.

Now the thing to think about is that by the time this phone is up to par in the market (yea yea i know you all have flawless devices already lol), phones and mobile technology itself would have already advanced past this phone.
    01-15-09 10:36 PM
    Yeah, I totally believe that two fly-by-night operations like Verizon and RIM invested hundreds of millions of dollars into r&d and marketing on a phone only to abandon it a month later.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-15-09 10:38 PM
    they would have alot of angry customers to deal with as well
    01-15-09 10:39 PM
    Yeah, I totally believe that two fly-by-night operations like Verizon and RIM invested hundreds of millions of dollars into r&d and marketing on a phone only to abandon it a month later.

Yeah, no one is going to abandon the phone. Too much money was pumped into it.
    01-15-09 10:42 PM
    im not taking this one to heart to much......the Storm has been out for less than 2 months, the wont drop R&D that quick
    Anyone listen to the radio? Watch TV? Look at billboards? There is still a massive advertising campaign in place for the Storm. I've never seen or heard word one about the Omnia. For Verizon and RIM to continue to push this product while abandoning it would be a huge blemish on both of their reputations at a time that no company can afford that.

Also, the Storm was released on Nov. 21. OS started at .65. I've seen .75, .76, .83, .85 and .86. That's less than a week and a half between the releases that have been leaked, so they're obviously working quite diligently to correct the issues caused by the premature rollout of this device.

As for the Omnia, I've only played with the device a few times, once a demo model and once a Verizon store manager's device. The limited experience I had with the phone convinced me that I made the right decision when I got my Storm.
    You pretty much have to be a geek to operate any BB sufficiently on your own.
    01-15-09 10:43 PM
    Not buying it for the reason stated: "C" level employees know not to leave evidence. I'm an "M" level employee (as in "kept in the dark and fed crap) and I know better than to even say anything where other's may hear.

VZ has too much invested in the Storm. Coming up on 2 months since release and they're still advertising it regularly on TV. Yet strangely I've yet to see an Omnia commercial...

I did not say abandon. But if they have 2000 (lets just throw a number) assigned to the project, they can pull 1200 of them and put them on the next big thing they have coming out, or big problems they have, or whatever. And leave a skeleton crew to work on bugs for the storm.

With the mentality "eventually it will be fixed, but for now we need this other thing done which is more important"

In other words, already missed the boat with the Storm, so take their time fixing it and go look for another boat. Maybe work on the Bold, or some other big thing they might have coming.
    Not buying it for the reason stated: "C" level employees know not to leave evidence. I'm an "M" level employee (as in "kept in the dark and fed crap) and I know better than to even say anything where other's may hear.

VZ has too much invested in the Storm. Coming up on 2 months since release and they're still advertising it regularly on TV. Yet strangely I've yet to see an Omnia commercial...
    Look im not arguing the Omnia even holds anything on this phone. I havent seen an omnia, have never considered it even for a second. I just stated what she said.

And again i dont have explanation for what she said, maybe she said get the omnia meaning for the time being, until whatever is next is out? Or get the omnia for now because it will be a year before the storm is ready?

I have no idea what she meant and i cant really question her, i just wanted to ask everyones opinion on wtf she could have meant, or why it was said.
    01-15-09 10:47 PM
    I got into this once before on here .. without proof, and believe me or not, a coworker of mine is verrrrrrrry good friends with a "c level" employee of VZW (CEO, CIO, CTO, COO, etc). I dont want to give her name, and i don't really mind if you don't believe me.
    There's only one "C" level executive that's female. Source.
    01-15-09 10:58 PM
    Thanks Doreen!
    01-15-09 11:01 PM
    There's only one "C" level executive that's female. Source.
    lol, busted.

Anyway, what is happening here is called... POSING!!!

Someone finds something that's supposed to be the blim blam of things. They buy into it and then find out it sucks and then some people say it sucks too and then all of a sudden because they don't want to look like they're not backing up the popular kids, now they say it sucks too.

The people that aren't posers stick to their guns when it comes to matter such as this. Personally, I don't think the Storm is without its faults, but there is no way I'd say the Omnia is a better phone... and this is coming from someone that likes the customability/hackability of a WinMo phone. The screen sucks and it requires a pigtail to hook up headphones.

Now, if they put the Palm Pre against it... well, maybe there might be some newfound truth to that, but the jury is still out on that one. We still don't know anything about enterprise level email integration on that phone. It might suck as bad as the G1 does. Heck, in my book, the only touchscreen phone worthy of competition which has good enterprise email is currently the iPhone, but that's just me liking ActiveSync better then BES/BIS anyday of the year.
    01-15-09 11:10 PM
    Not funny, i just want to discuss the question, not get people in trouble .. so lets not go on a hunt for this source lol

thats not her, i dont know if that list is not current, or if she is under a different department or something ... its a different name
    01-15-09 11:11 PM
    Look im not arguing the Omnia even holds anything on this phone. I havent seen an omnia, have never considered it even for a second. I just stated what she said.

And again i dont have explanation for what she said, maybe she said get the omnia meaning for the time being, until whatever is next is out? Or get the omnia for now because it will be a year before the storm is ready?

I have no idea what she meant and i cant really question her, i just wanted to ask everyones opinion on wtf she could have meant, or why it was said.
    Not arguing. Just said I don't buy it. Execs don't give opinions where it can be tracked back to them. Not if they have any real experience. If they have an opinion they want to voice and that if that opinion will be someplace 'public', they goad someone else into doing it for them.
    01-15-09 11:13 PM
97 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD